Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Um, I contributed to this?

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by RobbyT15, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

The graphics are much better this release. For the first time I can see leather straps attacking my shoulder piece and with great detail mind you. I think the graphics on this game are fabulous.

2. wdboyd

wdboyd Avatar

Salutations,

I pledged towards the games development based upon my fond memories of playing through the Ultima series of games. Therefore, I am not against SOTA. From the beginning, I was not impressed with the games graphics and stated so on the forums. I have older games that compare to or are graphically equal to SOTA.

Regardless, I can deal with that if the resultant gameplay is top notch. Currently, I am banking upon the single player game being outstanding. At least I'm cautiously hopeful.

3. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

The graphics of SotA, to me, are way better than any game I have played. I still don't understand what I'm missing...

4. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I like the graphics a well. I wasn't to keen on the running animation before but this release either i have got used to it or they have changed it a small notch as i am now fine with it. The graphic style and lighting give the world great depth and vibrancy and are one of the games best points for me.

5. silencer

silencer Avatar

AAA color filtering that makes everything either blue or brown, which is similar to the only colors used in movies these days, free Lasik surgery level bloom effects that burn a hole in your display matrix and cannot be switched off, super awesome motion blur typically used to disguise poor framerates and of course super accurate nostril hair simulation.

Seriously though character models, animations and UI presentation are obviously raw, but I don't expect them not to be placeholders or revive multiple quality passes. Otherwise, I don't understand the inferior graphics argument either, but well there is a reason I guess why I start playing most AAA games by killing almost any form of post processing I can find :p

Tahru likes this.
  6. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Key phrase is "I have played".

Now, are we talking realistic-in-the-same-budget-range-as-SOTA? Or are we saying any game, ever?

I have played many games that blow these graphics away, but they do not employ anywhere close to just 5 million bucks for the project.

That is not to say games under 10 million all look like arse. It just depends on what the focus, talent and design afford.

So, which level of game/budget are we talking? Cause there are tons of games with better graphics.

As much as a bunch of people keep on saying this, it aint 100% accurate.

I am sure there are some animations and models that are "placeholder" while iterations are made, but if anyone really thinks they have the resources and time to go back and continue to iterate "finished" models, you are building yourself up for disappoint.

I also see people menioning how much better Unity5 will be.

Unity5, any graphics/game engine, is not a magic button.

The lighting model is improved in terms of PBR and even old school diffuse/spec setups, but it is not going to magically tesselate models to remove poor edge/polygon flows, nor somehow make textures all that more detailed.

Unity5 will offer improved draw speeds, better lighting computation (baked/pre- and running), easier setup in the Editor tools -- these are all things I have been impressed with as I work through the beta.

But it is not going to ++++++ the game content.

That takes artists.

Kaisa, Themo Lock, smack and 3 others like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't think it is going to be all about the graphics anyway. It will be attention to details and also what is possible for us to experience as players in the game . Can we open eveything, can we roleplay and have the tools to roleplay with etc. I have not played one single game where it was all about the graphics. I love, love, love the water in Archeage, but I do not love that game. I loved the graphics in FFXIV, especially the character graphics and movements, but I don't want to play that game. I also truly had a fondness for Vanguard Saga of Heroes and the extremely huge world you got to explore, (may it RIP), but the characters were truly not graphically gorgeous.

When I went back to play WOW again a couple of years ago because I wanted something to do and they had a new expansion. At first I noticed the cartoony look of it, but after a while I couldn't see it anymore. I was just use to it and glad to visit my characters again, lol, well until the grind got me again.;)

The point I guess I am trying to make is we continue on mentioning whatever we notice to mention, even if it is graphics, bugs, combat changes, content ideas, character changes or thoughts, etc, in the end it will be what it will be. So what we will have is hopefully a game that is so very rich in experience for us we can call it the place we want to spend hours and hours in and we will also be so proud of what it has become.:)

8. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

There are many graphical things in SotA that are really nice. Scenery, fog, lighting, the sky.

But the characters and creatures look like games from the 1990s to me. Objects are sometimes the wrong size or configurations, especially in our packs. Textures are missing in some things - the bricks in Ardoris all look identical, for example. I expect many of these things will probably get tweaked, but for now, this is what we see and report on.

Graphics in some games, too many to mention, are so much better. Assassin's Creed, Dragonage, Elderscrolls Skyrim and Online (the earlier ones, the characters look really weird), Dishonored, Thief, and lots, lots more.

dp_dropout likes this.
  9. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I guess I just appreciate the beauty of this game. We have excellent artists...Plus the community stuff is great...

I have played games like Vanguard, WoW, EQ2, UO, LotR, Skyrim...lots of old RPGs...the next best to me is Vanguard, which is a 2006 game which had a similar real style like SotA is...but it had dated graphics compared to what we have. I know they are not done and there are of course issues with movement and the avatars are pretty unfinished, especially hair and clothes...but just looking at the world, the desert scenes, the new snow biomes, the forests...Geez look at the screenshot threads...It's gorgeous! Gotta look at the beauty of the world to fully appreciate it I guess. I just overlook the unfinished stuff because I know it's a work in progress.

Eldyth, majoria70, Gaelis and 7 others like this.
  10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I think Duke Violations comments really sum it up, but to add a few comments of my own all I can say is how happy I am with this product so far. Not since UO have I been this excited for an MMO. I started out with the basic Steam $45 account and am now am a Lord Benefactor with my very own guild! Go Order of the Virtues! ;) Moreover, having gotten to be a part of this developing world has meant so much to me, sure the guys at the fire department think I'm nuts and my girlfriend rolls her eyes at me when I tell her, " Just five more minutes!" Yet, that feeling I get when playing takes me back to the very first time I played Ultima III as a kid and was hooked. So yeah, for me every dollar has been well spent and I look forward to meeting more of you all in our awesome little universe!

11. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Personally I think everything looks great now. I'm sure everything will look even better though in Unity 5 too.

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

They won't look any different unless they change the graphics to take advantage of unity 5. Unity 5 isn't an auto graphic upscaler.

Kaisa likes this.
  13. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Oh okay. I was just assuming they'd do exactly that.

14. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Dude!

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Proof:
    [​IMG]

Retro, Xandra7, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Damn, that was the secret 2xsupereagle filter!...Unity 5: Unicorn

Caska DiFumarate and Joviex like this.
  16. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

LMAO. Funny stuff.

So what will be the purpose of Unity 5, other than to say they have the new version?

17. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

18. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

So it does include things that could be used to potentially make things look better.

19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yes, for instance they have said that it will improve water effects, capes and hair.

Roper Docholiday, Joviex and Tahru like this.
  20. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Nice. It will be interesting to see if we will be able to notice if they used it to improve any of that if we get access to that build. Capes bug me the way they look and behave currently so that's good.

majoria70 and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.