Ultima Online memories!

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by VictorZanta, Mar 8, 2013.

1. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Well that isn't very nice... I think I am starting to get a picture as to why so many gamers here are gun shy of UO players in general. I've never played UO, but it seems that if you aren't playing tricks on players, you're killing them. PvP is one thing, full loot is another thing, but UO sounds like it was just a grief-fest.

Time Lord and Noctiflora like this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Actually I role played my mage. He was an insane fisherman type mage, who was always just a bit off mentally. (He would have bought the crooked mage tower). I picked up fishing instead of inscription skill (at least I think it was that skill.) I think inscription was popular with mages because it increased your damage with spells by like 10%. However he wasn't my main character and I worked hard making him a GM fisherman.

Nevertheless, He was the type to consider it grief to be asked to open up a gate to some random dungeon. He would have felt it proper to show these youngsters that there were more adventurous locations to travel to. LOL

EDIT: FYI I never did that on my main character. He was virtuous, and I wanted to keep that reputation with people. I helped out a lot of newbies. I played him most of the time. So don't think that all people who played UO treated people poorly. It's just those stories that stick out as being the most unique.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That is actually a distorted picture of UO. People for the most part worked together and helped eachother from what I remember. Especially those who have been PKed before, we had special compassion for people and genuinely wanted people to enjoy their game experience. I helped people with my main character all the time.

People use to give food, and sometimes even free armor and weapons. I received a full suit of exceptional armor and a weapon from a generous guy who owned a shop that I passed by while traveling to moonglow one time. Then there were guildmates that always hung out with you, and were cool. It's funny how nobody tells these stories. They just aren't as interesting as the stressful ones. For the most part people the people were a community, and just as there were PKs there were people who seriously opposed such types.

The fact there was injustice, made the compassion and justice all the more valuable. So they existed in extreems. You don't find that in most other games, because they don't know what danger is.

Saosis, Time Lord and Kal Morte like this.
  4. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

It was a bold new world where you had to learn to think fast, travel light and be on guard when adventuring. It was most fun, and an experience I fear is unduplicatable. I had no issues with UO when it was working as intended, I could work with the game limitations, and sneaks & tricks. It was the bugs that could allow people access to your house and steal your things when you were not online that became tiresome.

I was not a PK, nor a Anti-PK but I held my own in battle and was not afraid to play or adventure. I ran an amazing shop in the wilderness that sold to and repaired for players no matter if they were Villians or Heroes.

Good and Bad times, it was UO and my fondest gaming memories ever. True friends are forged in the hardest of times and I retain more Online Pals from UO then I do any other game since. There was always the fear of loss, and therefore much more feeling of pride in what you accomplished.

These Developers are the architects and all of you, from the Full Loot advicators to the 24 hour craft-o-holics will be my companions as we attempt to harness just a drop of that magic that we all hated, loved, lemented and celebrated that was UO.

Time Lord and Siriustar like this.
  5. jalmeida

jalmeida Avatar

It is definately a different type of game but you look and see only the negatives. What you have to see is how that actually created a community.... When Siege opened there was a few RP/PVE groups that came over and there was this one town I am having trouble remembering the name but the PKs would hit them over and over and they were starting to get frustrated and talking about going to a different server. instead the COMMMUNITY stepped up. I was at this point leading the guild I was in and so I went and talked to the leaders of the town. We created a deal they basically paid us for protection... Yes it was sort of a mob style tactic but it worked on so many levels..

the positives...
    1. The PKs got a good fight when they came to the town.
    2. My guild got a TON of fights without having to go looking for them.
    3. the PVE/Crafters/RPers got to do their thing AND it fit in with the RP.

Do you think people would get together and work something that complicated out in WOW... Do you think they could by name list off the guilds that were griefers versus guys just looking for a fight... How about the fact that in wow there is no consequence to anything... everyone had their role even the griefers but it was an actual community feeling... if I wanted something I did no stand by AFK in the auction hall with a bot serching the lists I would find a PERSON who made it and get it from them... if you were the best weapon smith on the server people knew your name and came and found you to get stuff made. THAT is what I miss the fact it was all interaction with people... I can not even remember all the time spent just hanging out in a player run town having contests shopping etc..

So yes its very easy for the new gen of player to say UO was all griefing but it all went together without the villians you didnt have heros stepping up to fight them..... and who didnt gate a balron into the knight room of deciet at least once to kill the noobs come on!

oh well enough ranting I have so many happy fun memories from UO and all I remember from a large number of WOW years is the grind........ I actually miss the interacting with hundreds of people and unlike WOW where if you were a total douche it didnt matter in UO... well Karma is a bi...... and I will see you in the Shame ele room at some point :)

I found this old link with pictures they are not mine but I am in a lot of them ;) if you played SP or Sonoma these might be of interest

Cool Pics and Stories!

6. jalmeida

jalmeida Avatar

if I had read yours first I could have just said "well said" instead of my rant ;) but amen all the same!

Time Lord and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  7. pedamimi

pedamimi Avatar

I played for years on Catskills and one of the things I keep ever with me is the role-playing community. It had to be the finest I have ever come across in any game.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. pedamimi

pedamimi Avatar

Hey Charlie, I think I attended your wedding to Kodoz.

Time Lord and Mugly Wumple like this.
  9. E n v y X I I I

E n v y X I I I Avatar

I'm going to write a post that is probably going to label me as a "griefer" majorly.
    I had no friends that played UO from England let alone on an American Server, but one day I stumbled upon a Female player on Brit bank and found out she was from England, a few weeks passed and we became pretty close in game, I asked here where she was from a few weeks down the line and she lived 5mins from me in the english countryside (so random)
    I used to play on Chesapeake, all my characters were as bad as you could get.
    PLEASE BE AWARE- I also did amazing things for people too and did not play like this 100% of the time, at the age of about 15 being badass seemed pretty cool.

Reco Elgred
    I did many many bad things on this character, I used to run the classic "lotto" scam of putting nothing in boxes and selling them at 10k per box.
    I almost got scammed into running a "script" on EASYUO that would make you drop all your artifacts and be able to do nothing about it, I then saved this script and pretty much scammed other players with it.
    I found a bug that if you parked your boat in a certain spot in fel/tram and recalled to it it would take you to the exact same spot in the opposite facet, this was amazing for killing house hiders in Fel and stealing artys that people would release in tram on a stealther.
    I would also gate unsuspecting players with uninsured gear to fel and kill them

GOLD FORGE
    I used to claim to repair peoples armor and just end up running off with it

Justin
    This was my most fun character to play because my brothers had characters named and dressed exactly the same, we were all in shadowlords faction as theives/stealthers, we used to just run about confusing the hell out of pvpers and factioners and totally dominate the sigils for a while.

I know I made some players lives hell but I also gave away alot of items and helped a lot of people in my time.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I noticed you didn't follow up with ... ", and we are still happily married."
    That leads me to believe you may have taken advantage of this poor girl in real life, and after you had relations with her you tried to find a way out .... :\

(shakes head) we all make mistakes. :rolleyes:

Time Lord likes this.
  11. E n v y X I I I

E n v y X I I I Avatar

haha at the time I was about 16 and she was about 25, I just thought it was too much of a gap.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Howdy Aedon. Filbert Eggcup here.
    [​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

LoL now I bet you regret that. Think about all you could have learned. hahahaha:D

EDIT: Of course I mean through talking to an older and wiser person.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. pedamimi

pedamimi Avatar

Hi ya Filbert. So nice to see your smiling face.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Norse

Norse Avatar

Nice? No it was not nice at all. But that was the beauty of Ultima Online. It was the first and greatest test of how players would play and react when given ultimate freedom. And you are wrong about Ultima Online being a greif fest. Adventurers, RP'ers, PK's, Guilds, solo players all played well together much of the time. In Ultima Online the players were the story line. When i was constantly PK'ed i figured out how to protect myself. Im glad i was not placed in some bubble of protection that would just lead me down a road of looking over my shoulder constantly. PK's were easy enough to handle, all ya needed was a spine and to be willing to learn.
    The flip side to Ultima Online is most of went on there never gets talked about. Players rose up against PK's and their guilds daily. Ultima Online was personal, you knew the people on your shard very well, friends and foes alike. There are few games since then that can legitimately make that claim.

Bottom line is the PK's in Ultima Online were at a disatvantage. And even as a new player all ya had to do was talk to people in town and make freinds. It was a great community that was always ready to give someone a hand up.

Rewards with out risks? Thats ok- keep it.

16. Sperg

Sperg Avatar

One of my fondest memories was sitting out in front of our guild house and sparring and cross healing each other to gain skill. We would also spend hours upon hours in shame GMing warrior skills.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

- Our dead prince was exhumed and reanimated to become a waiter in the Necropolis tavern.
    - Fidgit the orc took a crap on the king's throne. It looked suspiciously like sausage.
    - Filbert turned into a young woman after a resurrection spell went bad.
    - We rescued the children who had been turned into cookies by an evil gingerbread man.
    - Battling Ventryn and defeating him after finding his diary.
    - Fil and the Birdies took second place in the Battle of the Bands, "Blue Moon" losing to "Freebird". Filbert got into big trouble when the Birdies mooned the audience.
    - Duke Narius Shadune was set ablaze and thrown from the ramparts.
    - Risking permadeath on the community's ability to discover why Filbert would die again immediately after being resurrected.
    - Pies!
    - hundreds more.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. pedamimi

pedamimi Avatar

hahaha That was one UGLY woman!!.......Sorry Filbert, but even Aedon would not have dated you.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Aedon, in fact it was his wife, Daphne. Because of the mishap Daphne, a darling 18 year old, wound up with the body of a grizzled 50 year old, and Filbert got her body. When they eventually met, after much searching, they fell in love, married, and magically switched back at the moment of consumation. (Shades of Narcissus!)
    [​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  20. pedamimi

pedamimi Avatar

*swoons*

She looks just like Doris Day!!! I think I am in love.

Time Lord likes this.