Towns.. player run/owned...difference?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Docktor, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Docktor

Docktor Avatar

Is there a difference between player run and player owned towns? I just moved into a player run town today (last spot in Kingswood! :D ) and would like to know something about them.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Player run is a town that does not play a direct roll in the story line, but is not owned nor designed by a player. A Player owned town is a town owned and design influenced by a player in exchange for a large sum of money. Residences of player owned towns can be evicted at will.

Hauk and Duke Albert like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Wel since ATM player owned towns are not in game and the word player run, is really misleading as players at this time have 0 control over who is living in , how decorations are done, what is placed ETC

A player owned town is the only thing that will come out when the game goes live which is and will be the same as player run.

Tahru likes this.
  4. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

It is perhaps each Player-owned Town's owner to shape a dream of civil management, an area to dominate in PVP, add their own historical ideas and role-play to a community who embraces their ideals as residents. It can just simply be a way a place to hang your hat knowing somewhere in the world you'll have a housing lot in a biome you enjoy. For future residents some will ask for rent, some will ask for nothing.

The PoT areas (afaik) will not have main story line elements from Portal in them. Those are reserved for the NPC cities and towns.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I love blanket statements that are incorrect.

To the OP, Tahru speaks truth with regard to the difference between the two terms. Player-run towns exist now as no players directly own any towns yet, but upon launch, BOTH will exist, as the number of player owned towns will be limited in a manner similar to housing, and so some enterprising players may/will acquire lots in close proximity to one another within the smaller stock NPC controlled villages to form player run communities within them.

Something to note: Player Owned Towns, just as with most other aspects of the game, will be able to be acquired (if not already "sold out") within the game after launch for in-game currency.

Kvow [MGT] and Tahru like this.
  6. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Player Owned Towns will more than likely be managed and have events and a common place to count on goods and services being at your disposal. I actually think that they may be more attractive in the long run for players.

7. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

"Player Run Town" is a bit of a misnomer. "Random Housing Lots for Players" is probably more accurate.

8. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I suppose a town that is placed by Portalarium, where plots of land are open to anybody, and has no organized government, we could call a Freehold.

A town that is placed by Portalarium and occupied by an organized group could be called a Township.

Or maybe there are other terms that could distinguish organized from unorganized settlements.

9. Estroma Tólito

Estroma Tólito Avatar

PRT is a normal NPC city without storyline, Is that correct?

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Correct.

Frederick Glasgow likes this.
  11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Great Question!

I will add that my definition is a PRT is a NPC type of town. Events can be held there but that town had it's original purpose and cannot be changed.

A POT (Playe Owned Town) is a creative canvas where the player who bought it can create pretty much anything they want within the limits of the provided systems. House lots can be placed pretty much anywhere there is a flat land. Other decorations can be placed anywhere too (flat land again).

For example - Dara Brae is an island POT design where a Nature Reserve was created to provide a sanctuary for all Druids, Bards, Shephards, Rangers, and Animal Tamers. This Nature Reserve is an evolving piece of art that will continue to change and evolve. I have a larger storyline that will play out over the life of SotA. Every few months an event will be held in Dara Brae to further the players in my created storyline. Anyone is welcome to live in Dara Brae as long as we have room for free.- just bring your own lot and house deed.

I hope this helps clarify

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

PoT: This is MY doungeon and I AM the keeper!
    PrT: It's Ports dungeon and nobody bats an eye
    ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.