Ultima Online 2?

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Stimwalt, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Gix

Gix Avatar

Player stories are inherent in any video game. Even games like PAC-Man have player stories, they’re just outside the game. The difference is that someone like me needs a reason to BE there; a game’s narrative usually accomplished that role.

It’s the reason why the crude Pirates of the Burning Seas MMO was way more engaging to me than the more successful Eve Online.

Otherwise it’s just an excuse for creating a simulation instead of a video game. It’s the difference between Flight Simulator and F-16 Falcon; between No Man’s Sky and Elite Dangerous. One of the two has missions while the other just have you flying around.

And, before you say anything about my “purpose” in PAC-Man, the game doesn’t make me work/grind to get to the fun part.

I’m not dismissing your own player stories, but keep in mind that other people have player stories that are just as rich as yours playing other games.

2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The players mutated into Excel Monsters.
    Former they roleplayed and role-playing with gamemechanics was key.
    Then the people begin to min max. Result is, most can only have fun beeing never limited, beeing able to grind the excel table,
    no more caring beeing one single individuals with abilities but also disabilities with specializations and dependencies.
    Without that it's not possible to rp with gamemechanics, it's reduced to artificially constructed settings and arangements aka tournaments or people like me, playing a mage who is just cannonfodder in PvP because i just don't like to skill all magic trees .
    Another example could be the fighter who don't want to use magic, in short build a authentic class out of the classless system , but skill everything and then cherry pick for any situation.
    Chris answered to this in the postmortem questions.
    The limitation is by only beeing able to have 10/ 20 (20/30 with swap decks/ non-combat) skills available in a situation.
    But you are able to prepare for any situation, it's just about spent time to grind.
    This is because the initial idea was not for MP, but for SP.
    All fine, beside PvP . It totally destroys RPvP in my eyes and this is what Bulveigh wanted to say i guess.
    Player driven, created stories, interactions, interconnections...

Not possible in SotA , too many lone wolfs want to be everything and not limited, they - sorry - don't play a roleplaygame , they beat the excel tables.
    Collect all , artifacts, hats, trophy's, points, skills...

This is no good for deep playerdriven content, RP, PvP and even PvE as it's all just artificially constructed and not happening neccessarily so that players want to play a role, want to specialize, need to decide and to renounce.

3. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

@Gix
    i hope it did not come out wrong. I never wanted to "judge" your playstyle. It was just a comment to your "grind" commentary, because it sounded like "in sandbox games there is only grind". I know that games like UO/LoA are for a very special kind of players, ind will not have millions of aktive players. But thats okay

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  4. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

Even at the UO Release players where excel monsters. the PvP'lers maxed out everythign. The difference was just the softcap and the fokus on Playerskill.

This is a verry common problem of a sandbox skill system. The "level everything" part is crap, and a sota problem.. yep. But in a good sandbox game you have to deal with the world how it is. And not being able to do whatever you wand effectively in every situation is a verry important thing. For example UO: you could play a Mage/Thief, yep. But in group and 1 on 1 pvp this combination was not compareable to a Healmage or Tankmage. Just because you can, it does not mean its usefull.

but yes, i agree with you @SotA problems :p

5. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Or you could be saying that they are re-kindling the spirit of what UO was before EA shat all over it. You want to say they are insulting the original Dev's of UO where i would argue they are paying tribute by bringing the spirit of the original game back to life.

6. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

You feel like it's "icky" because in your mind you feel they are stealing or defaming the legacy of UO. The reality is EA did that... What's the worst that happens ? it flops and falls on it's face ? Whats the best that happens? We have a new game on the market that adds to the competition. Competition breeds excellence.

7. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I've known some professors.....

GraveDncer, Spoon and Budner like this.
  8. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

LOL!

Another spiritual successor to UO?

9. devilcult

devilcult Avatar

Just by looking at graphic of the OP videos, i can say without a doubt its another mass produced chinese game that has been reconstructed in many way. I dont even wanna hear more of that "another legend named" game.
    You can find that game quality in flash games nowadays.
    There is nothing like Shroud of the Avatar, nothing come close of this complexity of the game. Stop trying to find a game better than this or that is more looking like the old uo, THERE IS NONE ! ;P

With the numbers of post the OP has, it sound to me its just a spammer that came spam that game in this forum, why the thread didnt get lock and removed? Bad publicity and fake news.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  10. devilcult

devilcult Avatar

If you played UO long enough to remember the stuff there, you would say that SOTA is a 3D of uo without any doubt.
    Some of the house have the same style as UO.
    Many monsters are based on UO.
    The skill gains and power words are just like UO (That was unique to have power words in there)
    Mining and crafting is also in the same view.
    The general scenes and area are also based on UO. (Britain, lord british castle)
    The virtues, about the same too.
    I could probably get this list going on...

So yeah, in that vision, a professor is a potato.

11. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

No.

thats all i can say. Just: No.

I dont even know where to start! And i dont mean that in a bad way. Sota is just absolutely not UO like. If u want a serious discussion, tell me where sota is UO.

I got the feeling here, that you feel like we attack sota, when we say that LoA is a great game and much like UO.. Thouse 2 games are compeltely different and do not compete with each other.

(i played uo 12 years)

12. devilcult

devilcult Avatar

Ive played uo 12 years and recognize the spiritual successor of it.

More to the list:
    Armor are also made with the same idea, platemail, chainmail, leather, cloth, deathshroud (can be recognized with Cabalist robe + hood).
    Boats, soon treasure map.
    Dye tub (simply named dye now).
    You can even have your inventory with the same uo view (bags) with item directly in it.
    Guild war will probably look the same with orange people going around (its already in but since im not guild owner i cant try it out yet)

For sure they made additions to the game, since this is another game. But in general, "the spirits" of uo still remains here.
    Now if people cant see it.... i cant be their glasses

13. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

1. Armor in UO was nearly worthless. It has huge pros and cons. We mixed armor back then, to optimise the effectiveness because heavy armor had a huge impact on your char. That why we invented the armor type "heavy archer" back then.

2. Deathshroud: in UO clothing was a way to express yourserlf. it was kinda worthless, it just gave you a unique look. In sota clothing is really expensive if you want to look unique.

3. boats: no boats in sota

4. inventory: your are right. but the possebility to choose between 2 styles of inventory, makes the bag inventory just ha bad choice.

5. Guild wars are completely different, because they only have an influence on you if you play the mmo mode (which is when it comes to effectivity allways a bad choice)

14. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

We have boats, they just don't sail just yet.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  15. devilcult

devilcult Avatar

Armor in uo wasnt worthless, it needed work for sure, but EA didnt do the job. I played many free shards which did the job and had several kind of armor you could use and other set (chain leather etc) was actually worth it.

There also many way to express yourself in clothing here, they arent looking like uo for sure because its a new game and its in 3D. But the idea behind remain the same.

There will be boat sailing

I dont think the guild war system is finished yet. And yes the friend mode and single mode break the fun of the mmo mode in many aspect. But thats what people wanted as they did kickstarter and we gotta respect that.

16. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

armor was worthless in gold, not in effectivity. you had to use the right armor for the right situation.

lets compare the CORE mechanics of uo and sota: UO was ALL about reaction and tactics. i could EASYLY kill a maxed out char with a "7 times 80" char, when the other one was a noob. you needed to know what to do and when to do.

Even a 7 times gm char whith the best armor in game could die in 5 seconds. If your opponent casted spell A you had to react the right way. Interrupt him. debuff him, heal yousellf or whatever. PvP was a game of seconds.

Snikorts likes this.
  17. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

Thats really important to me:
    Dont get me wrong! i do not say sota is a bad game! i just say it is completely different than uo, when it comes to the game mechanics.

(and armor didnt need work. it was perfekt pre AoS)

18. devilcult

devilcult Avatar

Same thing happen in pvp here (and pve). Alot of counters are on and all. You can come check the EVL tourney each wednesday to see the effectiveness of countering and debuffing.
    I would agree that it need some work, but thats exactly what they are doing right now. But same thing applies if you dont know what to do and when you probably going to loose those fights.

And no one said they were going to make the same game as UO, but the spiritual successor. Which is clearly what i see here. But yes, it does look different thats for sure.

19. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

Its absolutely not compareable.

In uo you had 100 hp and a spell made 40dmg. You had to react to every move of your opponent within an eyeblink, or you where dead.

Thats not how sota works, and thats not how sota was intended to work.

(yes, noone sayed that. so why do u compare it to uo? sota is not uo and absolutely does not feel like uo. and that is okay! LoA does feel like UO and thats ok two)

Snikorts and Mykll like this.
  20. devilcult

devilcult Avatar

Well if you talking how uo was limited to 100 hp and 40 damage spell.... that was kinda crap. Many free shard had different system for that and they all worked nicely.

[​IMG]

If you look at the time on player nearby. I was 2 minute in that map and killed 8 dude. Is that eyeblink enough for you? ;p