Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Traveler Overland Encounter (Pumpkin Head) - Traveler is set to be killable by player

Discussion in 'World Building, Scenes, Environment, & Overworld' started by Anpu, Jun 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Edit: I finally noticed something: When you are NOT in combat mode, he is a neutral creature (and killable). When you are in Combat Mode, then they are not killable (your mouse turns blue when you hover over them, like a normal NPC). Perhaps something is bugged or flagged wrong with this NPC?

06/04/2019 12:27
    Title: Traveler Overland Encounter (Pumpkin Head) - Traveler is set to be killable by player
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker?
    Details: The Traveler in this encounter is set to be killable by the player. I don't think that is what they are supposed to be marked as? However they may have been set to that so that the mobs inside will then ignore the NPC. I accidentally killed the Traveler because I had Immolation on.....
    Steps to Reproduce: Enter any Traveler Overland Encounter (Pumpkin Head), after scene loads, place cursor over Traveler, note the cursor is neutral, meaning you can kill them.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16303
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8079
    SotA.Win.64.984.Date.05.31.19
    Area: RandomEncounter_Plains01_Road/PumpkinHead
    Area Display Name: Plains Road Encounter
    Loc: (-11.6, 26.7, -42.1)
    Debug: UmFuZG9tRW5jb3VudGVyX1BsYWluczAxX1JvYWR8UHVtcGtpbkhlYWR8KC0xMS41OTUsIDI2Ljc0MywgLTQyLjA5Mil8KDAsIDAuMTQ2LCAwLCAwLjk4OSl8NzM2Ljg4OTV8MTguMzUxODF8MTEuNTM0NQ==

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

It's been a long while since I talked with a programmer about this aspect of overworld NPCs, but if I recall correctly: All the overworld NPCs rely on an aspect of the combat system in order to engage with players and move them into random encounter scenes. Aggressive NPCs (like skeletons) are enemies and run at you without provocation. Non-aggresive NPCs (like the traveler) are neutral and the combat system only engages when you approach them. "Friendly" NPCs wouldn't engage in combat and would therefore never trip the mechanism to send you into a random encounter.

Alley Oop, Synergy Blaize and Jaesun like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Ok thanks @Sannio that makes sense now. Thank you for explaining that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.