Ultima Online memories!

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by VictorZanta, Mar 8, 2013.

1. VictorZanta

VictorZanta Avatar

I played Ultima Online for about 6 years and still log on occasionally.

What are some of your best memories of UO?

I was a scammer/thief in UO. Trying to exploit certain bugs for my own gain but also reporting them when i discovered them so i was jailed in game quite often.

The best scam i ever came up with was i would snoop someones backpack and add up the weight of there backpack to see how much more they could carry before items would start to drop on the floor. Just before we would start to trade for a rare item i would drop a bag of regs on the floor which is almost impossible to not pick up. After they put their item in the trade box the item would then drop on the ground after i refused the trade allowing me to pick it up.

Great week that was.

2. esham_the_unholy

esham_the_unholy Avatar

LOL Did you do that to me on Great Lakes? I someone told me it was a 'dupe' and since I just started I believed him... So my 1 mil check fell out to the ground. That was after I made the gold up to 1 million for the first time ever. :(

Time Lord likes this.
  3. ElWampa

ElWampa Avatar

You mean, snooping through players bags for their house key, and rune to their house? :3

Ulfang and Time Lord like this.
  4. ElWampa

ElWampa Avatar

Or giving someone a port to 1 tile isle?

Time Lord likes this.
  5. ElWampa

ElWampa Avatar

OR when this happened: http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/33/4327b74751ab088a4d95792f836eda1d/l.gif

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Chad_Sexington

Chad_Sexington Avatar

I played Ultima Online on and off for over 12 years. I wonder if anyone here as been to my site (http://uothief.com)?

My favorite steal started on my first week on Siege Perilous where I figured out where the largest blue guide/alliance rolled for power scrolls. They would do champion spawns every single morning at server up. I trained for a month or two (with RoT). I already had the location, but I still needed the best time. Over the past few months, I determined the best time to surprise them, down to the minute. When I decided to make my move, I would log out the night before at the location and then log in on that exact minute. I'd pop to life right in the middle of their entire guild.

Because I had a few months to observe them, I already knew which people had what. I knew who was protector, who usually had extra minor artifact drops, and who then held all the power scrolls. I made my first move on the people who last to leave (who still had good loot). No one noticed.

I returned again and again and still, no one noticed. From that first week on Siege to the time I was finally discovered, this went one for exactly 1 year, 2 months, and 12 days. I ended up with dozens of power scrolls, hundreds of screenshots, and priceless memories.

Gilfane = <3

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The zombie invasion of Trinsic.. yeah. Excuse me but those of us on Pac actually WON that fight thank you very much! *cough cough* Mine and another guild defended the healers allowing those on the front to rez quickly instead of having to leg it all the way Britain. When it was all said and done we were still standing at the end. I was pretty irked when the server reset and we lost the town anyway. Kinda killed the whole each shard is unique idea for me. Ah but what a bloodbath that was. :)

Time Lord and Nhili Dragon like this.
  8. Valiant

Valiant Avatar

A great UO memory of mine is when i made my first house. It was in umbra in a desert looking area. It was just a tiny little premade house but i was able to decorate it and show my freinds things i had acquired. That to me was just the coolest thing ever. I have become so desensitized to it now that im looking back on it. Im just used to everyone having houses now it is no big deal.

9. Francois424

Francois424 Avatar

Oddly enough, I really liked loging on with my Tailor lady on Lake Superior in Moonglow, and craft for a few hours. As I made money (yeah, it was possible to make some even not leaving town at that time in early 98), I started shopping and stated to explore... which was my second most memorable moment. Somehow I made it to the isle of the avatar, and found a spot to place my small house deed... man I was *jumping* all around the computer; my 3rd moment.

later I changed server (I was alone on Lake Sup and someone I knew was playing on Catskills...), and I joined my first guild... how many MMO can you bring the whole guild on friday night to do dungeon crawling ? No level segregation or anything, that was INSANELY FUN (even tho I was at like 45 magery and crappy fighting skills, I kept the fighters alive), yeah 4th moment.

Then time passed, and finaly in mid-2002, after much role-playing, the grand-daughter of my frist character, (a mage named Mariah of all names, I loved that character from Ultima games) finaly went to sleep for the last time on her small tower that was offered, then returned to the giuld that had invited me over.

I hated the fact that my favorite, relaxing, passtime of Tailoring was nerfed into oblivion and no longer viable as a money earner if I stayed in town. So My characters lost le will to live and passed on to another world (FF11 at that time).

That is why I can only cheer at Lord British's idea that not everyone needs to be a warrior... Some want to fish, others to make armor... All I really wanted was to tailor and interact with city-folks, when not playing an explorer or my mage.

Ahh great moments... Thank you Lord British.

PS: Now, can you cook me something just as delicious please ? Thanks ! :p

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I remember the disappointment and having no place to build a castle. I had managed a small house which was a blacksmith's shop. A guild tower and a large house. Being able to decorate it all with impunity.. ah those were the days. Then having some thief come around to the shop and stealing stuff through the wall on a regular basis.. bah! :)

Yavrashu and Time Lord like this.
  11. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Really the only memory I have from UO is, Corp Por, Corp Por, and Corp Por.

Armar, Yavrashu, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  12. Chad_Sexington

Chad_Sexington Avatar

^Yeah, the AoS land rush was a good memory too.

My brother and I were huddled around our only computer, trying to log on, but failing. This went on for a few hours but eventually we made it onto the server and set out to claim some land.

We head through the moongate and BAM, Luna is completely full. With our house placement tool we head out into the surrounding area and 18x18 plots were everywhere. There were plenty of spots smaller than 18x18 that could squeeze in between the cracks, but who wants one of those houses? We ran around for about 30 minutes and no matter how far we ran, we couldn't find any spots that could fit an 18x18.

A little disappointed, we headed back to Luna to look at all the houses within the city limits and then... what is this?

Hm... it fits!

It's only a 8x12 land plot, but it's within city limits. The steps of the house face the road, leading out to the south exit.

"I guess so." My brother said.

But it's so small. :(

OK, I guess we'll have to settle for this one. It's inside the city. It might not be too bad.

And that's the story of how we got a house plot that would later be able to fetch around $500. :)

13. WARDUKE

WARDUKE Avatar

Sadly, I only played UO a little, and my memories mainly consist of the figure that came with Lord Blackthorn's Revenge, and roaming around quite a bit and wondering what to do.

Time Lord and TemplarAssassin like this.
  14. Filthe

Filthe Avatar

When I would 2v50 at yew gate on Napa and win.

15. Annah_Sennah

Annah_Sennah Avatar

I have been playing UO since October of 2002. I had heard about it from same gaming special on one of the tv stations, it said something like create your characters life... its been so long.My brother let me borrow his account to walk around Britain, and I fell in love. Now I have 3 accounts, (only one active right now :( ), and have been mostly on Cats until about a year ago when I started Atl.
    I have so many memories of UO, my first rp marriage proposal, many many of the friends I had made over the years, becoming the leader of PGoH in Cats, and having to change my character Charlie 7 times to get her template right hahah.
    I love Ultima since way back in Exodus, I am super excited by this. I'll never leave UO because of my friends, but this game gives me the love of Ultima and Ultima Online all those years ago.

16. Hightower

Hightower Avatar

I started UO in 1997, my first short lived great experience saving up enough to buy a horse. I greatly enjoyed the next 2 hours as I explored the wilderness. Then foolishly, I chose to ride me horse into Shame, come around a corner, 4 PKs standing there in plate with Halberds........ 5 sec later I was dead and my poor horse as well..........

My second moment of great pride was becoming the 3rd GM Blacksmith on Legends and later in a couple of months placing my Castle. :)

My favorite house though was the small stone tower, just enough room for a anvil and large forge.

17. DamoclesXV

DamoclesXV Avatar

I really loved lumberjacking, crafting bows and killing skellies... that was all I needed :)

Time Lord and TemplarAssassin like this.
  18. SilverDoomkitten

SilverDoomkitten Avatar

Ah, my favorite moment was possibly winning the "Master of the Word" award, during an event on Europa. Good days, with truly marvelous people.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Akalabeth

Akalabeth Avatar

any one remember Imanewbe's story?

Saosis, Time Lord and TemplarAssassin like this.
  20. Hemlawk

Hemlawk Avatar

Imanewbie was awesome. Galad stories were great too.

But by favorite moment in UO was an IDOC situation. On Deceit island a 2 story house fell but I couldn't place a new house in time. So I camped the house for about 3 hours with my thief. The guy who place a small house collapsed it to place a bigger house and I popped the deed and placed my new 2 story. The guy went apeshit! I laughed and banned him from the house.