Unlocking SOTA's Potential with PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Maghetti, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

I didn't mean end as in a literal end. I definitely want a sandbox MMO. I just don't see much of a story to tell without the potential for conflict. The quests are interesting but hardly worth the massive amount of work this game has and will continue to receive. The character I have been making is part thief and part assassin. I barely ever see another PVP enabled person. I can't live my story as is.

Time Lord, Acred and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

He was incorrect... This is the Spiritual Successor to the entire Ultima Series, including UO. UO was only one title in around a dozen that make up the entire series.

He will be able to start up his old shenanigans in SotA, but only with those that consent to be victimized by it.

Time Lord and Acred like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Feel free to steal from and assassinate any other Avatar that has consented to be your target. You will never be able to force another Avatar that does not want to participate in your game to do so.

Time Lord, Acred and Womby like this.
  4. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

Are you trying to suggest that having more than a handful of PVP zones is a significant game change? That one I will definitely not grant you if that is what you mean. If PVP is going to be in the game, and it is, you definitely need to have a reasonable number of zones for those people or it is fundamentally unfair. And not just player towns, that is a given.

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I do see your dilemma and I understand. Many of us pvp/thief people have been around for 3 years pushing for exactly what you are advocating. If it was not for us pushing for thievery early on it was going to be pushed off until the next release or two. I am wanting to have it much like uo was in the pvp areas at least. Right now we are still in alpha state. Yes we are persistent, but probably should not be, but we are. Still that does not really mean we have everything in place. There will be more meaning in the future, to what degree I do not know, but there will be something. The devs only talk to certain people so I do not know for sure.

6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes.
    You're free to hold whatever opinion you wish.
    PvP can occur at any place on the map between Avatars who have forsaken the protection of the Oracle. Full world, Open PvP between those who have consented to it.

Please go educate yourself.

Time Lord, Acred and Baalice like this.
  7. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Was this streamer playing on a free shard or something? UO hasn't been PVP open world for a long time now before it was split in to Trammel/Felucca. I played before then and hated being a target for whoever/whenever. I came back after the split and still have an active account since '97. In other words, it didn't work in UO either.

I myself just can't imagine having to be PVP flagged all the time, essentially open world PVP. Guards are irrelevant if I'm under threat just going out to adventure solo or with a group. I think some of your changes specific to this are very drastic. I knew backing the game 3+ years ago that I would never have to PVP if I didn't want to. I pledged way too much to not at least add my voice to the rest of us wanting that to remain.

8. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

You're still needlessly and overtly hostile and I am not sure why. I have been very diplomatic. Would you personally agree with giving incentives to enabling PVP? That would also be acceptable to me. If there was a benefit to it being enabled that would be the reward in the risk vs reward I want to see. Also, even if the ideas you disagree with did not happen I still want to see a guard system. I do not want all out chaos. I want there to be places I am mostly safe and others are mostly safe. And surely the idea of additional player town guard types would still appeal to you.

9. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

I can appreciate that. For me, 'mostly' isn't really safe at all though.

Everyone has varying opinions on this but if I'm crafting, I really don't want the guy smelting next to me throwing liquid iron on me when he decides to have a psychotic break. Guards! ...oops, we were too slow, his face is half melted... ah, well. :p
    (yes, I am being silly, posts have been very serious lately, cut me some slack)

10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Welcome to SotA there is a whole forums about PvP and your ideas have already been covered one way or another.

1. Not gonna Happen PvP is either flagged or in a PvP area which you know about.

2. already done PvP is either consensual or in PvP areas and story areas do not require PvP at all and the ones that got dragged into it are being adjusted.

3. Shardfalls POTs and one PRT is it, or flag PvP no more changes as large as you suggest are even considered

5. Towns are as is the game has been in development for well over a year and still is but what you see is what you get.

You need to suggest changes that work within the confines of the game already created, the game is not going to be rewritten to adjust for PvP like a lot of the PvP community wants.

Concessions are already being made and I am sure a few more will come but Drastic core changes I would not even bother with.

11. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

He played on the side that allowed it. And used other tricks as well. Fake identities to join guilds to rob them. An entire network of communication crystals to listen to people say bank so he could show up and rob them. Things like that.

I don't see how you would be under threat if you didn't want to be in my proposal. Quest areas wouldn't have PVP. World map wouldn't. At least half of the "farming" areas would be non PVP. The cities would be guarded. I structured my ideas around the idea that many don't want PVP. But it seems to me from the responses I have gotten many here don't even want to grant PVP minded people any sort of areas or incentives or anything.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'm not hostile at all.
    Certainly. I am and have always been fully in support of any change to incentivize PvP amongst those to have given consent to participate in it. This however has limits... Were you to suggest for example that every non-town zone be PvP+ and that leaving a town was consent to PvP, I would object. To play the game for all practical purposes requires that one leave town to adventure. One must wander outside of towns to complete the story, or gather materials for crafting. The whole world is already open to Open PvP for all who consent to it by simply asking the Oracle. Those that are limited in where they go are those that do Not wish to participate, which cuts the Shardfalls, the previously mentioned towns, and any PvP+ Player Owned Towns off from them... Those who do Not choose to consent to PvP already have less of the map available to them than those who do. Do you wish to take more from us?
    I believe you shall get your wish. I know one staunch PvP proponent who desperately wishes for this for his PvP+ Player Owned Town.

Time Lord, Acred, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  13. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

My suggestions do fit into the confines. I went to great effort to form them that way.
    1. is about guards. You didn't even mention it. That was kind of the central idea to my whole post. The guards are already in place. They code NPC behavior all the time. This is just more of that.
    Having more areas for PVP only is hardly a large change. Its a small change. You flip some coding around and the "mode" these places are in change. You pick places without quests to flip. Preferably some places that are not all barren forests and swamps. I am not wanting war zones in the middle of no where.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

I played on the side that didn't, all the time. PVP minded people and PVE minded people just see the same scenario through 2 different lenses. There are many things I think we'll never see eye to eye on. Listening to how that player was on Felucca reminds me why I disliked PVP so much in that game. At the same time, he was probably having the time of his life. Not so sure all of his marks were though, but they chose to be on Felucca so there's that.

So, yes, when you say the responses are that many don't want to grant PVPers any sort of areas, incentives, etc., you will definitely see that. However, from a PVE side, I don't think that's accurate at all. Again, two different lenses.

Some of us like never having to worry about being attacked by another player. Some like it always on, for the risk, the thrill of the hunt/being hunted. The problem with the latter from my perspective is that a lot of us don't really want to be the source of someone's enjoyment being 'the hunted'. I don't think that's restricting PVP so much as just keeping it consensual.

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The Entire Map is a PvP Zone. How can you have more than all?

Time Lord, Acred and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  16. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

To me "Please educate yourself" feels like a slap in the face. Especially considering you have said nothing I didn't already know.

I am not sure what to make of this post. I feel like this post assumes things that reading my opening post would make the opposite clear. I would not make every non-town PVP. I felt I was very clear in this. I want some of the zones that are not essential to the quests to be PVP. But I also want at least half, or more, to remain non PVP so people who don't want it can avoid it. I do want the zones made PVP to have better loot, or unique loot, something to give people the incentive to go here who otherwise wouldn't. Also, the world map remains non PVP. The passageways I am less sure on but presumably it would be either non PVP or have guards. Not sure where you get the idea of people being cut off from things from...

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Your own words from your Original Post:
    The first sentence in your first enumerated point is to make all the rest work requires that consent be removed.

18. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

The problem I see with PVP right now is two fold. 1. the game is open world PVP in the sense that anyone can up and murder you at any moment. I do not want that. I love the roleplaying aspect. Playing a role and being able to do a large variety of tasks with little risk of random death. This is why I favor a guard system. I find it very realistic that within guarded cities I am far safer than when wondering around the wilderness. 2. The lack of incentive. Why should someone be PVP enabled, other than the experience? No benefit to your stats. No special loot. No special items. No cool unique cities. Right now it is all risk and very little reward.

19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

yes and no. Yes flagged people can pvp everywhere, but it is not like a true pvp area. I understand what you are saying and respect it, but again it is looking at it from two different directions. I guess you could say its limited pvp open world as you cannot attack everyone, just a select few. Again I do understand your position.

Time Lord, Acred and Maghetti like this.
  20. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

But it doesn't. Clearly I should have put more effort into that part. I just lazily wrote it because I wanted it to be known from the start that is what I favor. I didn't want to just mention the guard system out of place. Those two things definitely work well together. But not required to be together. You can have guards do all the things I talked about either way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.