Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Town Owners: monsters, resources, and decorations?!

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Violation Clauth, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I could care less for node resources in my town. I could have them there or not and I would be fine with that.

I own a Hamlet POT on an island, I want fishing for sure.

As far as monsters go, I want monsters that roam the overland map have a chance to literally enter my POT. The dragons that fly around, the undead and others that roam, sea monsters that swim in from the deep waters etc, etc. I want those to have a chance to enter my POT. I don't want a perfectly safe zone. Random roaming monsters would be great.

Most of all (in this case) I would like to see players building a positive or negative reputation system against monsters so the monsters would try to hunt them down. Also there should be some kind of item that monsters could steal that would make a player want to go out to get it back. I like live events but those are staged and usually at only certain times of the day spread sparsely throughout a year so many of us never get to participate. Though live events have a real mind behind the enemy I think we need something that will put us as players in a position to WANT to go out that very moment to retaliate. This to me would add breathing life to the game to have a nemesis that will attack you in your own home town.

Do I need PvP attached to this? No. I do not have a PvP town but with the addition of pickpockets and a clockwork mechanism that we are suppose to be able to steal parts for from each other. I am thinking about opening my town to PvP.

No guarantees though.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Don't think there needs to be any special or rare nodes anyway. So I don't think Moiseyev's concern should come up. But it makes sense, for instance, if you have a large forested area that's not populated, that some of the trees can be chopped, some of the water can be fished, and there's some wildlife roaming around. Its less about having a goodie for the POT residents, and more about creating atmosphere, plus some meaning for the unused land.

It would just approximate what we already see in NPC towns.

Spoon, Themo Lock, Violation and 5 others like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Of course, if there were depletable nodes for quest related purposes, as DarkStarr alluded to in the idea no. 2, that's a different thing entirely.

Leelu likes this.
  4. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I think they would probably do a good job of preventing quests related nodes from being hijacked. The only even remote possibility I could think of is the wolf pack leader in hidden vale. Otherwise, I can't think of any kill a specific mob or group of mobs for a quest. Really hoping there are not more of those quests either (always hated the kill x amount of y and report back to me quests).

Interesting thought though.

Ice Queen and Spoon like this.
  5. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Okay cool, well I appreciate everyone talking this out... Hopefully the people that wanted to hear this talked about got what they wanted... I can't think of anything else to talk about and I think the devs already have this one read thoroughly so... Happy Happy Happy

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Doesn't matter if they're hijacked if there's a cost to putting nodes up. Lets say there's a gold node, and you have to invest 1 gold ingot for each gold ingot you want to allow to be mined.

7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Another interesting thought... but wouldn't that kind of kill the purpose to have the node if you are the one putting the items in the node? Its great for staging a scene (which may be the intention) but ... just not seeing that concept work.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, it would mainly be about setting up quests for traveling players. Its about staging it for others,yea.

9. Womby

Womby Avatar

I think the addition of roaming animals (birds, deer, rabbits, etc.) would add greatly to the forest areas on my island. As to whether they should be harvestable, I'm inclined to think not. Should I have convenient access to resource nodes on my doorstep because I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase an island POT? I don't think so. To me that seems unfair.

Similarly I think that any monsters that are added should generate only interest, not XP.

Pickley likes this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Can do.

Be quiet, chris.

Violation likes this.
  11. Guppy

Guppy Avatar

Wow, love this thread. I just read Darkstar's ideas and they sound great.
    Before this I was thinking of changing my Underground PoT to above ground, but if we have resource nodes, which I guess would be mining for underground, I would just keep one row house down there and make it open PvP to kill any Bots that may roam in.
    Hmmm... I hope I can kill a Bot.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  12. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

lol

ROFLMAO HAHA @Themo Lock

13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Since they decided to go with static location spawning nodes it makes it really easy to bot them... since they decided to have them guarded by monsters it makes it much harder to bot them IF they make the monsters use tells for powerful moves (which I really really really really really really hope they do in every fight) that kill you if you don't dodge them and have RNG decide when to execute those moves.

Anyway, that's off topic, #gladYouLikedIt

15. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Some great ideas here. What I would like to see is towns get sewers with monsters. Kinda like Owls head. My 2 cents. Now I know devs did say that we were going to be attacked by roving PVE mobs in cities and we would like to see that. What happened with that ??

I like the idea of having player city guards that help keep these roving mobs off the vendors that are trying to hamper business. That way Serenite can have a gang of knights that vow to protect it.

Why not the occasional dragon that comes to siege the town for gold and fresh meat? Imagine a Random dragon flying above setting everyone on fire and the people of your town coming together as one to defend it together.
    This will help unite the town members and force people to play together for a common goal which is keeping the mobs from the vendors so business is as usual.

So my answer is yes we want PVE in ALL towns but it not be there as a spawn. For it to be a RAID type thing. Where the mobs come in gangs trying to take the town for themselves. Like a gang of Satyrs or elves. In a programmers mind it would actually be a spawn just not on a 5 minute timer. More like a random timer that can be days or weeks with no raids on the town. Making the raids too frequent is a bit much if you ask me. Should the town have nodes..?? Definitely a BIG BIG yes for PVP towns. Otherwise why go to vengeance when you can go to a pvp zone with nodes? The only reason people will go to vengeance is for events. I think adding nodes to PVP towns will be crucial to keep them filled with players seeking riches at the expense of their lives if they get slayed.

Who are you calling Candy Cane? I will be a Candy Cane . However the pen is mightier than the sword, never forget that. :p

16. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I would very much prefer the systematic approach.

17. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Check out https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?posts/472807/ (dev+)

That would definitely be cool but also would start to get REALLY old if I came online to find a dragon roasted the town while I slept and 400 hours of work just got burned in a night... there would need to be a way to verify enough people are in the city to have above a 50% chance to win if the dragon engaged... imo.

lol... I agree that too frequent on the encounters will make it boring/frustrating/lame/etc. I think you might be a brother from another mother because that sounds like something my dad would end with... "Themo Locks coal is candy cane" changed to "Who you callin' a candy cane?!" lol

Good stuff sir.

can't we have our cake and eat it? LETS GET BOTH! :D

18. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I would be all for both I am just saying if I had to choose I'd choose that one! Hey I am with you here. Even if I had no resources I'd still want wildlife. Whatever we can do to make them flush with the other scenes of the game is alright in my book.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't think they should be less harvestable than roaming animals we find in NPC towns. I remember seeing deer out of Owl's Head and Braemar. Rabbits roam around Kingsport. You can harvest chickens in Owl's Head. You can fish in any NPC town. NPC towns of course don't have harvestable trees and such because they don't have large ares of wilderness.

But my view is, if its there, it should be harvestable. Don't break the game patterns that exist. Just make sure there's a limit to how much you can harvest, so its less about giving goodies and more about the atmosphere, and there's always a reason to harvest in the wild.

20. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Thank you!!

Here it is in all ITS GLORY!!!!
    • Town Sieges: Towns will begin coming under siege from the eight Cabalists (also known as the Dark Lords). While towns are under siege players must fight, run, or sneak past the siege lines around the town.
    I just stood up in my desk at work and did a happy dance. Wow this is GREAT news.

Perhaps a town herald can send messages to the town Stewards when the town is sieged??

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    Ancev, Themo Lock and Ravicus Domdred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.