Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Town Owners: monsters, resources, and decorations?!

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Violation Clauth, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

True but can't they still enter in spo mode?

2. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Towns should have as natural look as possible no wildlife at the very last will look horrible.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos,

Btw, would like to see, in Rat's Nest, rats coming out and crawling the streets at night. Then, retreating back into the sewers before day. (You need sewer grates).

Also would like to see rats appearing in some basements.

Womby, Leelu and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Good point. Of course this begs a new question, how would you like it if your POT mobs and resources were vanishing because of someone in SPO? Doesn't that really defeat the purpose of mobs and resources in a POT (assuming it's meant to have more than one person in it?)

And if the POT does have just one person in it, how is this not exploiting the game mechanics to create a small "snow globe" environment for the sole benefit of one person that can control the entire scene?

Leelu and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Me too. I'm sure that's at the top of the devs list. :)

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Everything related to Rat's Nest should be at the top of their list.

7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

A few people have already touched on the ability of PoT owners to block certain players (which is something I didn't know). I was more thinking along the lines of someone grabbing a scene and then burying it down a few layers from overland access (now that PoTs aren't tied to overland access this REALLY makes it easy to hide a PoT) and having their PoT utilize a hidden resource (i.e. a resource not common in the area in any other scene that allows PoT owner to exploit the limited availability in their favor). Yes, other's might be able to discover the area, and farm it unless the owner bans them, but it could be 2-3 layers down an otherwise bland and resource free looking PoT. This could also be done by guilds to specifically horde resources that are known to be weaker in the area their town is located in order to control the prices easier.

I could also see a griefing aspect here, place high level mob resource at city entrance to lock the zone from anyone other than high level players, while you farm the resources or to prevent others from your farming.

Again, I'm just snowballing ways that could be used to break the game, not necessarily how people would actually implement it.

BDF also touched on my thoughts above about the solo PoT occupant exploit.

Ice Queen and Leelu like this.
  8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I guess I don't understand how this is even possible... we cannot decorate entry areas with barricades or much of anything besides lamp posts because the land isn't flat enough... so how anyone could do that is beyond me. As a town owner I get no special abilities that make me stronger or unkillable or gain more experience than the next guy... I don't get a teleport to my town either. So there is no way I can access my town any different than anyone else. What I do get is the ability to control decorations. If they give us the capacity to decorate around spawns I guess I could see the issue here... but... so far that's not really the case. I think I'd like to try this with Vengeance. I'm going to try to create a griefer's town and see how I do... if I can't do it for pvp then it definitely can't be done for PVE (IMO).

@Themo Lock @EMPstrike @jiirc @Minerva @Sean Silverfoot @Bambino care to help me? You guys all have access to my town already I think (if not I'll be sure to add you to the steward list tomorrow). The goal will be to barricade the town so it can't be accessed without being someone on the list or someone with a home there...

EDIT: read the next four messages... aka... n/m

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

You can't barricade a town, they are designed to not allow it. And there is now way town owners will be able to have rare resources not common in the region, we will be lucky to even get tier one trees or something.

10. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Has anyone given it the old college try?

cartodude, Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

yes.

12. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

nevermind then :D

Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  13. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

So if you cannot barricade the town then what makes it any different than any other scene in the game?

Leelu likes this.
  14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Hey, another thing that's not getting talked about: decorations in the wild.

So everyone wants to drop a mug on the table at the tavern but we've heard of the limitations... what if we had a checkbox that said "citizens can decorate" or something like that to allow us to give all listed town members the ability to decorate non private lot areas... so the NPC tavern could actually have mugs put on the table by everyone who was listed (great for role play imo)...

deco in the wild? ready set go! (is this wanted or isn't it wanted is the real question... and if it's wanted ... how is it wanted)

Leelu likes this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Taverns aren't in the wild :D

Same rules should apply to POTs as to NPC towns on that front. Dropping things in player-run taverns wouldn't be bad, but then it would make sense to be able to lock down some things, like the furniture ;> Setting up picnics wouldn't be bad, but again, same rules as in NPC towns. If we're able to drop a picnic blanket in an NPC town, we should be able to do it in a POT.

Leelu likes this.
  16. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Yeah knowing they have it setup to prevent blocking off entrances/exits removes that concept a bit, but is it far enough away so that monster aggro range wouldn't be able to intersect it? Like I said I don't have a PoT so I'm just off the cuff thinking of potential exploits. I'd say the only potential exploit I can see is still the burying the level a few cities down so no one knows about it (not sure if there is going to be a limit to how "deep" PoTs will be since there seems to be no end in sight to selling of them). Also, as long as there is no different resources than what's in the local area... that kills the second exploit I could see happening.

Sean Silverfoot, Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

I can think of a better solution. Why not make exclusive "tavern" scenes that worked like a backroom? Then you could have all kinds of setups where the mugs and plates could be moved about. Then it's just a matter of allowing players to "book" the backroom for events and gatherings or whatever. The taverns are not that big anyway. But the backrooms could be expansive. To fill the immersion void, the more people that fill up the backroom, the more NPC placeholders are put into the tavern to show that it's "busy".

Another idea would be to allow POT owners to divide up their decoration space and associate it with a building. So for example, as a Metro owner I currently get 130 decorations. What if I goto my NPC tavern and say "in this building I'm going to allow 20 decorations by anyone". So now that area knows it can have 20 of the 130 decorations. Whatever people want to do can be done.

Womby and Leelu like this.
  18. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

That all requires new systems to be put in place... what I suggested would require 1 permissions layer adjustment and use of all existing systems... I was thinking of something that would work for Episode 1. Your suggestion doesn't excite me at all because it's instanced... I like my RP in shroud to be in the online multiplayer environment where people can happen apon it... it's happened for me dozens of times already and I've been asked on several occasions if I was an NPC or an actual player... love it when that happens.

Anyway, my point is... what your saying is cool but it is more work than what I want and it's not what I want. I wonder if we could have both... ^.^ What do others think?

Due to potential griefers I don't actually want this either but this is WAY more up my ally... totally cool and I'd settle with this if it's what I got.

My terminology of the "wild" is something that isn't "claimed" thus it's "wild"... NPC and Portalarium owned ground is "the wild" and everything else is "a private lot" :) Sorry if that's confusing :(

Leelu likes this.
  19. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

That already exists and rewards explorers... do you know where you can go to get a respawning cave of iron and copper (like seven nodes?) to farm without monsters attacking you? I know where one is... I don't use it but I had a player show it to me so I could work on my mining skill without getting attacked (I'll totally be using these in release if they still exist by the way... I'm not going to go slower than other people intentionally during release but I do that now to help comment on the NPE, or whatever they call it...).

It's buried under two zones from Novia right now... how is that different than a POT being buried 2 deep?

20. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Good point. All it really does is free up another location where that is able to be done. As long as they leave in the current ones it really doesn't break it anymore than it currently is (the brokenness of how frequent protected mine nodes are kills me as primary wood and cotton gatherer, iron I haven't found but I know of a great circuit for copper that drops high end resources 1 out of every 3 nodes and has a circuit of 9).

I'll think on it and see if there are any other potential exploits that I can think of from the outside. But that does pretty much address the only ones I've got so far.

Violation, Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.