Tricks and scams in the marketplace

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brighton Rock, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ash Silvertongue

Ash Silvertongue Avatar

This is not UO and it has been clearly stated by the developers this will not be tolerated. Report such actions and people will be dealt with accordingly. As far as I'm concerned these people can be perma banned and I'd care less if they were. Subterfuge is against the rules in this game and again it has been announced in the forums by developers so quit supporting such actions because the ones who support it are the ones who feed it. You are no different then the media IRL. Grow up.

I don't understand how difficult it would be for developers to make it show up in the inventory as Artisan Tool Reward(small bag) in the trade screen or on the vendor. It does when you highlight it so it should in the screen as well. This way people will read small bag and be more aware this player is scamming you.

@Berek - You guys need to treat this more real. You guys need to make a big deal out of this and stop it because as stated before this will spread like wildfire and it's becoming more of a problem now that people are aware it can be done. Stop it, make an example of these people, hang them high above the city and ruin there name. Okay, I guess that might be a little far but I know in the medieval times you would lose your head for something like this or in some countries stealing would lose you your hand! Regardless, people should be taught a lesson and held accountable for there actions, game or not. If it's against the rules, rules need to be followed through just like they would be with any kid. If they are not, they will walk all over and people will be discourage and could likely even quit the game over such nonsense.

I would like to see a list of all these scammers, they should be blacklisted and be made public. I believe if you are immature enough to scam then people should be aware of it and your name will be mud in-game. Remake your character and start over if you must but I would almost like it if somehow the game developers could tag this persons account and next to there name add (Known Scammer) to it and let them run around with shame. Again, these people need taught a lesson!

In fact someone did quote UO who clearly has no remorse for what's going on here so if UO is going to be brought up let's go to the days if you did something bad or said something bad in-game you were brought into a jail and you could not leave. Hold a trial, burn them at the stake, do whatever you need to do. This would add some realism to the game!

All I can do is buyers be extra cautious on what you are buying and if you see someone scamming the best thing you can do is report it in-game and report it in the forums using screenshots and send to the dev team right away.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  2. Net

Net Avatar

Someone just need to go through reports;)

Acred and nonaware like this.
  3. Womby

Womby Avatar

Money is an abstract representation of effort. Whether it is US dollars or in-game gold, when you deprive someone of it you are depriving them of their reward for effort. Whether that effort involved an hour at a job or an hour in Graff Gem Mines is in my view immaterial. A real world scam and an in-game scam are both deserving of punishment.

4. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

if i catch a scammer be he friend or Foe i will Destroy them, I personally hate that kind of behaviour, makes it a very not fun experience for the victims :/

Thwip, Zader and Vesper Merchant like this.
  5. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I certainly hope Port does something about this directly.

6. Katu

Katu Avatar

For the record, I do think this is a scam and there should be clear indication that that its not a "real deal". But you did not get jail time in UO if you scammed someone. Devs just have to set real rules and enforce them.
    In the meantime, be careful!

Bodhbh Dearg and Fauxpas like this.
  7. Ash Silvertongue

Ash Silvertongue Avatar

To make myself clear, I never said anything about people being thrown in jail for scamming but they should have been. You think being racist was the only good reason for jail time, I think not!

These people need to made an example out of and those who condone there behavior just feeds them to want to do it more. It's not different then the media feeding all the negativity in this world, without the negative media the world would be a much better place, not perfect, but much better! These people who condone this type of behavior are likely guilty and don't wish to be banned so they can scam others or they just don't care. I caution anyone dealing with the people who put up with this kind of behavior as well as anyone who uses subterfuge to get ahead in this game.

People think they have gotten away with it but I assure you the developers will find you and you will pay for your actions. Don't think making an alternate account will keep you safe because they will track it back to you one way or another :D

Acred and Vesper Merchant like this.
  8. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Nearly everyone should have a set of these Artisan tools. I suspect anyone who bought this "cheap" set intended to resell for a higher value to someone else. Nothing wrong with profiting. Yet where is the line drawn? People are selling other items as "rares" that were obtained via what could be deemed an exploitation. The unmarked containers for instance...the blocks without makers marks that were pulled from the store. Should those also be offenses worthy of banning?

People are definitely working the market at varying degrees of what could be considered moral, ethical, or fair. If you start comparing real world laws to a virtual environment you are making a dangerous precedent. Murder is illegal. So it looting from corpses. Collusion, predatory activities, and monopolistic practices illegal in many countries.

I despise scammers. Yet rather than looking to the developers to fix a player created problem we need to look to ourselves. The development team does not have the bandwidth to police every trade within game. If trades involve external fraud such as credit card fraud which is illegal then the developers should be involved.

The game mechanics should be changed so the tool tip always shows the "real" item.

The scammed items should be screenshot and posted so we can possibly track them. If the scammers are friends and we see a name change that name change shows up on the friend list.

Warn your guilds, and friends to be careful. If something is too good to be true, ask others. Stop seeking the Devs to fix a problem WE mostly created. We want player freedom to have a sandbox, don't destroy it. A "nanny State" mentality is WoW.

E n v y, Katu and Ash Silverglade like this.
  9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Spoon had a good suggestion to prevent most of this from happening in the first place. Official pledge tier items and crafted items would appear in different fonts and colors.

Bodhbh Dearg, Acred, Womby and 5 others like this.
  10. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

They already have a 0 Value.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  11. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

And crafted items say "Crafted By" but new players don't know to look for these things. Different fonts and colors provide benefit by making this more clear and there is no downside.

Bodhbh Dearg, Acred, Womby and 2 others like this.
  12. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

Not in this case it's not. A Small Bag is worth pretty close to nothing. An artisan tool sells for real life money or thousands of gold.

And the value is irrelevant. Here someone is advertising something as something else that it clearly is not: Artisan Tool Reward

It is not an Artisan Tool Reward, it is not an Artisan Tool, it is not even a regular tool. "Artisan Tool Reward" is a specific name of a Portalarium-provided pledge reward.

13. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

How would new players know different colors signify anything? Many games let you change the colors of in game fonts within game using text commands. I'm not against the idea, but nothing will fix carelessness or ignorance.

Inform new players and be more careful. I've been scammed in this game before for RL money, several hundred in fact. I learned the hard way and am far more careful.

14. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Please point me to where this is clearly stated, Ive not found it and I thought I might have been scammed earlier but wasnt (basement deeds look like notes, but not underlined ) so I contacted Port and asked berek and ask for confirmation
    about scamms. All he said was that I was ok, which Id worked out fo myself by time he had a chance to reply busy man that he is, but I got no confirmation that scamming was either allowed or disallowed.

Also as others have pointed out there is a fine line, Goobi is obviously scamming selling something that claims to be something it isnt, seen his bags all over the place. But what of the situation of a player selling a house deed for a bargain price
    when a noobie sees it and buys it thinking hes getting a house but then finds he needs a lot to place it, is there really much difference, hes out of pocket and probably more pissed off than if hed bought a bag for 6k.

Fauxpas and Elwyn like this.
  15. Ash Silvertongue

Ash Silvertongue Avatar

This is a quote from Berek via an in-game mail from a guild member got from him.

"Hi "User"(name not revealed due to not having permission)

Thank you for submitting this concern. Yes, they can be held accountable if they knowingly renamed the bag for the purpose of subterfuge.

Our process is usually to give a warning, and then if necessary, further actions may be taken.

If you see any specific reports or concerns, please have those who notice these action send a support ticket with details (screenshot, chat, etc.) tosupport@portalarium.com.

Thanks!
    [​IMG]"
    --------------
    Seems to be this is pretty clear if players have intentions to rename the bag by means to mislead a player it is perhaps not bannable YET but that does not refuse Portalarium the right to take necessary action is needed. If things continue getting worse and more out of control they will have no choice.

De la Cueva, Acred, smack and 2 others like this.
  16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Every player need to bug report this and get it taken care of not let it continue one more day.

Acred, Alexander, Baalice and 4 others like this.
  17. Ash Silvertongue

Ash Silvertongue Avatar

There is a clear difference when someone is selling a bag for something it is not and then that player is out 6k because that player SHOULD NOT turn around and sell it as how it was posted or they are equally as guilty. As far as the noobie that comes along and buys a house cheaper then normal, the seller of that house is not at fault because the noobie did not read that a lot deed is required to have to place a house. That is public information to everyone and that noobie can turn around and sell that house for a profit if he bought it for one hell of a deal, the other guy can rename the bag "small bag" and sell it for a huge loss.

18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

"Yes, they can be held accountable if they knowingly renamed the bag for the purpose of subterfuge."

I read this and it says to me that Portalarium is ok with what's going on because it's inline with the virtues of existing game mechanics.

19. Ash Silvertongue

Ash Silvertongue Avatar

This is incorrect as renaming a bag and selling it for purpose of subterfuge does not affect your virtue in any way whatsoever. If this is the case then there needs to be a separate virtue for scamming and when players are reported for such things and we have proof of it then it needs to clearly be stated in-game, clear as day , item marked in red on the vendor that this person is known for scamming.

20. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

That SUX !!!

Acred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.