Tribute to Vesper song?

Discussion in 'The Bards of Poets' Circle' started by Smokinjoe14, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokinjoe14

Smokinjoe14 Avatar

The Vesper town music was my favorite music in all of Ultima... I have no idea who the composer is/was, but could someone write something like this for SotA?

Listen here:

2. Margard

Margard Avatar

Nice ... calming and sense of adventure

Time Lord and Papa Woody like this.
  3. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

I'll give it a try.

I'm not sure where I could get it to "fit" in the remaining song slots on crowdsourced music worksheet, but I will see what I can do!

Time Lord and Smokinjoe14 like this.
  4. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

How about this?

I did my best to recreate the same general feel and pacing of the original song without reusing any of the previous melodies. I'm also going to submit it for consideration as the "Human Village" TTF track, as I think that's the only remaining available track that would work with this particular style of song. I hope you like it!

5. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Too many bells. Also, not soothing enough; it's just missing something.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I like it :)

Time Lord and Gaelis like this.
  7. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

There are only bells from the 6 second mark to the 16 second mark. Actually it's not bells, it's a glockenspiel, one of these:

[​IMG]

Still, I think you're right, the tone is really piercing. I had intended it to sound playful, but it's a bit much. I'll do some re-instrumentation of that part or maybe drop it down an octave. I think the rest of the song after the 16 second mark is more soothing, though?

It's my first attempt at trying to replicate the general feel of another song, rather than making something on my own. I'll see what I can do to improve it, because I can see what you mean about it 'missing something'. I think I was working so hard to replicate the general pacing of the original that the song feels a little bit flat.

Time Lord and mikeaw1101 like this.
  8. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

I like it much this way

Time Lord and Sir Cabirus like this.
  9. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

Thank you! As I mentioned just recently, it's my first attempt to try and replicate the general feel and pacing of another song, rather than creating a completely original composition. I'm afraid I'm still a novice at this sort of thing. I think I may see if anyone else happens to have any old favorite tracks that I can try to create "spiritual successors" for.

Time Lord and Sir Cabirus like this.
  10. Drax

Drax Avatar

Aw, I remember that Vesper piece... and I still remember the first time I made it to Vesper. All alone. Fleeing from creatures on the sea. Wonderful times.

Kailef, another thing to consider with the glockenspiel -- you have them in the beginning for a brief period, but then we never hear from them again. It made me wonder a bit why they were there, other than because the bell took the opening melody in the original Vesper piece. The glock' doesn't need to be present constantly, but maybe there's a way to bring it back or something? I notice in the original Vesper piece, the bells return after a bit, though more as percussive accents.

Eh, also, I'm sorry to say that the piece that I submitted a few weeks back was for "Human Village," so that one is currently locked pending Portalarium approval. Or are there multiple "Human Village" pieces? I have a terrible time reading that spreadsheet for some reason.... o_O

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

Drax,

You're right, you've already got that one claimed! I think that spreadsheet needs an audit to make it properly up to date! :) I looked again and can see that Human Village is taken by you, but then it's shown elsewhere as not taken, closer to the bottom. Confusing. (If a dev happens to read this, I'd be happy to do the audit myself, but I'd need edit rights to the sheet. Let me know if I can help!)

I didn't like the glock too much. It was there, as you say, because of the 'bell' opening in the original Vesper piece. What I need is an better, softer, more gentle 'bell' midi instrument, as the glock is too sharp and biting. I might be able to do some compression and filter the highs a little to make it sound better. I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the feedback! (And the correction about the fact that it can't be used for "Human Villlage"... Doh!)

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

Here's what I finally came up with. Because "Human Village" was taken, the only other available slot that was similar was the "Pride & Profits" track, which makes a certain amount of sense because in UO, Vesper is a major trading port.

This version is modified from 80 to 90 BPM, and includes less prominent bells and flutes, and additional horns of various types and a few different melodies to put forward a greater feeling of the namesake of the song, "pride and profits".

This is what I'll be submitting to Poets' Circle for approval, and hopefully to be accepted as game music!

13. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Fingers crossed , I would like to hear it in game, its wonderful :)

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

Holt took a look at it and gave me a suggestion that I resolve the end rather than fade it out, and I had a really good idea. Check it out again if you've already listened. (I didn't upload a new track, I just replaced the one that was there) The rest of the track is the same, it's just the last twenty seconds that are different.

I really like it, I'm surprised how cool it sounds at the end. I keep listening to it and thinking, "I really did that?"

Time Lord, AvatarAcid, Jynx and 8 others like this.
  15. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

You did a great job.. I really liked it. Hope to hear it also in game.

16. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I like it a lot. Excellent work, Kailef :) I really hope to hear it in game.

Time Lord, Kailef and Gaelis like this.
  17. Drax

Drax Avatar

Kailef, this version flows much better, and the new choice for the bells does help tremendously. Nicely done!

18. Smokinjoe14

Smokinjoe14 Avatar

Wow Kailef! Very nice! Really appreciate the time you put into my 'nostalgic' request. Very cool!
    There's something awesome about 'bell,' string and wind instruments used together.

Time Lord, AvatarAcid, Kailef and 2 others like this.
  19. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

I really like this piece! The only thing that bugs me is the instrument at :45 and :53, is it a saxophone? To me it just seems out of place. I am not sure if it is just the notes that are being played or if it is the instrument itself. Unfortunately, I am not a musician or composer. There seems to be a clarinet towards the end of the piece, how would the clarinet sound in place of the saxophone?

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

You're very welcome, I was glad to do it. It was a fun challenge, and as I mentioned earlier I've never tried to create a song that sounds like another song. I'm not sure how successful overall Iwas, though, as the end result isn't the same as the original song - In fact, I did mine in 4/4 and the original is 6/4 - But I think it at least has a similar feel?

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.