Trading website idea... help needed

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Sara Dreygon, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I have an idea for a website that would help to facilitate trades between players but need help making it a reality.

The basics are:
    1. Items available for trade would be prepopulated on the site (including pictures and possible free text options - like player made weapons).
    2. Users would list what items they have to offer and what items they're looking to obtain.
    3. Users could message other users regarding offers for said items until an agreement is made and a day/time is made in game to complete the trade.
    An example of this would be me listing two artisan tools, a founder lord house, a lord houseboat, two tax free row lots, and a knight's cloak and an looking for elderberry seeds, a lord marshall's house, a tax free village lot, and a HOB cabinet.

Anyone who has played fantasy sports will recognize this as very similar to the 'trading block' option on fantasy sites where a player can list quarterbacks and defensive ends as available and running backs as sought after.

I'm trying to get this off the ground because there are many trades that players - me included - would like to make and after final wipe and launch but see the marketplace forums getting very bloated and making facilitating trades needlessly difficult and time-consuming.

Please PM me if you're a website whiz and want to help work on this.

Thanks,
    Sara

Rhudaur, Time Lord, amaasing and 3 others like this.
  2. Qwark

Qwark Avatar

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I am sorry but did Berek not have some ideas to stream line the Marketplace to helo this out. The more sites out there the more complex it gets. And the site that hijacks the most people ??

Why not make suggestions to the Market place to make it more viable.

4. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Thanks for the constructive feedback, Weins. Alas, I don't want to work within the confines of the forum system because my goal of 1000+ users each posting and updating a list of 20 items they have for trade and 20 items they're seeking will clutter up the marketplace forum regardless of how streamlined it is hence my idea for a solution to that problem.

A searchable database where a user can type in "elderberry" and 50 players currently offering them for trade pop up is easier even if it would require an additional site to achieve that goal. Further typing in seeking "elderberry" and offering "bronze ingots" and instantly getting 5 users who are offering and seeking the opposite just isn't possible to do within the forum.

I'm hoping this goal isn't more complex than searching thousands of new and old forum posts for items that may or may not still be available... if it is then I'm terrible with ideas which is always a possibility.

Thanks for the link @Qwark! Little bit off from my goal but still a very good system and community service.

Sara

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

hum, ok so a searchable area, makes sense, . I am not a web designer sorry cant help there.

what you want is more like what was in UO with (damn who was it) that pulled data, of course here it would have to be player generated.

gotta be a way to get the data easily.

I know we used Access for our flight records in Iraq, was easy to set up input fields and such and then the data was easily manipulated

Makes sense, and I don't think zeno or whatever this is can do it, yeah I kind see he need, keeping it clean and unbiased may also be more work than the worth.

Time Lord and Sara Dreygon like this.
  6. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

A combination of reddit, imgur, and someone to code CSS and you've got yourself an enterprise ready sales page. :)

Sara Dreygon and Time Lord like this.
  7. Mata

Mata Avatar

8. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

I started http://www.sotaloot.com where people could list stuff but didn't really promote it much or finish off the auctioning system etc.

Am happy to share the code with anyone interested in that.

9. ShroudMarketplace

ShroudMarketplace Avatar

I set up ShroudMarketplace.com to be a place for people to buy/sell any and all in game items. Currently it is limited to add-on store items that can be gifted immediately; however, after final wipe, I will open it up to crafted goods and base materials.

Rhudaur, Time Lord and SinAssist2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.