unlink steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Burne, Sep 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burne

Burne Avatar

how do i unlink steam from a sota account?

is it still not possible?

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You cannot. Once you do that, steam will not unlink it. Feel free to contact steam about that.

Also if people don’t know, if you install the steam version, at the login prompt, just enter your normal name and password, just like the standalone version.

Time Lord, FrostII and Net like this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Exactly. SotA does not use Steam for digital rights management (DRM), simply as an optional patcher and logon process.

Time Lord, FrostII and Net like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You don't have to play through Steam at all even if it's linked.

Time Lord and Net like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I unthinkingly linked to steam when it first became available. I never wanted to but I mistakenly thought we had to for some reason. I immediately regretted that quick decision since I never planned to play through steam. Also at the time pledges and accounts could then not be sold. Not sure of any changes in details now though and besides I really never planned to sell anyway.

For anyone If you don't plan to play through steam I advise to not link since you cannot unlink that I know of. If you do plan to then no worries. Players have many reasons they play through steam and the same goes for those of us who do not play through steam.

6. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

I wanted mine unlinked too, but was told by @Elgarion it couldn’t be done.

I asked Steam about this over a month ago and they stated that third parties are the ones responsible for managing the steam user links.

Steam does not have any involvement in the use of the API they provide to third parties other then to revoke access when a third party abuses the API or users data. It is up to the third party to implement tools on their website that allow users to unlink or modify their linked steam data.

Port would have had to fill out a form to receive an API key to implement steam linking on their website in the first place and accepted terms that state they are responsible for the user data they control.

From what I can gather that would mean it is up to Catnip now to manage/unlink/remove steam profile info with the steam API they have embedded in their site.

I have to say I’m not happy having my info seemingly at ransom like this. Also isn’t it a breach of GDPR to not remove/unlink accounts when asked to?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  7. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    This has been a long standing question. I have answered this in the past and would like to mention this again. It is a very important note because there are bad people in the world. This is not up to SotA or Catnip but is a function of Steam..

Steam is great because it acts like a streaming/portal hub so you only have to go to one place to play any game you have bought or linked to Steam. They also have Achievements and promotions that they do that keeps you playing. The danger is not to the person selling, trading, or giving the game to someone the danger is to the person acquiring the Steam linked game. Even if the seller removes the game from their library and deletes the keys from their list they can still reload the the game and then contact Steam, show them where they bought or linked it and they will give them access to the game again. This means I can sell the game and when the new user has invested time and money into their account they can log back in and at the very least steal all their stuff. I have tried this by removing a game I own and deleting the key. Gone into the game, not thru steam and changed the password., Then contacted Steam and requested access to the linked game and it was restored. Since the account was mine and I did not sell,trade, or give it to someone else I have not tested Steam support to see if they would grant me ownership of the game over the person I would have sold it to. I would assume that the original owner would prevail.

PS if you think you can trust your best friend to Never log back in and take stuff then ........ (yes I am still mad about that but it was many years ago and not with steam or SotA)

Time Lord and Net like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.