Trust but varafy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gramps, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

We need to be able to be able to watch the making of Armor, Weapons, Etc when we hand over the materials to make our items to a Smith, Tailor, Etc.
    I keep hearing ole snap!......... it broke.
    How do I know it broke ? They may have made the most uber piece and decided that would be great for them to wear or sell. Seems a lot of stuff is broken. I'm losing faith in these crafters.
    I know about the 25% chance of making the item but really ? You Dev's made it almost impossable to make something and destroy all of it ?
    What a bunch of ass holes. Why destroy it all ? Most of it should be salvageable.
    Mining has become a job and is not fun at all any more. I hardly ever go mining any more. Its been months I hate it so bad.
    635 ore to make a suit of armor that is destroyed in a few seconds. This is not fun.
    Isn't a game suppose to be fun ?
    Should I spend a full day in the mine killing mobs, killing mobs, killing mobs, get one piece of ore, killing mobs killing mobs , killing mobs, another piece of ore.
    Maybe you Dev's should try playing the game. I don't mean with an uber character either. Try it with a level 50-60 character and go mine 1000 ore. Give that character an average build too. No cheating. You can be banned.
    Maybe after you actually do play in the mines you will want to get a bot so you don't have to do that boring crap. You might understad too, why we need to be able to see our hard earned materials being used.

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I agree about the salvageable part... however you have to understand that those decisions have to be made about difficulty because of the limited amount of content devs can output. Ultima Online worked like that as well...

To me it all makes sense in the context of open PvP, because ressources change hands more easily and you are not forced to craft your own armor to make it affordable. Often some bandit could try to steal your miner but you had a friend nearby and instead the bandit ends up dead and you happen to know where his house is, you hide and wait for them there, and once they show up with their key, BAM. You did lose 2000 ores by breaking stuff, but you just stumbled upon 10000 ores in the bandit home.

I do understand the devs wanted the game to be hard, and those decisions are inevitable because of the amount of powergamers we attracted with the current model.

However I also think that in order to be fair, there should be heavy enforcement and moderation to make sure some players are not cheating/meta-gaming. I won't make any conjecture here but it seems hard with no GM team...

3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Ive been harping about this for 1.5 years. I still have never gotten the percentages they claim in the thousands of things I have made in this game. 25% chance to master craft a chain piece.... make 100 and end up with 15. Add to that the destruction of the items with the same issue its insane. I dont even try to craft any more, its just a waist of hundreds of hours of my time.

This is something that VAST majority of players in the game hate and people have harped on it forever but they are stubborn and refuse to do something simple like at least giving some materials back. I seriously think this issue has probably caused thousands and thousands of people to leave the game.

King Robert, Numa and FrostII like this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Any idea why they would refuse to fix the materials being salvaged ?

I'd think that maybe you can reuse the material, but don't have any chance to create an exeptional item ; not that it would simply disapear ! Also I thought only the "fuel" type materials ended up being burned ?

To me even the harvesting process was so painful that I had no interest in even attempting to craft, and I was a big crafter in UO. :(

Even if I managed to set up a vendor I think any super guild or mega crafter would keep me out of business by fixing prices...

FrostII likes this.
  5. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I guess I haven't payed attention, I tend to make my own gear. I see no reason it can't say if it breaks or exceptionalled in the text log of everyone in ear-shot. That would at least address your concern that people may be faking breaking.

(I doubt any of the crafters I know would mind. Indeed, I think many would welcome the improved transparency and the boon it would be for them)

6. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

Were talking about Master Crafting here
    Ahuaeynjgkxs not plane ole crafting where all you lose is the fuel.
    When they master craft it can break and you lose it all.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I broke a bronze chest on a mastercraft recently and it gave me 4 Bronze sheets instead of metal Scrap. You do get good materials back once in a while.

8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

As a crafter, I would very much like the game to provide some confirmation of mats being destroyed. I really prefer not to be in a position where I if take a rare mat from someone and it fails and I have to hope they believe me.

Sir_Michael, Nikko, Numa and 4 others like this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Very good point.

Thanks for the clarification @Gramps

10. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I make things beforehand and price based on average expected cost, but to be fair, pricing isn't very easy for a lot of items in SotA. That's one of the big downsides of having so many different random effects in play at once. If someone wants me to make something specific for them and asks me how much it will cost, the answer is usually "I'll have to get back to you on that".

11. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

That would certainly solve the problem, I think failure is more important than the 3 choices though. I think faking the choices is far less likely than saying "oops, it broke" and pocketing it. Still, it's a good idea. Hopefully we can see something along these lines soon.

12. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Alright since nobody else did it... I'm gonna do it! What's a "varafy" ? :rolleyes:

On a serious note... I don't see any problem with adding the ench/mw failure to the text log since it is kind of a big deal.

13. Numa

Numa Avatar

This is why I only make +4/+5 items for myself and just buy anything better that I want from the market. What those master craftsmen go through is something I can only imagine - it simply isn't worth it for me.

Nikko and FrostII like this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

It's what happens when someone doesn't care about the little red lines that often appear under words. :eek:

3devious and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

You mean that isn't just for good emphasis?

FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  16. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Oh I thought it was from the movie Sneakers, lol :rolleyes:

FrostII and Tiina Onir like this.
  17. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

I have to agree and add that as a crafter I feel enormous pressure not to blow up stuff. I know the person that brought me the materials worked very hard for them. Combine that with the RNG algorithm which can go hot or cold on you. It's a stressful situation and not fun at all. I've even chipped in my own materials just to get someone the item they wanted because I blew up all the materials they brought me. Some people have even got pissed off at me for explaining how the masterworking/enchanting system is designed. So, now I'm somehow responsible for a very punitive system. And of course as the OP said, I'm always wondering if the customer even believes me when I say something blew up.

New policy for me. I will not take your materials to make custom gear anymore. Customer tells me what they want. I give them a price. If they accept I make it. The customer can sell silver/gold on the market to raise funds.

Sean Silverfoot, Nikko, Numa and 4 others like this.
  18. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Yeah, that's so awkward! How is that, at all, good for business!? I'm sure the devs will see our plea eventually.

Nikko likes this.
  19. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I usually buy already made and so it's never an issue. But I have also crafted my own and have seen how they can blow up. When I have traded mats to guildies to craft,I never wonder if they are being honest, I trust everyone of our guild members. I guess it's in knowing who crafts for you, my advice,if you are in a guild,go to them first. If they can't ask around about who can be trusted. Believe me, Masterworking and Enchanting can blow stuff up a lot,even when the crafter has really great skill.

20. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

There's a bit of a difference between doing something for a guildmate and selling to the general public. Most of the people I know doing this, are doing it just for guildmates; it's hard to do it outside because of the trust question. That's exactly why adding this to the log would be great.

Numa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.