Ultima Online 2?

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Stimwalt, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

that was crap for you! but i loved it! I loved that nobody was and superhero! all what counts was your playerskills!

in 2 weeks you could build a char which was theoreticly comeptitive to everyone! but when it comes to combat: all your charskill was useless, because the playerskill was everything that counted.

2. devilcult

devilcult Avatar

2 weeks? Impossible unless you macroed for 2 week. Which is cheating. Getting blacksmith to GM would require 3 week of macroed mining, each combats skill was taking approx 1 week to gm. Magery was costing a ton of regs and took many time too. Plus you were limited with hardcap. And had possibilities to make many character.

This is just a different setup, 1 character, with a soft cap. So you can get every skill.
    Its not that hard to get high level quick here or have enough skill to kill bosses and pvp, i could do it in a week now that i know exactly how to play and how i could do it. When i first started uo, it took me months to be able to kill a lich. Same thing happening here to new players.

I could kill high level player when i was lower than them here, so human skill does count alot too. I know many low level people that are also doing great they are 20 level under me (Which is a ton of exp and skill) and can still kill sometime. All depending how i react and if im fast enough.

3. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

sry. really i am retting the feeling that you never played uo before 2001.

for example.. gm sowordmanship took about 2 days at "the wall". and with 8 x 8 gm magery and eval int was done in 1 week

Snikorts likes this.
  4. devilcult

devilcult Avatar

I started at mondain legacy. Then played the second age, then they lost me and i went to free shards.
    2 flame strike 1 lightning, that was the combo used to kill people, you had to time urself to cast it so it landed fast, i do remember that and it was pretty crap and basic imo. A game where only that combo work is pretty much basic to me.
    The only counter was magic arrow or weaken. You got way more counter than 1 single spell here in sota.

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The questions that must be asked are:

Why did UO evolve the way it did
    Why did SotA become what it is
    What were the original goals of UO
    What are the goals of SotA

< insert long and wordy speech on why/what here > - we all have our own answer for this so I will leave that un answered.

What we learned from the UO history.

It boils down to control. UO had wide open freedom. That freedom comes at a cost. Dev control becomes limited the more freedom the player has. The history of UO illustrates this well.

No company plans for this level of player freedom to dev control ratio. It was an evolution stunted in the early stages of UO.

Port acknowledges this balance, the imbalance in UO, and their intent to maintain balance for SotA.

In short, no game will have what UO did when it started. No game can. Because online games that plan on staying alive for a long time need to evolve. That means dev control.

Snikorts and devilcult like this.
  6. Schneider DragonFang

Schneider DragonFang Avatar

Blood Bay,Brittany Fields,Moonglade & Rifts End
    Loving every moment in Legends of Aria.
    From getting ganked inside my guildmates house at the hobgoblins spawn during final alpha.
    To switching gears and joining a community shard and ganking players and getting pked.

Is the game UO2, no it is not.
    Is it the spiritual successor to ultima online, in a lot of players eyes yes. According to the devs last interview with massively overpowered, it never will be because that is a moniker only Richard Garriot can use.

So what is Legends of Aria?
    An attempt to harken back to old school sandbox titles, and I am all aboard for the ride.

7. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Dem Urks wer da best!

Bulveigh likes this.
  8. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Just off the top of my head the makes SOTA fail as the spiritual successor.

1: Unlimited skill training
    2: Massive rents that the casual player can't afford
    3: A crafting grind that is punishing
    4: Heavlly instanced world

9. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

See the problem with sota is... i cant RP as an orc.....

IF i want to run into a town and murder all the humans.... well they have to be flagged.....

10. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

Have you played Eve Online? A successful MMO with extremely limited dev control. There are many parallels between UO and Eve. <3

Vallo Frostbane and Bulveigh like this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am happy to say that I came to SOTA without expecting it to be UO. I was never a UO player. I played Ultima before (like #2), but it is not like I even knew its name. Back then I would watch movies and there was not a single actor I could recognize. Oh, the wonders of just being young living just for the day. Anyway, I am just fine here, thank you very much. :)

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

There's a major difference with Eve. Eve is a science fiction MMO. The list of competition is very slim. Much like comparing a free game to one with a fee. The human motivation makes for a twist for all variables.

Plenty of parallels can be blown apart with this. Plenty of parallels are still useful. So I acknowledge that Eve is successful as a sandbox game with little dev interaction. But we must also acknowledge that Eve, much like UO, evolved away from anything like what UO started out as.

UO evolved, Eve evolved, Should any game roll back to where those games started? Is that realistic?

13. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

Ah okay, thats the "problem". When i talk about UO, i mean a time before Age of Shadows. With 2 Flamestrikes and 1 Lightling you would NEVER kill a good pvp player. A good PvP player would not let u cast even 1 flamestrike.
    FS, FS, Lighting is one of the crappiest combos i have ever heard, the standart combo was "Explo Ebolt" and even that would never work in a fight against a good player.

it does not look nice, its a really old game. But look how they interrupt each other. If you played UO you will recognize that one mistake in this duel lead to your death. (and its not even a very good duel)

maybe this one is a bit better:

yes, they are all tankmages.. That was just the best char for a duel, not for overall PvP.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  14. devilcult

devilcult Avatar

I prefer this kind of fighting than your videos (Start at 1 minute). Thats the last server i played (free shard). Using world obstacle to fight and get out of line of sight so flame strike can land.

Thats the kind of fighting i play since the beginning. That was better than standing next to each other and see who can time his button better than the other in a friendly fight.

It show you how to land a flame strike around 2m30

Now thats PvP. ;)

15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

You know.
    10 pvp'ers 11 opinions
    10 roleplayers 11 opinions
    10 PvErs... Well same story.

That's because i'm trying to find homogeneous people to form a guild.
    The one pve want Raids, the other hate it.
    The one pvper likes pk and imbalance, the other likes more Arena style.
    The one Roleplayer likes the Tavern more than everything else, the other want to RP outside while PvX.

It's also like what we all would like the game should be or become.

It sure is good and necessary to discuss and say what one likes or dislike, i do also all the time.
    But i doubt this comes to an end.

Everything is about making compromises.
    Find your compromise with what is there or decide it's not for you in general.

I also dislike what i would need to do to pvp and i dislike that becoming pvp ready is maybe possible in a month playing, but at what cost?
    You need to know about it all and you need to be effivently use your knowledge.
    That would be at the cost if immersion, the story and many things.
    If i just want to pvp and renounce all these other factors what make a RPG cool, but there are other games for that imho.

Things will change, maybe the wont change, maybe i change my attitude towards this skillsystem and pvp.

Who knows, time will tell.
    Some play, some dont.
    Sone pvp, some dont
    Some want this, others want that.

To me actually it is about fun and just doing all the things that can be done by the way and i often are just into RP Conversations or whatever.

I allways think, ok then do it, skill all trees and all magic skills to 80 and then watch what is possible.
    It then spezialize and bring one tree to 100 or some skills if different trees what you think are usefull.
    But then...
    i realize that i have still so many things to skill to 80 what are in the trees i prefer to use, that i needn't think over that much.

What i know annoys @Bulveigh the most is the grind (skills and gold for equip or mats to craft oneself) and the imbalance what is maybe blurred at level 90+ and can be compensate with playerskill.
    But you all know the best skilled pvpers have also the best gear and skills as high as possible or as high as beeing efficient.
    So i maybe can beat someone with less playerskill in good gear with less skillpoints, but if it comes to a battle between 2 equal good players regarding Skill, the one with better gear and higher skills wins.
    Sure that there are lower level people what are more skilled (playerskill) than some of the high levels and are able to beat them. But these players will also become higher and allways stronger.

Whatever, i'm not ready yet and i wont haste to be ready.
    Time will tell. I am from time to time visiting / exploring PvP Scenes ;-)

Ristra and Snikorts like this.
  16. eli

eli Avatar

This is totally an aside but you could GM magery, eval, and med in about 8 hours with ~10k ea reg and ~100 scrolls. Macros were built into the game, so it's hard to call them cheating, but if you mean unattended, manually 8x8ing was always faster than using a script.

Budner likes this.
  17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That list is more of a “what I miss from UO”.

Plenty of free shards broke away from the 700 cap and were popular.

Rent being massive is relative to the availability of currency.

Crafting grind and punishing are two different items. Crafting materials is another form of currency. If the mats are abundant the grind is only a time sink. Being punitive is more about keeping powerful items rare.

Instancing is your closet item to the point. But, how many games are seamless worlds any more? Seamless vs instance does have a major impact on PvP. But PvP isn’t all UO was.

What SotA does not have, or at least not enough importance in it, is a moral system. A moral system is the foundation for Uitma IV and every version after has that foundation in mind. UO used that moral system for PvP. It gave PvP a purpose. Even with consensual PvP a moral system could still bring back that old UO feel in PvP.

Nelzie and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  18. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

I showed you duels.

Of course i played open world PvP the most, back than.

19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

According to a Dev QA release of Legends of Ario will be in Summer 2018.

Ravicus Domdred and MindBlast like this.
  20. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I played UO since prior to release and i can say UNDOUBTEDLY that SOTA does not resemble UO at all minus some of the same lore names etc. So we can def agree to disagree on that point. However, man if they had Ultima Online with current spec graphics that game would be gold, but they dont so i guess in the mean time well have to make due with whats avail.