Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

UI Accessibility (For low vision, colour blind, etc)

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Vagabond Sam, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

Just thought I'd make this a thread in case there are other with similar situations.

I have vision that isn;t great. Don't get me wrong, it's not debilitating beyond not recognising people at a distance or not being able to drive.

However as video games get higher definitions there is a tendence for items on screen to shrink.

Now this isn;t specifically abou tthe UI in terms of HP bar and such which I know isn;t in 'testing' for R2, but in relation to the crafting set up currently the amount of small icons and lack of contrast in some cases has me struggling.

The scissors get lost in the fabric, as does to loom shuttle for example.

I would appreciate if there was some consideration for usability, without too much of a hit to 'realism'. Some ideas for clearing up the clutter and streamlining a little are below.

1. I understand that in future 'known' recepies will be automated. However in cases like the Forge and Smeltery, coal appears to act as a 'fuel'. Perhaps a 'slot' that allows us to place a stack and then experiment without regard to the 'correct' amount of coal.
    2. The right tool is important so having to pick the right one to 'discover' recepies is great/ But if they had a 'slot' on the table where they snapped to and were clearly identifiable (Multiple 'snap points' where more then one tool may be required). That would help me not lose tools, or try to work while a tool is ruining my results unknown to me.
    3. The naming convention currently has a lack of consistency. If I look for 'Iron' items they are 'Iron Ingot', 'Iron Wire' and 'Iron Plate'. So they group together. Others however are named by the 'amount' first. 'Spool of thread', 'Chunck of Salt', 'Hardened Leather' and 'Bolt of Cloth'. Again, to help people like me find things easier if they are group they are quicker to identify and I believe this in general is of benefit in the list inventory. So 'Coal, chunk', 'Salt, Chunk', 'Cloth, Bolt'. Or at least if sorted 'alphabettically they sort by item 'type' (Coal, cloth, thread) rather then description (Bolt, chunk, spool)

sakuraba likes this.
  2. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I'm with you OP.

I wish I could double or triple the UI size.
    At huge resolutions it is a little taxing....

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.