Ultima Online memories!

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by VictorZanta, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Berek

Berek Avatar

My favorite moment is being an entrepreneur of a sort when my vendor filled rune library on Lake Superior was one of the busiest portals in Malas. It gave me such joy to help others find everything they needed in the land, and make a coin off of it in the process:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flint Westwood

Flint Westwood Avatar

Uo was so cool, so many things you could do, total freedom, crazy features for late 90's.

I remember (think it was 98 or something-56k dialup with all those fuzzy noises-) a friend coming to my house to "study", after 30 mins of fake interest in what we were reading he wanted me to play UO. He just had fun watching.

"why you kill that bird?" "i need feathers for crafting some arrows" "you craft your own stuf???" he bought a PC few months later just to play UO.

3. Lord Colin

Lord Colin Avatar

Ah man, where to even begin.

My first memories were chasing someone through the forest thinking to myself, "I need a horse". After getting a horse I thought, "I need DSL".

Server maintenance fights outside of Destard and Despise.

Getting my Order shield after hitting "Great Lord". Casting with my order shield. When a gate dropped and a dozen plate mages with order shields spilled out, you knew there was going to be a beatdown.

Hitting 7x first on Pacific. Was a huge race and I barely beat out Milamber Decoin who ended up third due to skill loss.

Trash talking on the forums. Having to take screenshots of all of your kills because "SS or it didn't happen".

Huge fights on Pacific: Pacific Guilds Coalition vs. Fallen Lords and others. Roaming 20+ man gank squads.

Sitting at EBB complaining about how spammy WBB had become.

Camping on the steps of castles, keeps, and towers for hours on my alt and stealing houses.

Server first GM Resist on SP. I was so sick of Titan/Gargoyle grinding I quit for a solid month afterwards.

Getting a smurf robe and helping a GM catch people using UOE in Despise. Hint: Don't chase around a perma-invis lich lord named "Bait".

UO to a large degree defined my childhood. I've been chasing that high for almost a decade, I hope this is home.

Yavrashu likes this.
  4. na0cho

na0cho Avatar

I used to get people overloaded and disarm their blessed vanq weapons so they dropped on the ground. Catskills server. we would even set it up where one of my guildmates would die and havea bag with alot of weight in it , they would loot then i would run up and disarm!

let them kill you and laugh as you respawn with the weapon

Yavrashu likes this.
  5. Borg

Borg Avatar

I played UO for 12 years I have lots of great memories, one of the most exciting memories I have, I was wandering Fire isle looking for a free house spot when suddenly a big house in front of me decayed, POOF!!! I saw all that stuff lying on the ground and no one around but me :) omg!!!! that was my first IDOC :)

6. Canaris

Canaris Avatar

I was robbed, beaten and murdered within the first 5 minutes of beginning my UO adventure .... good times :D

Beli and Yavrashu like this.
  7. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

8. fredingue

fredingue Avatar

I got so many good memories of UO i started just after Trammel was created...so i'm not "a founder" :p
    Most of good moments come from all the nice people from all around the world i met here or there, for some minutes or years...

My first char was a mage who was incredibly laggy. Once it took me 1 hour to cross West Brit Bank from left to right.
    I finally saw one of my friends and took 10 minutes to make her understand i needed a gate to Magincia (my main place to be)
    then 20 more minutes to enter the gate on time...
    6 months after, i was still unable to kill a Mongbat, because i was picking up reagents, then using spells scarcely, then freeze, then OOOoO

Then someone adviced me how to grind my characteristics and skills :)
    And i finally found out that buying lots of reagents then go kill mobs was much more profitable than gathering from the ground.

Then, i created several other chars, and, strangely, one was allmost lag-free while the others were allways freezing all times.
    So my Lady Elyria (of Europa), the most coleric mage tamer around took the lead...and i had so much fun with her.
    Despise, Shame, Titan Valley, then Blood dungeon...

It was the time of "No kill, please" "Damned lamer !" "Steal killer !" and everywhere Bards were hated.

I still go sometimes to Valor to tame a Greater Dragon, this was my last great kick in UO.

My main activity in the mid 2000 was to hunt blood elies at Shame from 6AM to...when rude players would come and kick me out the place...
    I would get about 15 T Maps per day from them and would sell them a good price.
    One of my clients was even sure i had found a way to duplicate them, lol

I had been lucky enough to be friended to a vendors house. A log cabin on Daemon Temple Island that had a very good rune Lib, so many players would
    visit the house and buy...I made tons of profits, having soon 5 vendors there. At a time, i was selling for good prices a lot of newbye-blessed black clothes, when only 2 or 3 black dye tubes could be found around.

I was as well selling a lot of things on UO Auctions. Like buying thousands of blank scrolls on fel for 2gp each all the week and sell them friday or saturday on small stacks.
    Same for reags (before Lower Regs Cost). I just panicked if i did not have 20k minimum of each before saturday.
    People who could only play on week-end rushed on my offers to grind cartography or scribe, or whatever, so i was making indecent profits :)

Another good moment was...when many players had left the game and i had Ogre Lords island in Despise for my bard only.
    After years of stress and grief with all those rude and agressive guys there :p

So i would put on good music and provoke for hours on that small spot, so happy to make them dance

As well, i allways adored the lost Lands....and Ostards, and would wander around for hours, meeting people on the occasion.

Other funny things : macros. At a time, i jinxed them, or did not have the same for all my chars, or was to lazy to redo them...
    So, i typed 3 billion times "i wish to release this" and other housing commands...and when in my L Shaped vendor house in fel, frequently ganged up by some Pks, i would type while running or fighting "I banthee", "I ban tee" and so on untill i was killed. And reds were laughing their bones out. It happened dozens of times :)

UO was not a MMORPG, UO was not an alternative reality, UO was the place for my chars to live their life...

Yavrashu and majoria70 like this.
  9. Hawkwind

Hawkwind Avatar

I remember counting the days untill Ultima Online came out, there was a software boutique in the lobby of the building that I worked in at the time and everyday I would walk in to check and see if it had come in. When it finally did I grabbed up two copies of the game, one for me and one for a friend. We were both huge Ultima fans, we grew up playing the different titles, our heads were full of many memorable moments from them and we were extremely excited to once again jump into the world of Ultima. Up until the inception of Ultima Online the closest thing to an MMO would have been SSI's Neverwinter Nights which we had played through AOL.

After some trouble being able to stay logged on we were finally able to do some exploring in the game. One of the first things I remember is while exploring the wooded area near Britian I found a bag hidden behind a tree with all sorts of goodies hidden in it. People were doing that to trade stuff to one of their other characters I suppose. Well, someone would be disappointed that day due to my eager exploration of the surrounding area!

Another fun memory I have is somewhere north of Britian my friend and I, while exploring, came upon the sounds of battle! We discovered a pitched fight going on between about 10 people and 1 gargoyle. The gargoyle was surrounded by the crowd that were standing off at a distance trying to keep the beast at bay. One person would rush forward to get a hit in, that did just about nothing to it, followed by the gargoyle launching a magical attack and killing the attacker. The funniest thing about this was the gargoyles cry every time he would launch his attack! This had me in tears as someone would rush in attack the gargoyle then get slain with the gargoyle yelling out his battle cry! This went on for awhile until the crowd which now included my friend and I, were able to fell the beast...what an accomplishment!

Yet another fun memory was after some time I had been working on taming animals and I had a grizzly bear tamed, which I had affectionately named Gwenn and two panthers named Fang and Claw. I was in Britian one day with them and I had come up with an idea to try and make some extra gold. I was going to sell animals that I tamed. So I found a good spot and began calling out my sales pitch as people passed by until someone approached and asked about Gwenn. I told him all that she could do and offered to demonstrate this to the proposed buyer. He wanted to see what Gwenn could do and I was eager to show off her abilities so we trekked off away from town and found a wolf which I was going to use to show the buyer her attack abilities. So with great confidence I yelled out "Gwenn Attack!" and Gwenn just sat there letting out a grunt but did not move. So, I yelled out her attack command once again..."Gwenn Attack!" Once again Gwenn moved not an inch and let out the same uninterested grunt. A third time I tried this time making sure I was doing everything correctly including targeting the wolf and all and a third time led to yet the same outcome with Gwenn firmly staying in place and her letting out that uninterested grunt. The proposed buyer and I stood there for a moment of silence and then he said "very impressive" and he walked away. I shed a tear as I was laughing so hard that this had happened. I couldn't understand what had happened but later learned that feeding your animals was a very important part of the whole taming thing!

One last funny moment I had from the beginning of my time in Ultima Online. One day my friend and I were off exploring and came across the dungeon despise! We where thrilled to jump in and and go exploring and many other people where there doing the same. How exciting it was to be running around in the dungeon with all these other people helping each other kill the foul beasts that dwelled within...until everyone stopped and just stood there. I asked my friend "what was going on?" He did not know. One person yelled at me "Why did you kill me?" I asked my friend "What is this guy talking about?" I didn't kill anyone. Or so I thought. Another person yelled "Kill him, hes a Dreadlord!" The next thing I knew I was being chased out of the dungeon while being attacked by the very people I had been helping. I was perplexed. What were they talking about? Dreadlord? Why did they call me that? That is when my friend chimed in and said dude, it says you are a Dreadlord. I opened up my paperdoll and saw it. I had no idea how that happened or why it happened until later on. Before I understood how to play the game I thought you had to keep double kicking on your target to attack it and I must have miss clicked quite a few times and must have killed at least that one guy!

These are just a few memories from the beginning of the game for me. I had so many fun times in Ultima Online...I am looking forward to what lies ahead in Shroud of the Avatar!

majoria70 likes this.
  10. Ulfang

Ulfang Avatar

Spending forever cutting down trees!

majoria70 likes this.
  11. Cuno

Cuno Avatar

I remember staying up all night at an IDOC waiting for the house to fall. A great guildie called Targus was with me the whole night. I passed out from fatigue at 3AM. Woke at around 8 and the house hadn't collapsed. I was there not for the items in the house but because I wanted the plot. It was a perfect forest home just North of Trinsic. I rushed off to work thinking that I wouldn't get the spot. When I logged on at around 10AM during a break, Targus was there holding the spot for me whereupon I placed my home. It's a great memory for a couple of reasons. 1. After 6 years of UO, I finally got a desirable plot to place a large home. and 2. It proved that UO had such a great community; my friend waited up with me all night and then took time out of his normal life to help me achieve an in-game dream. Thanks UO and thanks Targus!

Saosis, Beli, majoria70 and 4 others like this.
  12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Weclome Cuno!

majoria70, Cuno and Mata like this.
  13. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Cuno!

majoria70, Cuno and Tahru like this.
  14. Berek

Berek Avatar

That's a super awesome story Cuno! Which server? Targus sounds familiar...

Mata, majoria70, Tahru and 1 other person like this.
  15. Cuno

Cuno Avatar

It was Atlantic...and this was about 10 or so years ago. Targus was a great mate. One of the best UO friends I had!

majoria70 and Tahru like this.
  16. Berek

Berek Avatar

I'm on Atlantic!! I have what used to be the largest rune library on the shard, but it's now more of a museum, currently closed btw ;).

I'd be happy to show you around it sometime.

majoria70 likes this.
  17. Cuno

Cuno Avatar

I'm sure that I must have visited your library at some point! Of course, I remember Goodman's library. What was your library called? And where was it?

18. Berek

Berek Avatar

It was moved a couple of years ago to just west of the moongate outside of Trinsic. Here is a few photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the older location in Malas:

[​IMG]

Mata, majoria70 and Meyaka (PeV) like this.
  19. Meyaka2

Meyaka2 Avatar

Ya your evil but at least you admit it.

20. Meyaka2

Meyaka2 Avatar

I used this place for a time. Had it marked. Memories. Thank you so much. What shard was this on again? I was on a few official shards. Ohh and whoever managed this lot, thank you so much. Was a big help for many of us.