Ultima Online Like Recall Spell

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by CMDRVortex, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMDRVortex

CMDRVortex Avatar

The lotro system is neat with the autopilot but im old school UO fan. I joined on my 1st account during release.

I would like to be able recall but maybe in the siege area you have to run thru the moon gate and you can't actually recall in. I like the idea of gate taking multiple mages to cast, forces team play. Maybe if your part of a guild it cost lest to cast?

I haven't been in game yet so im pumped up to get in. What I like is this game has common components I enjoyed from UO.

BTW that was fun during UO days, mark runes out side a guys house and your whole group drop in instantly :)

CorP Por!

2. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Just make it so that you can't sell the charged locations. You can sell the recall/gate scrolls (enabling non-mages to use them), and the mark scrolls and blanks, but you have to actually go to the location yourself the first time. So at most, people could charge to open a gate to some far-off location for you, but it would require in-person interaction, instead of just buying it off a vendor.

3. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    Recall and mark were by far my best selling items back in the day! As a scribe runebooks and spell books sold in limited numbers, the real meat and potatoes of my business was sales those two spells. I hope they include a similar spell or two I can easily make a profit on. (Providing we get a inscription skill) Even if we don't get the same freedom as we did in Uo, recall can allow players to explore more of the world around them. I am biased but recall by far the best spell in UO.

majoria70, Kutas, Mingo and 2 others like this.
  4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

i like this idea!

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Every time this subject comes up I'm reminded of a guy I saw in Vesper once begging for a gate to Minoc for 20 minutes.. when he could've gotten there himself in 5 on foot. Magic purely for convenience sake is.. not something I'm in favor of. If I had a gold for every time I've seen someone recall across the street to do their shopping I'd be rich. Not to mention nearly everyone and their mother taking up magic JUST so they can be lazy and recall around everywhere they go. Never mind people trying to use it as a quick escape tactic in PvP. (A subject which has already been hotly debated).

In the very least, teleportation magic should require significant effort and/or expense.

Evil Superhero likes this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, as much as people talk about how a lot of players are only on for one or two hours, really, the world is usually small enough that its not going to take more than 5 minutes. And in those 5 minutes, you're going to have to deal with encounters and other things that are fun, too.

Like I said, if there is recall, I prefer it not to be in books, but on individual marked runes.. though I support players being able to create runes with different types of marks, sigils, symbols, colors, so they can differentiate one from another. There are a lot of other solutions, too, though. A guild hall could have a room with an orb, that when touched, teleports members for free to a certain meet-up location; but you would need to be a guild member to use the orb. Or guilds could have some other way of distributing runes to members.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There are plenty of other ways to get around besides. Public transportation comes to mind.. a most excellent way for players to cross large distances quickly and easily.. and something the world would naturally have but would be utterly meaningless if everyone simply recalls around as easily as breathing.

Do people really want magic to be that easy? We may as well go back to quest logs and arrows if that's the case. Imagine if you will. Player goes to end points of all the major quests and marks those locations to be sold. Epitome of hand holding imo. I thought the community at large wanted to get away from all that.

So you block that kind of magic in quest related areas? Where do you draw the line?

Nuemcy likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, that's why I put out for comments LOTRO's method.. you pay for a ride, and the horse is on auto-pilot until you say you want to get off... it worked like public transit :) I found that refreshing compared to games with things like wayshrines.

But you see, this is my constant beef... I think its common that players want to be inconvenienced.

9. CMDRVortex

CMDRVortex Avatar

Well,

Maybe if you have guild member the transportation system might take you to specified coordinates they give you or at least close and then you run in.

Having a horse to ride on would be nice to explore with when you just wanted to roam. Maybe a flying dragon to fly on like WoW and look over the city?

I do agree with someone not being able recall in middle of battle and the cool down should be longer then normal if recall is implemented.

Regardless it sounds like this will be a great game.

10. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

There's also the possibility of making certain hexes that you could port into but not out of. And/or make 'staging areas' in certain hexes that are the only areas you can mark runes for.

11. Owain

Owain Avatar

I know this will thrill all the right people, but since the subject has come up again, I need to remind folks who may not have been familiar with problems with the Recall spell as it relates to Open PvP. In PvE, I have no problem with recall whatsoever. If there will be Open PvP in the game, then one of the problems experienced in UO prior to the Felucia/Trammel split, and afterwards on Felucia and Siege Perilous was that Recall made it too easy for a PK to get away with murder.

By whatever story related rationale the dev's choose to use, I would suggest that if flagged for Open PvP, spells like Recall or Gate should be inhibited.

Akeashar likes this.
  12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I am not crazy for non-mages to use scrolls like warriors and such. I feel you need to understand magic a bit in order to use it.

Kutas and Baron Avorin Swiftslay like this.
  13. Owain

Owain Avatar

The thing is, however, is that SotA doesn't have classes, so you can choose to be a pure mage, or a pure warrior, but you are not compelled to do so. If you wish, you can mix things up.

14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Right. So if recalling off a scroll required any magic skill of 20. That would fit the bill for me.

15. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

A simple solution would be to allow for teleports/gates only on the global map but not on the local maps. This would also resolve many of the PvP objections.

16. vjek

vjek Avatar

It's really astonishing how large the impact of this single decision will be. (overworld and/or local recall/gate)
    It affects so many interconnected game systems, and will have significant long term consequences.

Phredicon likes this.
  17. Ph0eniX

Ph0eniX Avatar

Easy for reds. Easy for blues. 50/50. Just put some extra seconds if you are fighting against other player.

18. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Details are still being worked on. There are all sorts of new and interesting ways they can take gate and recall spell travel.

Now, I'd like to think the moongates are significant, they said they would be likely places for PVP to take place during the first scene challenge. I hope that whatever fast method travel they devise it wont be so easy or fast as UO where you never needed to use a moongate as long as you had magic and runes. So RG said most moongates will function based on the phase of the moon for where they will take you. There will be some that have devices that you can set it to where you want to go. With those things in mind I wouldn't think UO style mark/recall/gate would work well. I would like to see a very limited form. Difficult to find/obtain resource to cast the spell and/or limited locations you can use it, limited times you can use it (outside of combat only). Maybe even making the spell function like a moongate where it will take you to only 1 place depending on the phase of the moon.

19. rild

rild Avatar

The lunar rifts make total sense as PVP point-of-interest. If these are the major routes for quick, long-distance travel, and usable by 'good' and 'evil' forces, keeping control of them might be a major focus of the allied civilizations of Novia.

20. Owain

Owain Avatar

UO showed that this is an asymmetric situation, however. Blues usually weren't stealthed watching for reds to get low on health fighting a mob, and then coming in for an easy kill (which isn't a bad tactic, by the way). There wasn't a problem with blues preying on inexperienced reds (if you don't count the KGB killing PK's ;) ), but you just have to read some of the anti PvP comments in the forums here to see that there was a problem with reds preying on inexperienced blues, which was only exacerbated by spells like Recall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.