Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Unicorn suggestions

Discussion in 'Release 55 QA Feedback Forum' started by redfish, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Just found the white unicorn in an encounter. :D

I wanted to at least find it before R55 went live, so I could take some screenshots and not have to forever face the ignominy of being gored by such a beautiful creature as a unicorn on the live server. Never mind being gored by them repeatedly, as I continue to move in and harass them to satiate my need to take the perfect screenshots.

I'll repeat some of the feedback I've given in other threads, but also have a few other ideas.

I like the way the tip of the horn lights up before an attack, its great. I still don't understand why unicorns are so violent. But then again, they were described as sort of violent, primal spirits in Ultima VII, before they were given a certain curse by a wizard that chastened them. ;>

I hope there's some way to "pacify" them enough so they won't immediately attack you, maybe some players will discover this already in the game.

MAKE THE RAINBOW ATTACK A MOON/SUN (TWILIGHT MAGIC) COMBO

Right now, the rainbow attack by the unicorn is purely Physical damage, which doesn't make the most sense, and is kind of boring to me ! I posted a thread in the 'Game Features' subforms suggesting Twilight magic (see thread here), which would be Sun/Moon combos. I also suggested it might be called Star magic, for various reasons.

[​IMG]

The basic premise behind including the rainbow attack is that color features like auroras, nacreous clouds, and rainbows have a connection to twilight as a time of day, as well as both involve features of Sun and Moon magic. The obvious connection to Sun magic is that rainbows are created out of a beam of light, and the connection to Moon magic is the prism that refracts the light to create the rainbow. Rainbows often appear after dawn because of the morning dew that builds up during night time.

Of course, I go into this more in the linked thread, where I discuss all sorts of possible Sun/Moon magic combos, including many that it would be interesting to see the unicorn have. So, for spells like Star Shower, Blur, etc. I think I have some cool ideas in that thread, and if anyone has some more they can contribute, too.

If its a combo, I would say at least 50/50 Sun/Moon Damage, although the Dark unicorn could lean towards Moon 40/60 or the Light unicorn could lean towards Sun 6/40. This would both be interesting lore, as well as prevent any player from fully resisting the Unicorn's attacks by specializing in Sun or Moon magic.

[​IMG]

You could also make the unicorn more elusive by having him mostly appear in twilight hours, again, varying this towards Dawn or Dusk depending on which unicorn.

MAKE UNICORN HAIR AN INGREDIENT AND CONSIDER MAKING HIM SHAGGIER

Another interesting 'ingredient' you might be able to get from a unicorn is unicorn hair, which I suppose would be primarily from his mane or his tale. In Harry Potter books, unicorn tail hair is used to craft certain powerful wands.

However, I've also particularly liked Medieval unicorn depictions that show them with a goat-like beard. This is a matter of taste, of course, but for me, it helps distinguish them a bit more from normal horses. The beard suggests a certain age and wisdom...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Of course, some are really shaggy, too.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.