Ultima Online 2?

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Stimwalt, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

For thouse who are really interested:
    (I am just talking about the official LoA Server. Not the "freeshards)

1. Yes, LoA feels MUCH like UO. I am not talking about Ultima 1-9 i am talking about UO. When you played UO for a while, everythig will remind you of it. After my first playsession back in alpha 1 my resume was "wow.. 1 to 1 UO clone.. everything i was waiting for)

2. Compared to SotA it is more sandboxy in the old fashioned way. You can do whatever you want, but there is no cherrypicking.. Its open pvp, full loot and no instances.. No gathering ressources in safe singleplayer instances.. you compete with everything. More than that: you HAVE to do whatever you want, because there is absolutely no guidance like quests.

3. PvP is restricted by Guardzones and Murdercounts

4. No itemshop. Everything you see in game, you could get for money or other goods IG.

5. "fast" leveling with hardcap. There are X skills you could level by using them. And you can spend an overall amount of x skillspoints. The process of leveling is really fast compared to sota, but: the secret of a strong char is not to be high level, its to balance thouse skills out. The best way to show what i mean is the stat calculatior:

https://loa-apps.000webhostapp.com/#

If you read the descripction you get the feeling that for example a mage would need 5 of thouse 6 skills really badly.. so you see.. how to balance them to be a good mage?

6.@Stundorn
    Yes you can sit. Yes there are many emotes. Yes there is musicanship. Smoke a pipe.. i dont know. And yes, you can decorate your house and garden. (Free house placement, no fixed lots)

7. Food/Musicanship
    In LoA your char gets "weaker" when he is hungry or in a bad mood. So eating and listening to music has a real effect. The goal is to have people chill around in taverns, listen to music and buy food from good player cooks. Like it was in SWG

EDIT:
    I dont want to advertise LoA to lure away all players.. I just want to say: Yes.. if you search an Ultima Online 2, this game is much more it like sota is. And Richard Garriott was never "Ultima Online"... he was a part of it, like some devs from Legends of Aria where.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

@Bulveigh Your description was more informative than any video I ever seen on the subject. Here's a question, though (not that I'm interested or anything, just something that seems to be omitted by every LoA player):

8. Dungeons?

Montaigne likes this.
  3. Logain

Logain Avatar

Yes, there are dungeons.

4. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

Thx :), and: Yes there are dungeons. Dont know exactly how many atm. And in thouse dungeons (not only in dungeons) there are "boss mob like" creatures and more. But again: no instances!

5. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

wow... I remember that. The graphics were nearly dated as they were releasing that promotional stuff.

6. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Freeshards! I almost forgot about that! I really worked at creating my own shard so very long ago!

It would have never supported more than maybe three to five players at once, I was so limited by bandwidth and extra PC hardware, but it certainly was fun to play around with! I couldn't believe how empty everything was, compared to even a completely empty, newly being logged into live shard ran by Origin.

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Who?

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  8. DJ Alleine Dragonfyre

DJ Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Am I the only one who finds this post pretty rude to the dev team for SOTA?

I mean if it is quite like UO, then they're basically ripping off original ideas for their own profit and now people are talking about here where the actual devs of UO work. I mean, seriously bad form guys.

9. Gix

Gix Avatar

Guys who were UO devs since 2004-2005. They don't necessarily have the fame of being creators of anything (especially compared to Richard Garriott) but anything that is shown about Legends of Aria screams of their deep understanding of UO, its flaws and their cleverness to bring that type of game to a new modern audience.

It's got more in common with Albion Online than anything else in the (modern) market right now.

From what I understand, it basically looks like a UO:remastered without the intellectual property. It's the Pillars of Eternity / Torment to the Baldur's Gate series. The Path of Exile to Diablo, etc...

In comparison (and for lack of a better analogy), SotA is trying to be the Dragon Age Origins of the Baldur's Gate series... Diablo's Hellgate London. Recognizable yet fundamentally different.

The question is whenever or not one is interested to play UO again; for better or worse.

I did some digging and the catacomb (random) raid dungeons look interesting but I'm generally not keen on the type of open-world that is so open that you're left grinding/farming for the sake of doing it. This is SotA's ace in its sleeves; it's got stories/scenarios to keep you interested and invested.

Numa likes this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I have been playing LOA since the first time it was pre-alpha way back and played in a pvp death match where there was only 1 winner way back. LOA is just a cheap UO wannabe with no heart of soul. These two creators are forgettable.

Every cent I paid to LOA was wasted unlike my SOTA pledge.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  11. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Avatar

Great post but is always good to tell the full story.

Richard Garriot was part of the original UO team, and one of the three main heads in the studio, the devs who created the project from scratch. Those two guys working in LoA never worked in Origin Systems, at the moment they were in EA (a company that never understood the concept of UO), nobody from the original team was working. They worked with a game already made and designed. There are some huge differences.

Fair to say.

12. Womby

Womby Avatar

Meh. I haven't played Ultima or Ultima online, and have zero interest in the degree to which they have influenced subsequent games. To me, that discussion is irrelevant. I am treating Shroud of the Avatar as a brand new game, to be judged purely on its own merits. I am not burdened with expectations of continuity that may or may not have a legitimate basis. My advice: play games that you like, don't play games that you don't like.

Nietzsche, Snikorts, Numa and 5 others like this.
  13. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Not even close to accurate. I don't know about Aria but SOTA doesn't feel like UO to me.

14. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

I'm watching the development, when it's closer to complete I'll giver a go.

15. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Some of the Devs. The 2 Guys from LoA were not part of the Original Team but still part from Ultima Online. That gives them every right to create the game that Richard sold many years ago. Even if they were no devs at all, i have seen amazing fan made stuff that is most of the time way better then the original. Many people want a game like UO again, many people thought SotA is something like UO2 and many people found out that it is not. When they can find their hopes in LoA again, why not.

16. DJ Alleine Dragonfyre

DJ Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I suppose. Just something about this post just seems icky.

Duke Gréagóir and Ronni like this.
  17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

The irony of the whole situation is most people that want to make an UO2 copy some of old UO mechanics and forget to enhance them with the lore,player freedom and social aspects that the game had.
    Sadly SotA so far has all the social aspects, but forget the gameplay mechanics ;) I am excited about LoA... but going in with a mindset this is anything like Ultima or UO again might only result in disappointment.

18. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

Absoutely true. But i do not agree with the part "never understood the concept" because i think there was a Time after Trammel where RG was long gone, in which UO did incredible well and was much fun. The real downfall of UO for me was AoS. To be fair, after trammel the playerbase "doubled". Further thay sayed in a round table they want to create a pre trammel and DEFINETLY pre AoS feeling of a "UO like game". But they dont want to create a clone, they just like the gameplay mechanics of a UO and want to enhance them..

I hape they success at this task. To this point they are doing a great job.

Snikorts likes this.
  19. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

Do not underestimate how deep storys players write, when they are forced to write storys for their own. How deep a game could get, when you start to really play a role and form communitys. EVE Online for example has wikipedia pages about big events in game and a own history book.

The Problem is, you need to play thouse games different, and find your place. My best example allways is a guy i knew back when SWG was released. Everyone played combat chars and grinded like hell at the beginning, but he seems to be the first who really made something cool out of a sandbox environment. He never touched a weapon and started tailoring. But he wasnt spamming "sell cloth xyp 500gp", he builded a house near a populated city and decorated it like a noble shop. He had opening hours and crafted clothing for people who visited his shop. He had no vendor with 1000 of pieces, he talked to the people and gave them advise about combinations of clothing and color. All in all this guy got incredible rich in a short time, because players stormed there every day.

In UO many people did somethign "soft rp'ish" to give their gameplay style a meaning and made it fun. On my UO shard there where 2 really cool player groups. One played Orks and one played "Tribals". They both did so by wearing Ork/Tribal masks, and match their armor to look orkish (wearing dark ringmail, partly naked and so on). They even made rules wich seem to be stupid in the first place. For example orks: no horses, no magic, shamens only heal, no magic stuff, just weapons orks drop. Tribals: just tribal horses, just spears, no armor. And thous players started to play all their time at the same hotspot. There was an npc ork fort where the ork clan was located, and an npc tribal fort where the tribal players where located.. And what did they do? PK every non ork/tribal player and speak in a crazy language XD And i tell you, playing in or with this group of players was pure fun. And even with all thous restrictions, they won the most fights they got into. They even raided cities from time to time.

Yay, i found them! Bloodrock Clan Orks:
    [​IMG]

In fact, i never played a game after UO which had so many "special" guilds who invented their own gameplay and story. I would guess, when put a little kid in front of a tv, it whatches. If you put this kid in a sandbox just with a little shovle and leave him alone for some time, he starts inventing ;)

EDIT:
    One more example.. Look my player avatar. The cloth i am wearing. The banner i am standing in front of. The hat i am wearing. This was the uniform of a guardsmen of Trinsic. A official Town of UO(NPC Town) we decide to protect and make RP in. My hat is a green barrey because i was seargent at this time :p (On the picture i was protecting the entrance of the small jail in the guardhouse, because we put someone in there hehe)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  20. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Avatar

That's the magic when you combine RP with sandbox tools/mechanics.

Something really missed, sadly, in many MMOs.