Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Unicorn Weapons and Virtue

Discussion in 'Release 56 QA Feedback' started by Fruck, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fruck

Fruck Avatar

It makes no sense to me that I need to kill white unicorns for the weapon that benefits good virtue... Shouldnt this be the opposite? I mean I kinda understand... but just seems silly.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Do you know what the bonus is for unicorn hair bow strings?

3. Fruck

Fruck Avatar

I didnt test, but would assume its the same as the spear and daggers....

4. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I mentioned somewhere (I forget where) that the Light Unicorn horn focuses the energies of its wielder. Previously, that was a virtuous Light Unicorn, but now the wielder is (presumably) a virtuous human. And what was once wielded by a Dark Unicorn is now wielded by an unvirtuous human. Another way to think about is it this: The power of a Light Unicorn's horn is inherently virtuous, and separating a horn from a Light Unicorn doesn't suddenly make it a weapon of evil.

Fruck and Barugon like this.
  5. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

@Sannio
    I can see this, but wouldnt the very act of using a weapon made from a dead white unicorn be un virtuous? This sets up a bit of a catch 22 that should make using unicorn weapons bad for everyone. Using a weapon made from a defiled white unicorn is unvirtous but synergize with good virtue... vice versa for dark unicorn weapons

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  6. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Unless maybe I have to take that white unicorn weapon to a living white unicorn and perform a quest to get its blessing to use the weapon . .. @Sannio

GreyMouser Skye likes this.
  7. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

It's kind of a catch 22 either way they do it though.

8. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Seems to me that an argument could me made that it's not much different than a virtuous person killing an animal to use their body as leather armor.

9. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

@Sannio It has been determined (by the dev team) that killing these creatures IS un virtuous.
    Unicorns aren't being considered "normal" creatures. They are being considered "sacred/protected" by virtuous characters.

Using the items is a tacit approval of slaying the creatures so their parts could be used to create the items.
    This is not usually considered okay if the creature that was slain is considered sacred or protected.

• Drinking a potion made from the blood of a virtuous creature should be un virtuous
    • Using an item made from the body of a slain virtuous creature should be un virtuous
    For example: Can I have a stuffed bald eagle trophy in my house as long as I didn't break the law by killing the bald eagle myself?
    Short answer = no under most circumstances

Using/possessing items made from a "sacred/protected" creature (unicorn/bald eagle) is generally not considered a good act.

I think some sort of quest is really needed to keep players from taking a virtue hit for using these items.
    • You need permission/approval from the government to be able to display a stuffed bald eagle.
    • You should need permission/approval from the unicorns to be able to use their body parts without taking a virtue hit.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    GreyMouser Skye likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Look at tit this way: virtuous avatars can sell their items to unvirtuous avatars and unvirtuous avatars can sell their items to virtuous avatars. Seems like a good addition to the economy.

ozzzmosis likes this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yep, people would say wearing a jacket made out of dog leather is pretty much awful as killing a dog to get its skin, because its complicit.

The most suspect of the unicorn items is the blood, because you don't get that except through bleeding a unicorn. Although, since hair is replaceable, it might not be as suspect. Nor might the horn be looked at as different than ivory, or antlers, for instance, or rams horns, which don't need to be acquired through killing.

12. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

How do u kill a unicorn? At lvl 99 and a pure archer, a white unicorn dropped me in 3 hits ….. Don't tell me i'd have to group for them, seems most everything new is not solo friendly... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.