Ubuntu/RX400 & 500 series AMD proprietary driver issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Sorthious, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

For those using RX400 & 500 series(via AMD):

I had this problem when my OS wouldn't boot after Ubuntu updated. Unfortunately it took me 2 reinstalls to realize that the driver supplied by AMD was the cause of the issue. For now, until the issue is fixed, I'm using the default driver supplied by Ubuntu.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I had purchased components for a new PC that included a Ryzen 7 processor and a RX 480 GPU. I had specifically waited for Ubuntu 17.04 because the Ryzen processors have issues with kernels prior to 4.10. Then, I discovered that the AMDGPU-PRO driver didn't work on kernel 4.10. :mad:

Way to go AMD. Anyway, the solution was to return the RX 480 and get a GTX 1070.

majoria70 likes this.
  3. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

The AMDGPU-PRO driver did work prior to 4.10 kernel, but yeah, definitely a bummer. I am using the non-proprietary drivers supplied in Ubuntu now and they work fine. I'm getting up to 61FPS in most hunting areas(most towns/cities are horrible.) Also, AMD says they are working with Canonical to get the incompatibility with the 4.10 kernel fixed. Hopefully, it won't be too long.

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.