Unplayable in town scenes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by ahninjas, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahninjas

ahninjas Avatar

Adventure scenes and the overworld work fine, but the game is virtually unplayable in town scenes. I frequently have to wait up to 20 seconds for a single frame to render. It doesn't seem to matter whether the town is heavily populated with player housing or not, every town, big or small, runs like a slideshow. I'm running the game at nearly the lowest possible graphics settings, and tried every possible combination of decoration loading options, but nothing changes the outcome. It takes me 10 minutes to go from my house to the crafting stations in Ardoris, when it should take me 10 seconds.

Sir_Hemlock, Market and Sorthious like this.
  2. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    What have you got going on for a driver version? This is a new version of unity it may be worth checking on that.

Also, i found messing with the FOV slider in the video settings smoothed things over.

Nelzie likes this.
  3. ahninjas

ahninjas Avatar

Drivers are up to date and FOV is as narrow as possible.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Try the Fast setting, and turn off shadows and reflection. Maybe give that a try and see how things go?

blaquerogue and Nelzie like this.
  5. ahninjas

ahninjas Avatar

Improves my frame rate a little in other scenes, but town scenes don't perform any better.

6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

can you do a /bug in game and copy the result here? it'll put the info on your clipboard.

7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I've been having the same problem since r54 came out. Tons of Hitching/Lag and Frame Rate drops in towns are bad. Things were running much better last release. I'm running Linux with an AMD RX480, so we don't run the newest version of Unity. The game, last release, was running way better. Still had hitching/lag, but it was at least somewhat tolerable. I have the issue in adventure scenes too, but it normally isn't as bad. Thing is, I will be hitting around 50-60FPS in a scene and then the frame rate will drop-out, normally down to the single digits, then right back up again.

Sir_Hemlock, Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah there’s some just wacky lag thing going on. Which was even worse in the Outskirts areas with my new character. And people stuttering and lagging on the overland map.

Sorthious likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm having the same issue but I'm using Nvidia.

[edit] I'm really tired of posting bug reports only to have them ignored or dismissed out of hand. I think that I might just stop.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Feeyo and Sorthious like this.
  10. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Video Card? Graphics Driver version?

Operating System? OS Patch level?

Amount of RAM? CPU?

There's so much that can impact what you are experiencing. I've been seeing considerable improvement in performance with this new release. ALL scenes load super fast, towns are easily navigated with no lag. Fill in some of these questions.

Jaesun, Kaffien and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  11. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    Try turning FOV up a bit. also do a /bug and paste your information in here.

12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yeah...haven't heard a peep yet from staff about the horrible performance issues happening right now.

13. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Put all of your information up.

I'm having EXTREMELY excellent performance myself. No problems, no crashes, faster scene transitions and buttery smooth performance in scenes. There has to be something going on or missing on your computer.

Matt Harris likes this.
  14. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

First of all, your experience with the game is not representative of everyone elses experience. Second, this is not an isolated incidence, as I am not the only one expericening the problem. Third, this is an issue that has been ongoing since I started playing the game back in 2016. I play on Linux, so my experience may be different from those using Windows, but the issues don't seem to be isolated to any particular operating system or video card. The problem that remains is that complaints about performance issues get little or no response from the makers of the game. You could easily say that the fact that Linux is running on an older version of Unity is to blame, however, the fact that Windows users are experiencing the same issues makes one wonder if it is a problem with the game, and not the players computer. I realize that every players setup is going to be different, and that there may be a unifying cause for the bad performance of this game, but just because you have no issues doesn't mean that others don't. For you to suggest that because you aren't having any issues that the problem lies on my end is probably the reason why the problem has never been addressed. You can update drivers and equipment all day long, but after you have exhausted all troubleshooting possibilities, you have to look at the application that you are running and wonder if it is the root of your problems. as Shelock Holmes says, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

6/7/2018 6:30 PM

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4) System RAM: 15914
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (AMD POLARIS10 / DRM 3.18.0 / 4.13.0-43-generic, LLVM 5.0.0) GPU RAM: 8147
    SotA.Linux.64.791.Date.06.06.18

15. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I think there is a notice in every release that Linux is not working as they would hope and I doubt they are going to do much about it. Windows seems to work pretty well. Tried that?

Nelzie likes this.
  16. Alley Oop

linux was immune from both the 98% bug and the mysterious canals appearing in the scenery bug. windows is not better, just a different set of problems.

17. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

As I said:

I agree for the most part, and I haven't experienced the 98% bug, however, I just locked up zoning in to Holtrot at 50%. The 50% bug, for me at least, isn't new either.

18. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

You don't need to respond with attitude, buddy. I mean... clearly it is obvious that my experience is not representative of everyone else's. It's almost like you are suggesting that I can't read and completely missed how other people, in this very thread are having a different experience.

This thread is a new thread about a new patch level of the game. Each patch brings different challenges, different experiences. Refraining from posting system information and claiming you are having problems since 2016 is weird, because so much has changed in the interim years.

Oh Hi!

I'm a Linux Systems Administrator. (and also Windows Desktop and Network Administrator.)

I've been rolling my own kernels since late 1999 and have been maintaining Linux servers and working desktops and laptops here there all of that time. As a skilled, knowledgeable Linux SysAdmin, I never try to game on Linux, unless it's a 100% open source, was originally developed on and for Linux game, because Linux is still nowhere near high enough in desktop penetration to be worthwhile for many firms to put resources into supporting an ongoing MMO. Which means, you're almost always, on your own. (I learned that I just have better things to do than fight a computer, ALL the time to just have fun. Ain't nobody got time for that.)

Do you have the latest kernel updates for your Distro? Have you run some Kernel debugging to find out why the game is running so slowly for you? There are tools to trace down exactly what the problem is. Maybe it's your graphics drivers and you may need to rebuild those or find newer drivers. Maybe your distro is out of date and you need to update piles of libraries and your kernel. Are you running a generic kernel or did you roll your own specifically for playing games that is unique to the hardware in your system?

Yeah... running an older version of Unity could well be your problem and... that's just something you have to take up with the developers or Unity to get them to put a newer edition out. You can't blame Portalarium because you're running a nearly insignificant sliver (for Desktop/Laptop gaming) Operating System if it requires the latest Unity and that's just not available to you yet.

As for Windows users experiencing similar issues... they could be running old, out of date hardware, just old drivers, maybe some of them have their computers infected with a virus or trojan that doesn't impact "normal" stuff, but slows the system to a crawl when they try to run any game, but they've only been trying to run SotA... But... they'd still HAVE to share all their information to be pointed towards ANY possible solution.

...yeah, but you're running Linux and trying to play a game with it. So... if my fully patched, up to date system is having no problems and there are many other people with fully patched, up to date systems that are also experiencing no problems... Maybe it is your hardware/software combination and none of that can be found out or discovered without information about the system being shared.

Heck, someone could have the exact same "Specs" as my system has, all with updated patches... but they chose cheap hardware components from totally different manufacturers, didn't research things deeply and... they have weird memory time out issues related to using the wrong memory stick for a particular processor/motherboard combo that only shows up when things are addressed in particular orders. So, they could be experiencing **** performance, with the same specs as my system. BUT, maybe there's a work around for them, which nobody could possibly help with, unless the person having problems shares what is in their system.

First thing.... update to the latest Ubuntu. You probably should update all of your graphics drivers too... and that Kernel... it's not from 2016 is it?

As for Unity on Linux? You might well be SOL on that one. They do not seem to have any information beyond the old release they did. I wouldn't blame them for dropping the project, there's more cost than potential profit from supporting a whole Linux Branch of many applications.

Linux, as a gaming machine will always be about you, on your own, fixing these issues and problems.

Good luck

19. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Generally speaking, as a gaming and home/office desktop/laptop system, Windows is FAR superior to Linux and will be, for a very long time. A very, very long time.

20. Alley Oop

that hasn't been my experience at all.

you done measuring penguins against sorthius yet? ...'cause you're both close to my ignore list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.