Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Trees, Forestry - Survey, and Pine or Maple?

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Weins201, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ok I am Loving Gathering and how it is progressing but a little curious we have these Beautiful trees but only a Pine looking one is harvestable and is easily spotted a LONG ways away with its Burnt Needles?

Why not use the trees there and make a Maple that is also Harvestable, and as for the Survey Skill simply adjust the "veins" in the tree with different hues. Harder to see at lower levels, and much bright (easier) to see farther away.

My above pics are very rudimentary but I think you get my idea :p

2. Logain

Logain Avatar

I hope that with the new switch to Speedtree-trees we're going to see not only more variety, but also more (and more diverse looking) harvestable trees that are less easy to determine from the others.

3. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah it would be nice if pines and maples actually looked different. And preferably as maple or pine:D

4. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

But will a place that looks like a coniferous forest on the overland map actually still be filled with deciduous trees when you load the scene? :)

5. strabo

strabo Avatar

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I'm disappointed with how rare (and similar) the trees that can be harvested are, and I'm definitely hoping that we see more harvest-able trees in the future. It feels very strange to go in to a big forest and have to hunt around through all of the trees to find the few that can actually be cut down. I miss the "old days", when I could wander from tree to tree in the forests north of Vesper, chopping my way in ever-widening circles around my remote "cabin-in-the-woods". It was peaceful - sure, I'd have to dodge the occasional dire wolf, and the even-less-frequent PK or thief looking to make my hard work theirs - but most of the time, it was my relaxation before (or after) an adventure with some friends to the depths of Covetous.

Sorry - I digress. Yes, I'd also like more trees to be harvest-able, and for those trees to be more varied (and accurate), please. :)

Lord Baldrith, Xandra7 and majoria70 like this.
  6. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

I'm guessing this is a case of "put a couple in, get the template working, and them we can add many more rather easily" design approach.
    So certainly this will evolve.

Also, even in UO (isometric 2d), the tree nodes would become exhausted, and you had no way to see it visually. (Unless it changed much later)
    That said, the nodes themselves were much more dense within the UO forests.

strabo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.