Trade using magic movers

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Spungwa, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I'm not a deco man, so my house looks like a storage shed. But i would quite like to have my house decorated. I know people offer services for that, but then it is like real life where i have to have the decorators in. I don't want to bother of sorting out permissions etc for that.

What would be nice is if you could trade the contents of a magic mover with another character and it goes into one of their magic mover slots.

I do see a few issue with this.
    1. Hard to know what you actually going to receive, so could be used to scam players. I think this just has to be accepted and a warning given to the player that they need to trust the player they are trading with when a player added a magic mover slot to the trade window.
    2. Needs to ensure that the magic mover slot is set to same town, else can be used to transport stuff on bulk, if they want to do that they should need to pay the 5 COTOs as you would for your own magic mover slot.
    But assuming these problems are not considered too great, the benefits are big for decorators. They can make up house and sell then fully furbished. You could arrange a viewing, they show you the home and you walk around and can then buy the entire lot contents with all it decorations in place.

Even problem 1 can be overcome by a players offering a trusted third party system. These used to be a big thing in Eve, the trusted third parties did not scam as they made more money from being honest than that one off scam.

Interested in people thoughts, or any other issues that would need to be considered to do this.

Regards
    Spung

Fiero Steele and CatherineRose like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

2-year plan:

not exactly the same thing but making it be the lot rather than a slot is a good way to see what you're getting first.

CatherineRose likes this.
  3. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

That would be so very, very helpful!

4. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

This is probably a very good first move to this. I assume they want this so people can not sniper the lot between the removal and placing by the next person.
    I would think it MUCH simpler to implement a way to transfer placed lots when you can implement it with the restriction that the lot MUST be empty to be transferred. Lots of edge cases etc that you no longer have to consider and test.

Then the seller can just sell what was on the lot with the above method meaning nothing really lost from a player perspective, just means you have to do it in 2 steps. The first step having no risk as you would see the location and deed, only the second step would involve the risk i had already outlined.

Then later when there is more time and resource, iterate on the magic mover trade part so you have some way seeing the contents as you buy as well as a way to combine both trades into one.

Spung

5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Interesting idea, and I could see it being situationally useful, I think the issue would be the trust issue:
    I mean, in your example of using magic mover trade as a method to hire decorators, it would seem you'd need to trust the decorators either way....but you could just give them kindred access and let them decorate and then there's no risk of them taking your stuff that's set to a higher value (trustee or w/e)'. Yeah its fiddling with permissions, which I expect is the inconvenient bit.

But I dunno, what other applications other than 'buying fully furnished homes' would this have? Do we think that 'fully furnished' lot deeds for sale is going to be a high demand thing? Are people going to pay that much more than the deed value for the furnishings? And if you could inspect the contents of the mover slot, would you want to reckon up the price of every rug and bauble to make sure the price is fair? It would seem easier to just get someone you trust to decorate for you.

I'm not against the idea, I'm just not sure how widely utilised it would be, esp. with the inherent risk of dishonesty.

If only you knew someone who decorated things....

6. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Well the answer to the trust part is in the second iteration of the system. Though until then with this system it is freeing you from the same listing of what your buying problem for lot transfers, making secure lot transfers much easier.

I would hope the solution to having a way to see the contents of what are buying is not just list box with a wall of text. Maybe you can place a copy of it on your lot for 10 minutes then it will disappear, giving you time to look around and check you are happy. For that 10 minutes the real one is held in escrow by the system so it can't be changed. Then a way for the buyer to confirm the transaction or not. A wall of text is not a good solution to the problem of seeing what you are buying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.