Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Travel Speed on Overworld Map Is It Too slow? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Miganarchine, Feb 28, 2015.

?

Travel Speed on Overworld Map Is It Too Slow?

1. Yes Speed It Up Please!

60.2%
  2. No It's Just Fine As It Is!

39.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

It definitely needs some improvement - I'm happy for swamps, hills etc to slow you down but roads need to be consistently fast.

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think they need to go through and do a touch up on all the maps.....

Budner, smack and Kaisa like this.
  3. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

I do not mind the overland map at all.
    I like it.

What makes it sad for me is that there are long load times, lots of (boring, useless, tedious) encounters and slow traveling speed.

Mix these together and all I am going to do is get the mask, and then wait for R16 and hope that, as we get closer to alpha, traveling becomes less of a chore and more fun.
    I was at the PvP map (the one with the tour guide for this release), I don't know any more where that was, and I am not gonna travel Novia again to find it.
    Makes this pre-beta less fun for me, and less bugs to be found, if all I get out of it is watching the "loading" screen getting to 100% between slow movement on the overland map.

Budner likes this.
  4. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

It would be better if I can see somehow see "this mountain can be passed" vs. "this mountain can not be crossed" on the map.
    But peering impassable with slow movement (hence and forth) is .... tedious and not increasing my "I wanna play"-hormones level at all!

5. muted

muted Avatar

Yeah, this tour took longer than I wanted to give this game, I'm logging in every release to see what's new and now get the rewards, I don't want to burn myself out on a game that is still in pre alpha and miss out on the final content. I just won't do it.

Moving around Novia to get the reward was extremely tedious with all the random encounters, I rage quit a few times before finally getting the mask this afternoon. At the moment it feels like busy work, holding the keys down to go from point A to point B the feeling of exploration is completely gone, to me it felt like playing final fantasy and I've gotten sick of those after the 7th.. but I think they managed to make the overland travel less bland by introducing the airship and the boat as early as the first game on the nes.

I think the game has potential even if a part of me wanted something isometric and a direct spiritual successor to UO.

6. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

One of the challenges/annoyances I experienced (like others) was being on a road, but passing through a rough terrain hex and slowing down a lot. Even though the graphics show you on a road, underlying it is still a hex system, so you can think you are on a road, but actually be in a forest.

7. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I think it is fine the way it is.

8. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

It is if you're bugged and keep having to walk from the Spectral Mines every time you start on the Novia overland map!

But seriously... knowing that only one small coast of Novia is "unlocked", imagining the traversal of the completed overland map makes me think travel will be unpleasant as it stands.

9. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Ok tweaking the map a bit i understand...making sure slow down points are actually slow down points and the roads allowing for faster travel along with improvement in the random encounters, but why should you be able to travel through thick woodlands, swamps and rocky terrain unhindered? Why should you be able to know which areas are impassable? You find out through exploring. That is the case for many games, including open world modeled ones like skyrim. Who needs another game where every location can be accessed through quick travel? I think a game in the ultima tradition should not just be about what's in point A and point B but everything in between those points as well. Travel is part of the game and tough terrain will give mounts a more meaningful job

4EverLost and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  10. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

Walking on a map . come on Richard. what ever happened to the views you can enjoy

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  11. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

the issue is the wrong size of players... seems that this giant man was walking very sloooowwwwww
    maybe everything can be fixed decreasing the player.. like an ANT...
    it-s right that moving under the world (like on UO) it's last method to reach a city.. too slow.. too boring

when runes and recalls/gates will be implemented no one will walk again on the world map (just niubbies)

sorry for the bad english

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

one place I like is that town in Novia where you have to walk through it to get to that island! If there was more zones you had to walk through to get to other areas, with monster and npc ambushes I don't think people would mind the random encounters much, especially like they have already said there will be side quests and stuff like that in some of the random encounters one day!

travelling like that I think would be awesome!

13. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

As a ranger I walked all over enjoying the 2d ultima online very much. they did such a great job on the wilderness ,even the grass was nice to stare at. the game is a living world of fun. I love walking around just like when my wife and I walk around the medow where my real home lays

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  14. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

Swimming under water adventure would be awsome too.

blaquerogue likes this.
  15. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

[​IMG]

16. Owlbear

Owlbear Avatar

Like others, I'm fine with wilderness travel being slow, but the slow patches on the roads are a real pain and a disincentive to exploration.

It's a couple of releases since I logged in, and I'm loving the updates to the overworld map, though. It's starting to feel like a really coherent world to explore now.

4EverLost and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i think it would be cool if you can just walk into woods, or into the mountains etc... click your mouse and a scene opens up to you! There might be something special there or there may not? either or exploration would be more meaningful and fun.

Oakwind and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That wazS how it was originally...things changed because people complained the scenes were to similar.

19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

all they would have to do is add, more content to the scene based on the region its in! I wish they would go with that and adjust the instances, to entertain! :)

Oakwind and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  20. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

I voted yes, but understand the arguments against (and agree for the most part). The bottom line is, it's tedious. With that in mind, I'd suggest that some manner of point and click movement be implemented vs. the current system requiring you to use wasd, which is a pain in the ass. Scroll to and click my destination in order to travel is more appealing to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.