Ultima Online.

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by Perseus, Dec 5, 2013.

?

Did you play Ultima Online?

1. Yes

91.4%
  2. No

8.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

Beta through early 2000's. Mostly on Baja, Pacific, Napa...maybe others.

2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I'd love to see this poll get over 800 responses so we can have a good sample size... It already appears to be obvious but a nice sample size of 2% of registered users would be great.

3. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

I did play UO, for a short time at least. I believe I was on Chesapeake (SP?) for the time I played as a crafter. I was there because that was the place my cousin was on when I first got the opportunity to play, and later when I could actually afford to buy the game.

4. D A Morton

D A Morton Avatar

I played on Europa with this character and then later on when I went back to the game, played on Atlantic as Europa was quiet. I had several characters at the time and still have them on the account although I have not been on it for a long time.

5. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Baja, and some on Lake Austin.

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Lake Superior on release. Moved to Lake Austin later so I could place a Castle!!

I also had quick stays on AOL Legends (3 months) and Siege Perilous (6 months).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Kell Frost Wyrm

Kell Frost Wyrm Avatar

Never played it, it was largely due to the fact that I didn't have a proper Internet connection and I was saving up cash for music festivals at the time.

8. Cryptomancer

Cryptomancer Avatar

I was on UO, for about 3 years from its launch.

I have to admit that the reason I 'quit' (besides starting a good habit of getting out of an mmo before one's life is ruined), was because with each land rush to place housing, I always failed. Either through being unable to login quickly, or having a spot taken, etc etc. Frustrated at being a tower-less wizard, I gave my possessions to an even less fortunate friend and took off into space. So I am slightly nervous about virtual real-estate futures.

More stories to tell! My far-wandering mage was keen on cartography before there was much use for it (via treasure hunting), but unfortunately there was no market for the maps since everyone just looked online anyway. I had every intention of selling inaccurate maps of dungeons to the less savory characters.

I had a bard, whom lived as an ascetic in the back of Destard cavern. It was a rough life, but the challenge certainly improved his ability to charm beasts, serpents, and dragons. Well maybe I never quite charmed the dragons, but it didn't stop me from trying!

I also tried my hand at villainy, with a mediocre highwayman in green and bone who would leap out at travellers, poison them, and offer them an antidote for a high price. It was hard enough to land a blow to inflict poison, and harder still to catch up to them to tell them I had antidotes.

The only thing I've decided upon for SotA, is that my wizard had better well have a tower this time around!

9. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

well in UO you were the bees knees if you had 56kbps modem to get you around.

10. Kell Frost Wyrm

Kell Frost Wyrm Avatar

My modem disconnected every 7 ~ 15 minutes due to problems with the phoneline.

11. Stiler

Stiler Avatar

lol I was stuck on a 28.8k connection (well actually 26'ish) cause of crappy phone lines here in the boonies where I live, even though I had a 56k modem the phone lines sucked os much.

I was stucko n that until like 2002 when I finally got Cable, man that was like night and day, like going from old software rendering to having a 3d card.

12. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I played UO from July 1997 (beta tester) to Sept 2002 on the Atlantic server.

13. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

I was quite noobish, I joined lake superior I had no idea about ping/latency etc, living in the Uk it wasn't great. I started in the second age when I bought the game for like 99p in game, think they just wanted to shift some copies for the sub fee :p Was hooked and build a nice community and friends.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

I played forward from the Beta for about 3 1/2 to 4 years afterward. I began on the Catskills Server until I found a better fitting guild on the Great Lakes Server, and stayed there.

15. Root2

Root2 Avatar

I played UO on pacific and then later on origin from 98-2005 (I think). I then played on a few private severs for a few more years. I didn't hang up my hat until last year when I finally got bored with it. Ever since I have been chasing that feeling that UO originally gave me and I have yet to find it. Perhaps SotA will be the one.

16. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I was deeply vested in the making of UO, keeping track of development, involved in the forums, had a website, I bought the game. I was most interested in all the talk about how it had a self sustaining ecological system with the predators and prey.. When I heard they turned off the ecological system because too many players just wiped out all the creatures, I swiftly lost interest and never played it.

17. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I personally did not play Ultima Online because my friends (who did) were constantly being killed by griefers. (This was pre-Trammel.) They played for about six months after launch, then gave up in frustration. Thankfully, we won't have to worry about this problem in SOTA :D

Jambo, Alexander and Lord Baldrith like this.
  18. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

I started out my UO history playing on Baja in early 1998. It was a difficult time as we were playing from New Zealand on pings of between 400-800. Finally in about 2000? they opened Oceania and I started to really enjoy the game. I was a founding member of the VKR guild. I still have my original account but Oceania is now a wasteland and I don't think I could face the new account management system that EA have implemented. I might actually have a go again if they would update the graphics engine though.

sakuraba likes this.
  19. Dean478

Dean478 Avatar

Yes I did. I followed the game heavily through gaming magazines (news via internet was still a little slow due to dial-up) and was lucky enough to pick up Ultima Online: Discovery Edition in 2000. One of the greatest experiences ever. The game lived up to all the hype I'd been reading about.

Unfortunately by then Trammel had already been implemented to my disappointment. But it was still a great experience and free shards would later allow me to properly enjoy The Second Age that I'd read about. :)

20. Achillaeus

Achillaeus Avatar

Catskills 2000 ish

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.