Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Um, I contributed to this?

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by RobbyT15, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobbyT15

RobbyT15 Avatar

I gotta say, as someone who's donated and someone who's come to expect a decent game from someone who's been creating games for over 30 years(Garriot), and who has created the Ultima series of games and gave the world Ultima Online, I've gotta say, I'm disappointed. The user interface is horrible, the commands and actions lag, and visually, it looks as though high schoolers did the design work. I understand the game is still in its alpha phase, but if what exists now is what we can expect at release, I'd prefer to have my money back. So far, this is not a game that looks or plays as if it has almost $6 million behind it. I'm hoping a dev or someone will address this post to make me feel better about my contribution.

Player Killer and Heavy Smoker like this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

It is pre-alpha.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yeah.. PRE-alpha.. and 6 mil is NOT very much in today's industry where people are used to games with 80+ million dollar budgets that they never even get to see anything until the game's hit beta.. much less get to play it and offer feedback.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh RobbyT sorry to see you feel that way. I cannot believe the progress that has just happened in the last two releases. So very amazing they were, letting us see some of the depth and dimension that will be in this game. I think all releases forward will open that picture up even more. Also remember this game is not completed, some systems are barely in, like combat only in for a few releases. The Dev team wants input that's why we are here. If you have no patience to provide feedback and ideas to improve the gaming experience or to wait for the finished product then I do wish you well. You can always check it out after release or hear about it. I believe it will be something very special when done. ***cheers to you***

5. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

I keep hearing that 6 million is NOT enough... But that's bull crap. I have seen awesome games with half or a tenth of the budget.

Now. It is Pre-Alpha. It will only get better. It's release 13 almost 14 of maybe 20-something before Beta.

If you are worried about the money they have invested INTO the game currently, I wouldn't mind seeing those figures as well. imho, I would guess it's roughly 1 million so far though. Maybe 1.5. Depends on how much pre-built assets they are using and the amount on staff.

Caliya, Heavy Smoker and Joviex like this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Wow......staff must be getting paid peanuts if you think they only spent 1 - 1.5m on the game so far.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm sure we will hear it a lot more too, until this game is completed. So until then I want it to have the funding it needs. I am in for the long haul.

I want all the special features that other games might leave out, for example an awesome treasure hunting experience, a fishing system that allows for it to contain mysteries and unexpected things that happen, such as you fish up something that starts you off on a hunt to get a mystery solved (dead body, or someones watch with bloodstains dried on it), or a creature that attacks you or infests you with a poison you have to get rid of. These are the things this game will be made of. Perhaps not my exact ideas or examples, but this is why we are here.

Anyone can go off and not participate and others will stay and see it until the end, bringing up their cool ideas for the game.

So if you can't see the whole picture then go and hear about it later, or stay and get your thoughts and ideas in game if you can.

I will be here rallying for what I want to see in this game. It will take funding, and I want it to have what it needs. I do not question that funding is out of line, I think we are in line for what we want in this game. It cannot be compared with another. This is Shroud of The Avatar and it's own entity.:)

8. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

Depends, are they expecting to make millions right now or at launch? It's all a risk, just like any venture in life.

So, either they want a steady paycheck or they get paid their big bucks now and go broke too early in the development. IMHO I think they are in it for the long run and aren't making as much as you think they are.

Heavy Smoker likes this.
  9. Bamrak

Bamrak Avatar

I guess that button you click every time you log in that says it is unfinished and still is a construction zone isn't hitting home with you.

Let's put it in context.. It's Pre alpha (not beta, not alpha either) so if we were building a house for you, We'd have the roof on and starting to rough the interior walls, plumbing and electrical. So when you dreamed of this house, you envisioned the walls, the landscaping , floors, and all the nice things we come to expect from a reputable building contractor that has some amazing references.

So here you are as they are working on the house and you tell the contractor that he sucks because you don't have the garden built and we don't even have anything for the kitchen. You come to your house under the premise that you think they should have skipped over all the things and focus on where you will hang your painting, where to string Christmas lights.

Personally, I think as responsible stewards of our money and our dreams, I would much rather them working on the pre alpha bugs. From my perspective, I can't get into any city, so I have no money and no way to get the upgrades I need to be able to move through the content.... But, I get to be in on something very special and my only want is to have Designer Dragon amongst us once again.

Grimace2, FanofIolo, Saosis and 2 others like this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Well they do budgets and cashflow........I can tell you for an absolute fact that 1-1.5m doesn't buy much in the way of staff.

11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

How many of those were trying to be an MMO?

The much-despised WoW took $63M and 4.5 years to roll out... and that was back in 1999-2004.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL not sure I feel the same about WOW. I had a blast playing that game. It was just the griding got to me after awhile Sorry I just saw the much despised wow comment and I no way despise it.
    I have fond memories of it. Anyway back to the topic, please forgive me.;)

AvorinSwiftslay, KuBaTRiZeS and Tahru like this.
  13. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

RobbyT15, so sorry you feel so disappointed with our current state. I can totally understand your reaction. We have a LOT of work left to do, especially in the polish and optimization areas. Technically of course some of the design is being done by high schoolers since Richard never graduated from college... :)

Please do not let our current state make you think it won't be better by the time we release. Trust us we want it to be MUCH better in all areas.

14. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

No worries... I had much fun as an undead warrior wandering about Ogrimmar, performing various emotes while dual-wielding last year's mutton just before I let my account expire in mid-2006. The "much despised" is the prevailing sentiment I get from the forum-speak ;)

majoria70 and Tahru like this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I suddenly feel like I got my degree for no reason. lol

16. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

I am just taking national averages from Glassdoor:

Game Designer: 65k
    Programmer: 60k
    3d Artist: 68k

I am pretty certain that the Artist to Programmer ratio is around 3:1, but it could be 2:1 for this indie. As far as Designers, probably one or two per team.

But that was a guess until I just went to their Dev Team Page : Out of the 40 they had. 7 are currently inactive (not being paid)

33 Left. #1 Guy probably isn't getting paid (or shouldn't be expecting to)

So we're left with 32 potentials on payroll. From top to bottom I would say that it ranges from 125k down to 30k. A year.

But this all depends on how much they were willing to get paid for the very first year/two of development and what their contracts dictated.

So that's what, maybe 1.5mil for their salaries over the past year IF they went for top heavy salaries right off the bat.

So, my estimate is pretty spot on. Maybe throw in another 500k for various misc things. 2mil.

17. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

What degree did you get?

18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Roper Docholiday likes this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Development is about to hit the 2 year anniversay.. and you're not accounting much for other expenses. Office space, utilities, software licenses etc.

20. XcomVic

XcomVic Avatar

This isn't a traditional MMO though. I hate to compare it, but it's sort of what SW:TOR did and made it seem like a HUGE world, when it was barely a tenth of the Skyrim world. I think even less, I'll have to find that article, they used the zones like SotA is currently doing, multiple ones, but small zones. But actual sq ft is not all that great.

That said, Blizzard is it's own beast and no one should ever try to compare that studio with any other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.