Two- bit.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tekkamansoul, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Two bits is not enough, people.

We've hit Avatar Update 256. I'm concerned if we continue without upgrading to four bit integers that the next update will crash the internet.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Rentier, Spoon and Birko like this.
  2. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

You need to think bytes instead of bits. Two bits go to 3. Four bits go to 15. One byte-- eight bits-- goes to 255. Two bytes-- sixteen bits-- go to 65535. Two bytes will last quite a long time.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Um... two bits can only count to 3.

Olthadir likes this.
  4. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

I think we are good. Just like decimal numbers it just keeps adding extra rows.
    so 257 would be 0101. Unless you programed in COBAL.

[​IMG]

5. Mototopo

Mototopo Avatar

It always seemed suspicious to me that in the first space tether mission the satellite deployement in space stopped after "256" meters of cable was deployed :(
    They said it was due to a protruding bolt due to a late-stage modification of the deployment reel system, but, i suspect that a former software programmer now has a new job as a "human lightning rod".
    from wikipedia:
    TSS-1 mission
    [​IMG]
    Close-up view of the Tethered Satellite System (TSS-1) in orbit above the Space Shuttle Atlantis.
    Tethered Satellite System-1 (TSS-1) was proposed by NASA and the Italian Space Agency (ASI) in the early 1970s by Mario Grossi, of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, and Giuseppe Colombo, of Padua University. It was a joint NASA-Italian Space Agency project, was flown in 1992, during STS-46 aboard the Space Shuttle Atlantis from 31 July to 8 August.

The purposes of the TSS-1 mission were to verify the tether concept of gravity gradient stabilization, and to provide a research facility for investigating space physics and plasma electrodynamics. This mission uncovered several aspects about the dynamics of the tethered system, although the satellite did not fully deploy. It stuck at 78 meters; after that snag was resolved its deployment continued to a length of 256 meters before sticking again, where the effort finally ended

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.