Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

True bronze pickaxe numbers are wrong.

Discussion in 'Release 29 Bug Forum' started by Mobidoy Querrent, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

Mining with a True bronze pickaxe, it takes only 2 seconds to get the ore, while using a standard pickaxe takes 22 seconds.

My skill:

mining Proficiency: 66.7
    swift gathering: 46%
    Meticulous collection: 14%
    Survey Distance: +3.5

So, with a pickaxe found on the floor in the cave, it takes me 22 seconds.

True Bronze Engraving Pickaxe stats:

+5 mining level
    +50% Mining gathering time bonus
    +3 mining survey distance

So, 22 seconds - 50% should be 11 seconds and not 2 seconds

I have looked at the /stats with both pickaxes equiped and, the numbers are right:

normal pickaxe:

MiningLevel: 66.71839
    MiningCollectionExtraNodeChance: 0.14
    MiningGatheringTimeModifier: 0.46
    MiningSurveyDistance: 3.5

With the True Bronze Pickaxe:

MiningLevel: 71.71839
    MiningCollectionExtraNodeChance: 0.14
    MiningGatheringTimeModifier: 0.96
    MiningSurveyDistance: 6.5

So, the stats from the True Bronze Pickaxe are applied correctly in /stats (the variables) but, somewhere, makes it so that there is something applied over the extra 50% in time bonus.

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This appears to be working as intended based on internal testing. Are you sure the nodes you were harving from were of the same size/difficulty? The only way we would observe a different of being down to two seconds would be if the node harvested was a lesser/easier node.

3. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

Nope, tried and tested on the same nodes in Etceter, both pickaxe on small, medium and large nodes, gold or iron, makes no difference.

When I do a critical, I barely have time to double click the node that I can collect it. Instantinuous.

Many have talked about it in the Noble chat, even when my time bonus skill was under 20, I had those times.

Jump in game, come to etceter and I will make you try one XD

4. Noric

Noric Avatar

As a point of reference, true bronze pickaxe reduces mining time as much as GM mining swiftness. It is entirely possible that these numbers are set as intended, but they likely need to be balanced.

(the bonus is 50 mining gathering time bonus - which is the same as halving mining time. That also works additionally with mining swiftness so there is currently no mining time at GM mining swiftness with a true bronze pick)

.96 gathering time modifier means MINING_TIME = (1-.96) * BASE TIME

Since the Base time is around 25 pickaxe swings the mining time becomes 1 pickaxe swing - or around 2 seconds.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Oba Evesor likes this.
  5. Attenwood

Provide me with a node location you're observing this at via /loc, and I'll verify. As of latest patch 413, mining between normal and normal with true bronze engravings appears working as intended on my end.

6. Noric

Noric Avatar

It IS working as intended. The formula and numbers are just set poorly.

Oba Evesor and Ice Queen like this.
  7. Attenwood

I see the issue now, thanks for the additional details.

Oba Evesor, Ice Queen and Noric like this.
  8. Noric

Noric Avatar

The underlying issue is the use of an additive % time reduction. This causes major problems at the extreme ends (<20 or >80). The numbers were just set in a way that triggers those issues quite easily with the engraving. I previously outlined an alternative formula that would be less prone to these issues : https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/big-thread-of-mining-suggestions.47511/

(I would note that before engraving swiftness was .8% per level though now it is .5% per level . Any formula in my thread is using the old system - which would obviously need to be adjusted numerically.)

9. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Base collection speed for tier 4 mining nodes is 40 seconds. 1-.96 = .04% of that speed = 1.6 seconds. That appears correct.

Ice Queen likes this.
  10. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

Yup, with your formula, it makes sens.

What i did is, I went from node to node until I had a fail with the True Bronze pickaxe ( (used a stop watch)) :

Area: Etceter Crag Mines (Novia_R2_Hills01_EtceterCragMines) Loc: (59.4, -10.0, 80.9)

Time with true Bronze ( 46.5 + 50% from the tool ) = 1.4 seconds ( fail)

Time with Prosperity pickaxe (46.5) = 21.4 seconds (success)

So, when I reach GM, with 50% from the skill and 50% from the tool, mining will be instantaneous....

I would see if the 50% from the tool was 50% of the actual time bonus (So in my case, 46.5 + 23.25 (50% of 46.5) = 69.75 which would give 12.5 Seconds. so, at gm, the Max would be 75% with the tool equip so, still 10 seconds for a tier 4 node.

Another thing I have reported so far Attenwood is that, either the Tool repair kits or the True Bronze Pickaxe are faulty, when the pickaxe is down to 0 durabilty, 0/80 in the case of mine at the moment I am writing this, I can stay in Etceter (replace by any mining area) and use the repair kit on the tool (without any crafting station) and it will reset to 100/100 every single time.

1 tool kit should not take you from 0 to 100 in durability and, should also not repair your max durability without a crafting station.

Will test the repair kit with a Pickaxe laying around in etceter and will report back how the tool kit act on those.

11. Noric

Noric Avatar

All tools are repaired like that. I believe that it may have been intentional though I'm not sure why.

12. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

It needs to change lol, you only need to bring 3-4 repair tool kits in Etceter ( or any other mine) mine all night long no Mather your burden, once done, logout, start on world map, walk like you need to take a dump to your house (which is in Etceter for me) and you have made a great amount of Iron/copper....

I know that we only are in early access but, just a friendly reminder before final wipe ;-)

13. agra

agra Avatar

Eventually, with enough time, everyone will have all the resources they need. Making it arduously tedious and inconvenient will not attract new players, it will drive them away.

Respectfully, it's supposed to be a game, not a job. Entertainment. Fun. Waiting 35 seconds for a harvest is the very antithesis of fun. I do not understand the perspective of arguing to make harvesting take longer. :confused:o_O

Fister Magee and Net like this.
  14. Noric

Noric Avatar

With the 2x bonus I was able to reach 70 swiftness the first day of release. I agree that making everyone take 30+ seconds is absurd, but there are some acceptably low values. I think somewhere 6-10 seconds with ideal tools and GM swift gathering is entirely appropriate. 2 seconds is unnecessarily low. Additionally, I was able to craft a true bronze engraving within the first 2 days of release just using my own materials. Given the ease of leveling skills and getting engraving tools I'm not overly concerned about 30+seconds values for the highest tier nodes for basic tools and low skill.

15. agra

agra Avatar

There will be no bonus of any kind after july 28th. These current rates will be halved.
    Add to that, there is the target demographic to consider. When people hear you get to stand around for over 30 seconds, doing nothing, just to get 1/400th of the mats needed for one suit of armor? They're not going to want to play that game.

16. Noric

Noric Avatar

I would be surprised if I didn't have 40+ mining swift on the first day with no bonus. I get where you are coming from for target demographic, but you need to consider that people aren't required to engage with crafting and don't get exposed to resource gathering first with max tier nodes.

So much of the noncombatant systems appear to becoming more trivialized. I thought that we were following in the footsteps of a sandbox game where crafting was a playstyles? If all you do is cater to people wanting everything easy, crafting is going to become a gimmick minigame that is just a temporary distraction from the combat of the game.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  17. agra

agra Avatar

The moment they put in guarded nodes, crafting as a playstyle was killed. I share your desire, Noric, but that ship sailed long ago, for Shroud.
    And to put it gently, there is a grey area between easy and tolerable. I don't want the harvesting to be easy, I want it to be tolerable. Right now, if I get to 74+ swift, and I use engravings, it's tolerable. And I'm consuming (using gold sinks) the entire time I'm harvesting, as well. As far as design goals goes, it's not that bad.

18. Noric

Noric Avatar

74 swift with a bronze engraving is the same thing as 107 swift last release. Considering that they actually reduced the base time to mine this release you're actually talking about 110 mining swift last release.

I just don't think that node times being that low at the beginning is needed.

19. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

I don't see the issue.. his 22 seconds was after 46% speed reduction for his swift gathering -mining skill.
    22 seconds / 0.46 = 47.82 seconds base time.
    47.82 seconds - (47.82 * (0.50 + 0.46) ) = 1.9 seconds with True bronze engraving + 46% swift havesting bonus.

Could someone explain what I"m missing?

20. Noric

Noric Avatar

The mechanics are working as designed.

However, previous to this patch you would need to have 120 mining swift to reach that speed (unrealistic for the vast majority of people) whereas now you just need 92 skill. It is pretty easy to assume that the devs did not intend the most challenging nodes in the game to take a single swing to mine - so this would be considered a bug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.