1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Truth, Love, and Courage Armor

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by DarkStarr, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would never suggest getting rid of the symbols entirely.. BUT.. I don't want a trophy.. I want to be able to wear a piece of armor and have it feel natural to be worn. I don't want to feel like I'm wearing a suit made from a billboard.

Playing a knight, I totally love the armor of courage so far EXCEPT for the huge overpowering symbol on the chest. I feel like virtue symbols should be cleverly worked into the detailing but as they are they're a distraction.

To be completely honest though I've never been fond of how "uniqueness" and "rarity" have been excuses for putting prominent symbols on everything. It's not the symbols that make the object valuable in these cases but the simple, literal rarity of the item. There was no virtue symbol on that piece of horse poo that sold for 1 million gold in UO all those years ago.

I guess I'd just like all the symbols to not feel like a gimmick. These pieces really are great. I couldn't stress that enough, but I've really had it "up to here" with prominent symbols on all things "Avatar"

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

The symbols would ideally be in the details.

Hazard and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  3. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Generally heavy armor has + to strength. I need heavy armor with + to int and don't wear light armor so if the armors stay as one type then I am locked from using them at all. If however the truth armor can be any type of armor then I can use a heavy armor type truth set and have what I would want for my spec out of them. This is similar to say an archer who wears heavy armor. They may want the benefits on the leather armor but not be able to use it due to it being a light armor type. By locking the type you lock the flexibility of it's use for different types of play. The current dread artifact Bone Steel Crown for instance has great stats on it for mages and matches the armor type the player is wearing so my crown is heavy armor and matches my set and it is light armor for people who have that set type.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's very much intentional that it doesn't work that way. Only certain head pieces are considered universal.

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think what she's getting at is that she doesn't want to find out that the armor set that has the bonuses she wants is not the type she wears?

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't believe he's asking for universal pieces.. but heavy, leather and cloth versions for each virtue.. ie leather of courage, cloth suit of courage, plate armor of truth etc..

jolanar likes this.
  7. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Great job! Really enjoy these

Cordelayne likes this.
  8. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

If it is intentional that needs to be fixed. It makes no sense that to be a follower of truth and be able to use that gear I can only wear cloth. The virtues should be universal and be able to be championed and worn by any type of player.
    A version type of each would be a perfect solution and make a lot more sense logically to the storyline so that any player of any class can champion any of the virtues. This would also fix any issues with needing a chest piece to define the armor type like the current universal item.

FrostII likes this.
  9. Albus

Albus Avatar

I'd like to see those armour styles available without the symbols as well (perhaps a non-courage version using that same plate without the courage attributes and without the symbol, that can be crafted and/or with a version on the store. Those are nice styles, add variety, would be good to have alternates without the symbols available without the link to courage, truth, etc. If you have the bell on yours, it shows yours is the courage version, store/crafted version lacks bell and courage attributes, & similar for other virtue armour.

Love seeing more realistic armour designs coming into the game, with actual neck protection & such :p

Rentier likes this.
  10. Blade Savage

Blade Savage Avatar

As a melee fighter in both armor types ... you sir are nuts! :D

Athanil likes this.
  11. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

I prefer the term, "Moderately insane";)

12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

These are armours specifically dedicated to a Virtue. Yes, we need more variations of armor styles, but let these be unique and leave the symbols as they should be. If you are going through the motions to get dedicated armor only to file off the symbol, then you aren't worthy of having it anyway.

Bankee and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@DarkStarr
    Will there be a matching quiver for the leather armor?

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I am relieved to know I am not worthy of a giant cartoon iron-on patch.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm sure that you can safely disregard these items if they're not up to your standards.

16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Sure thing, princess.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Let's keep it civil shall we? It's not worth bickering over.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  18. shathiell

shathiell Avatar

These look good. It gives us something else to collect along these paths. Quick couple of questions:

• Will the quest for these be available after the main quests for each path or during (Similar to BDF's question I believe)?
    • Will they suffer secondary durability loss? If they do will there be a way to recover them (Through a repeatable quest for example)?

19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

As someone who wears chain-mail, I am completely left out of all of it.

Hey @DarkStarr have you guys forgotten that chain-mail is the 4th armor type ???? :mad:

Exactly ^^^

Lockey2, Kain Darkmoor and Gamician like this.
  20. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Maybe there will be a Chaos chain mail. That'd be cool.

During Friday's telethon, it sounded like these might be part of lower level quests. At least one Courage piece is part of a quest that takes place in one of the Tier 2 mines.

shathiell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.