Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Turning while rooted

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Lazlo, May 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I've noticed that when a player gets rooted, they are not only immobilized, but they also cannot turn at all. Before the new targeting system was put in, you could target something behind you and use a targeted ability to spin you around to it. Now you're just stuck facing the wrong direction and getting hit until the effect is gone if the mob isn't in your field of vision.

Mobs also cannot turn while rooted, which I think makes the spell more powerful than it is intended to be. You can root something and stand behind it hitting at close range while it's stuck just looking the opposite direction. It's basically a very long duration stun that can be applied indefinitely when used this way.

I think being able to turn but not move would make more sense for both players and mobs.

Ice Queen, KuBaTRiZeS and Time Lord like this.
  2. Xail

Xail Avatar

You could be right...and the other point of view is that being mainly a melee magic skill (earth and the check on the strength) if the target can also turn it could end up being too weak...

If they change the spell disabling the turning while rooted should also they change its casting time from 1 sec to instant to balance it a bit?

I have heard it "easy" to escape from it....can someone "high" level that have tested it share his opinions?

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I don't think it would be too weak of a spell if mobs could turn while rooted. At a skill level of level 60, which is very easy to achieve, root lasts 12 seconds. Compare that to the different stun and knockdown skills and I think that it's clear you shouldn't be able to melee at close range vs. a rooted mob without it being able to hit you.

I'm not sure what you mean by easy to escape from, but I think all of those types of effects have some sort of level differential modifier for effectiveness. I don't know that for a fact though.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Xail

Xail Avatar

I mean how easy is to jump out of it? (not counting the CC buff that stacks to prevent being CC for a long time) (...and there are other counters....like confusion to avoid opponent getting close...and several kind of teleport to get out of melee range while rooted...)

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Upon closer inspection, apparently you don't even need to be standing behind a rooted mob in order for it not to be able to hit you. You can stand right in front of it punching it in the face and it won't melee, shoot or cast until root has worn off. So maybe just a new bug and not intended behavior.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Xail

Xail Avatar

The duration of root depends on several factors....strength one of those.....so it is very short in PVE vs big mobs....

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  7. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

ive said this for 6 months or so.

working as intended as far as ive been told.

KuBaTRiZeS and Lazlo like this.
  8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Wow, that is crazy. I mean, it's a full blown stun with 20 range that exceeds 15 seconds at high level.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

With positional (aka backstabbing) attacks in the game, I think it makes sense that there is a mechanism (root) to enable one to achieve that other than simply stealthing. Other games I play allow the same thing.

Sara Dreygon and SeleneNoctua like this.
  10. Xail

Xail Avatar

...nope...it does a check on your and the target strength...I root bears for like 2,5 sec...and the description say something like 7 seconds...and I have to waste one second to cast while he can it me...

SeleneNoctua likes this.
  11. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

At higher level the only noticeable drop in duration is when fighting a much higher level mob. You can just run around turning everything into pinatas without taking any damage.

edit: I can do a screen record sometime if it's really necessary.

agra likes this.
  12. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It might make sense to have some ways to utilize back stab, but that doesn't justify having an unconditional cheap ranged super long duration stun.

agra likes this.
  13. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

ive outlined how it should work many times. here it is again.

root should keep a mob in place. They are able to attack. the inital effect keeps them totaly in place but after 2 secs they can rotate and hit.

the problem comes with how they acheived this skill effects.

there is no code for binding a mob to a LOC/POS (spot).

what they do is add a 100% slow to the mob to stop all movement.

This however also effects to attack rate which is now also 100% slow.

They are trying to work on getting them to at least attack. but i think they gave up for now and offered the duration change as a fix. (didnt work)

Lazlo likes this.
  14. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

That is why they changed the wording to Immobilize.

Leostorm likes this.
  15. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

I really dont understand the over look of this skill, and I will continue to not understand.

Its an essential skill for many reasons, but it needs a major code overhaul.
    If cant be fixed using the current code, then it needs to be re written from the ground up.
    And imo warrents the time/money involved to do so.

Now I just used str buffs before I cast, anything remotly near my level gets turned into a free gustball :)

16. Xail

Xail Avatar

Is movement speed effecting attack speed????

17. agra

agra Avatar

From a 20 year MMO vet, Shroud's implementation of Root seems insanely overpowered.

Eventually, everyone will be using it so much it will be nerfed, or simply become the skill 99% of players have, because it's so amazing. It's a stun, root, petrify, immobilize, silence, and stifle all in one, when used against NPC's. If it was just a root, though, no-one would use it. Why not? Because it wouldn't have the stun, immobilize, silence, stifle as well. I mean seriously, a 15+ second stun? There's a reason D&D as well as other games separate out all these different crowd-control effects and never or rarely combine them. It's just too powerful to have them all together. What normally would require multiple classes, never mind multiple players, spells, scrolls, enchanted items, wands, or similar things, is just in one button!? :eek::eek::eek:

I rarely say this, but I'll say it now: It needs to be nerfed, today. Why? Because nerfing it now will be far better than nerfing it a year from now when all builds and play styles have it included because of it being so overpowered and convenient.

I've seen similar situations play out in balancing passes made post-persistence/post-launch, and the response is universally negative. Better to get it over with before the gaming public has their expectations set after July 28th, 2016 that most if not all changes should be positive.

Xail and Lazlo like this.
  18. agra

agra Avatar

One of the best implementations for allow backstabbing (even while solo/alone) uses this, instead:
    Mez Target (briefly)
    Teleport (in a puff of smoke if necessary) you, the attacking player already in melee range, behind the target.
    Backstab the target, breaking the mez.

Best part? It's a great tool in a group too, because it lets the backstabber get behind the creature if they're already in melee range, and the mez then can be used as an interrupt as well.

I think the last game I saw that used this very clever implementation was Vanguard, but I could be mistaken.

19. Noric

Noric Avatar

Root significantly needs differentiating from stun. There should be limitations on root while also increasing some degree of power beyond what a stun can do.

agra likes this.
  20. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

No its just a universal Slow that gets added to the mob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.