UI size & a few others.

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Izadar, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izadar

Izadar Avatar

Hello all.

I've only begun to play Sota this past week as my main mmo. It's been quite the endeavor to get the game to run with decent performance (*see below*) and watching tutorials to get started. It's been fun so far. Now time for a few of my gripes.

- UI size. This needs to be scalable. The combat bar in particular is way too large on my screen. It's almost to the point of being distracting during combat, not to mention it's not the best looking UI that I've seen in a game.

- Dot's & Sheathe. This drives me crazy. Combat ends..I press a key to sheathe and start to loot..then immediately my character draws weapon again because Dots (damage over time) are still ticking away. Regen between fights are what keeps the action between mobs flowing. It feels like I'm in a battle with myself trying to sheathe my weapon. Just let the dots continue to tick but keep my weapon sheathed when I press the key.

- Looting & targeting. I play with the reticle turned on and mouse cursor off. It's a smoother gameplay style for me, similar to Guild Wars 2. After every combat encounter I need to either look/point the camera angle down at my feet to start looting, which keeps me looking at the ground a quarter of my playtime, or key the mouse pointer back on again and start looting one by one. I feel this is a really unnecessary step. The loot/hitbox of the mobs need to be adjusted or increased so there isn't so much camera play just to loot. Anyone that has played GW2 or other mmo's knows what I'm talking about here.

These grips aside, I've been enjoying my time in game and look forward to making some friends to adventure with ;)

*Setting the game to 720p worked wonders for smoothing out my gameplay.
    *Fastest settings on video.
    *Cull interior decorations OFF. This is supposed to help, but with it on it causes more stutter.
    *Aggressive decoration loading OFF.
    - This worked for me. Give it a try if you are playing on a potato like myself.-

2. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Well, it just so happens that the next release (R55, available on June 28th) is supposed to have UI Improvements, including the ability to resize the UI elements.

Also, I hear you on the loot issue. Even for those (like me) who play with the cursor on, the loot/hitbox area is difficult to find a lot of the time and it can get frustrating. There was a brief time where we could just spam the "interact" key (E by default) and it would loot anything in range without needed to physically select it. I thought that was much better and hope it will come back one day.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  3. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

One of those awesome things ruined by people botting which leads to carpel tunnel for every one else!

This is a major issue right now, especially with the popularity of Tears farming. I've noticed lately a lot of people dont even try to loot.

It would also really help if they fixed corpses so they weren't basically stuck in the ground most the time with just a tinny area to click to find it. Set the corpse 6 in game inches higher above the ground, I dont care if it even looks like its floating a few inchs.

It also must be hard on the game with a group of 8 wildly flinging their mouse around spamming "e" to try to hit the corpse lol.

5. Izadar

Izadar Avatar

I played about 3 hours last night (I'm only Tier 3 capable atm). By the end of it I was just auto attacking and healing when needed. I was tired of playing at a fast pace because the looting at that pace was a pain. Loot is really important to me, especially in this grindy type of game. @2112Starman Yes! A lot of times the corpses were glued into the ground... ugh. This game has some charm to it that I've been enjoying for sure. I'm just hoping that these gripes I'm having don't burn me out on playing.

6. Izadar

Izadar Avatar

@Daxxe Diggler Great to hear that UI improvements are coming soon. They should really give the community the ability to provide mods for the UI. I've played sooo many games over the years where the community mods were so much better and added better functionality than the vanilla version.

7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Yea, I have too. I think some of the best I've seen were custom UI's for WoW.

The Devs here have hinted at possibly adding LUA functionality so that we can customize out UI's here. But they have concerns that doing so can lead to some people misusing the game data used to populate the UI fields, as well as doing things that might give you an advantage over someone that doesn't have it.

For instance, custom UI's in some other games did things like track other players on the map, heal bots, boss mob helpers, etc. I think SOTA wants to let us change the look of our UI, but not be able to create and add new features that might give you an advantage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.