Ultima Online is being outsorced

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by Warlover, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

UO doesn't matter and hasn't mattered since 1999 but I'll let it slide to 2000, maybe 2001 only because of this photo...

[​IMG]

EA bought ORIGIN Systems Inc. in 1992 and dissolved it in 2001 but officially dissolved it in 2004. They owned the
    name ORIGIN so they decided to use it to name their download software. Mythic was bought out by EA in 2006,
    in 2006 EA charged Mythic with taking over UO. Any 'outsourcing' means little to most Ultima fans who stopped
    paying attention to the game for the past 13 years. I predict UO will be shut down in 3 years. If you want to still
    play the antique archaic game I recommend finding a freeshard that suits you, they will be the only incarnations
    of the game come late 2017 early 2018.

Nhili Dragon, tradyblix and Hazard like this.
  2. Dean478

Dean478 Avatar

Their State of UO video wasn't very convincing...

Cazador and Hazard like this.
  3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

My take is when UO is over just play SotA. :)

The One, Keira Of CODB and Razimus like this.
  4. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Better idea, play SOTA, UO freeshards are a waste of time, they are either corrupt ran by corrupt GMs, pay-to-win
    with statballs & skillballs in the 'donation' gift shop, or they have zero players, either way SOTA wins.

5. Mata

Mata Avatar

6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

EA hates Steam and has a competing service. And a percentage of all subscription fees from people playing Ultima Online through Steam would have to go to Valve. So I don't think that is likely to occur.

7. Mata

Mata Avatar

8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I logged into my steam account just to vote NO. Just say NO to UO on steam. Even if UO went free to play today I wouldn't play it.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  9. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

UO & DAoC - two of my all-time favorites! Even so, time is marching on, and there's little incentive for me to relive my yesterdays.
    Besides, my time and money is currently devoted to SotA. :cool:

Nhili Dragon and Espada like this.
  10. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

I am sad about what's happening with UO in these modern days...

Jlad, Hazard and Mercyful Fate like this.
  11. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Yeah, what's sad is that the corporations continue to attempt to milk the cow and leave it on life support without investing financial dollars to improve it to todays technological standards. When Everquest hit thousands of gamers moved on to more modern tech while UO never progressed. Such short-sightedness. If I ran UO today you could bet your bottom dollar than I'd be investing in the game like no tomorrow and guarantee that game retained relevance in todays market.

Nhili Dragon and Jlad like this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well it's all about money and what will make a bunch of old men at the top the richest.

It's really disgusting - that dude that got the 58 million dollar golden parachute who worked at Yahoo for like 18 months.

They're just going to trash Yahoo, and those connected enough at the top get to line their pockets. Ugh. But can you blame them ? It's human nature.

Same thing in the movie industry. Movies are all calculated now and are like theme park rides, the Big studios rarely make thoughtful films anymore because they can make the next

Pacific Rim or Prometheus or whatever it is and just bank on bad movies.

13. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Agreed. Just look at how The Lone Ranger bombed for one example. People want new entertainment. There is a huge pent-up demand for things that break the mold. The big studios and their calculated risks are no longer working. People are tired of being fed the same recycled crap year after year.

This is also true with MMOs. The market is saturated with games that, in the end, all have a similar look and feel to them. It's no wonder why games that start out with a massive player-base quickly lose them once the newness factor wears off.

tradyblix likes this.
  14. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

SOTA and CU both and will be nice to have 2 games to play again since I will have lots of free time. Both PvP :p

15. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

16. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

There was a bonfire but I don't know what they burned I wasn't there I'm sure some of the SOTA staff would know. I've been a UDIC member since 97 and I wasn't too mad, maybe a little, I mean UO had run it's course from my perspective and this just gave them a way to break free from what the day 1 fans already considered to be the evil borg (EA).

RG had to not be competition for X number of months then this website came up...

[​IMG]

And I subscribed, it was of course immediately bought out by NCSoft but you know the story. It's what EA does, their doing it with Mythic & almost every PC game company they've taken over, slowly suck the money out of the company, when whatever chart doesn't look good to whoever executive heads begin to roll. The executives in a lot of these major publishers remind me of television executives, they have zero patience, if a show's ratings aren't good for 2 weeks and they have a grudge against whoever for whatever reason they cancel the show before it's time.

17. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

One I approached it with an open mind, I thought Ultima 4 Forever was pretty good, in the sense that there's lots of iPhone games where you click on monsters and treasure, and given those constraints, it's reasonably well done as far as the game itself goes, if you don't think of it as an "Ultima."

But the business of having to always play online and pay for "keys" to open chests killed it for me. I'm in France this semester and like to play games on the bus, but my wife and I didn't get data plan because it is seriously expensive here.

I'd happy just buy the stupid game if they'd let me just outright buy it.

That said, I'm too depressed about reading about the P2W of Dungeon Keeper to even try it.

18. Mata

Mata Avatar

19. MadViking

MadViking Avatar

Has DAoC been that bad? AFAIK it was received fairly well back in the day?

20. MadViking

MadViking Avatar

Oh - and does UO really still use that ancient U8-based engine?? I thought they went to a newer engine (based on U9) ages ago?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.