UO Catskills RPGers... I'm shouting out to you!

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by Kallendal, May 19, 2013.

1. Tompez42

Tompez42 Avatar

Tako Tako!

Judas D\'arc likes this.
  2. Desius

Desius Avatar

Greetings to all old-schoolers.

I primarily played on Catskills as Kamir Sang, of the Covenant of Blood (CvB) along with Myca, Serge, Celeste, et al.
    Prior to that I focused on Cethwyn Rhys of the BRS, who co-founded the guild with Debinani Rahl.

The earlier comment about 'vampires on every corner' made me chuckle a bit. RP vamps used to be fairly rare in the early days. We weren't WhiteWolf/VTM players. We had our own history and structure and we were heavily RP, getting involved in back room machinations with most of the major groups. We had our hands in many, if not most things going on in the first couple years of the Cats RP community.

Anyhow, here's to hoping SoA becomes something worthwhile. So far I am very concerned with the combat system as well as what appears to be a pay-to-influence system with only top-funding level backers getting a real say in direction (and what appears to be a lot of development time spent on constant new content generated for them specifically). Feels very much like "good ol' boy" cronyism politik and just sits wrong with me for some reason.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  3. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Old Catskills player also, owned the tower just North of the Brit / Yew / Skara X-roads. Made weapons and did repairs out of the Brit NE blacksmith shop for the PVPers in the GY to the NE lol
    Glad to meet ya all again..

4. kako

kako Avatar

I used to play catskills but i never rp'd. I ran around saying.... I r elf. And the elf people got mad. But i loved shadowclan!!

Judas D\'arc likes this.
  5. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Really old thread here.

I played UO from 1998-2008. I started in Great Lakes (was Lady Hawke there). I had been in several guilds - from the do-gooders saving innocent players in the east Brit woods, to PK guilds (GoD).

We used to go the Brit graveyard at server down warning to practice PvP so it wouldn't save for our kill counts & it didn't matter if we went red. That was so much fun!

I had a friend who played both GL and Catskills convince me to make a character on Cats to come to a party. So I hastily made a character, never intending to build her, and named her Satin (like silk, not satan).

I wound up staying and joined OSS (or was it OCC?) guild (can't even remember what that stood for). We hung out in Skara Brae. When I quit that guild, due to people quitting UO mostly, Skara Brae bank dead, and I couldn't get into their RP rules (elves couldn't use halberds lol), I went to east Brit bank for awhile and then eventually always hung out in Moonglow Trammel.

I remember DWG guild (I was even in it very briefly), CoV, and GoL. Eventually joined & stayed in *Q* guild (a German guild). The name was *Q* for Quitscheentchen, which translated meant "rubber duckies." We wore yellow capes because most people in the game avoided that color. Essentially, we had no guild rules and didn't even have to wear guild colors. lol

I had ICQ, and it was also a 6 digit number. But I haven't used ICQ since 2008 & don't even remember my login. These days, I'm on Skype.

Schmidbauer likes this.
  6. Kgedelian

Kgedelian Avatar

Lord Phantom of cats here, Lol this is crazy or what !!

7. Brother Aldric

Brother Aldric Avatar

WoW! Lots of memories came flooding back after reading through this thread!
    I played on Cats starting in 97 until about 2000 and was a member of the Guardians of Light.
    Brother Aldric was my main character and playing UO and being a member of GoL was definitely the best time I have ever had playing an MMO. I will never forget the day I was promoted to full member, standing amidst all of the other recruits in a ceremony atop the GoL tower. When my name was called I strode nervously to the front and faced Jasos where he told me to turn and as I did so he placed my purple cloak upon my shoulders.... *sighs wistfully*
    I ended up becoming an officer in the sub-squad Emerald Guardians and was mainly a craftsman for the guild. Our guild tower was on the main land but our home base was Serpent's Hold.

Edric, I remember you and that is a name I have not heard in a looong time. I hope all is well. I also wonder whatever happened to some of these people?

Jasos - GoL Guild Leader
    Temujin
    SevenofNine
    Stormbringer
    Isamu
    John Tangor
    Galen Wilding
    and sooo many more...

I also had an Orc with the Shadowclan, Grubgut I think his name was. GoL also had a sub guild of pirates that we would use for player run RP events, boy do I miss those events. I also remember the nightly events we would hold on the roof of the GoL tower. Sparring contests, etc. Since UO was a sandbox it was really up to the players to 'create' their own paths and I really have to hand it to the leaders and officers of all the active guilds back then. Looking back on it, the effort and time they put in coming up with fun events and other ideas to keep everyone having fun just blows me away. I salute those that I knew and those that I never had the pleasure to meet. Thank you one and all for making UO such a memorable experience.

-BA

Aeryk and Solstar like this.
  8. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Wow, I remember a lot of those names, and Temujin was a sweetheart to me for awhile.

9. BloodyDeath

BloodyDeath Avatar

Bloody Death, Hand of Chaos >H< checking in.

I currently play on the freeshard "UOR" and I'm having a blast. I've been there for about a week and it's really bringing back fond memories of the first MMO I ever played. I google searched Mikael D'Amavir for the hell of it and I was lead here. Honestly man, you were who I looked up to back then. I was in both of your guilds, K*J and >H<, and hell I even met you in real life. I'm not trying to jog your memory, I know you know who I am; who my family was. It's just good to see you're still around after all these years.

As far as Catskills goes, I was 13 or 14 then and I couldn't have asked for a better time gaming than those years we all shared. The roleplay in Yew, ganking our fellow K*J members on our Hand characters at the Abbey and 2 shotting fools with my lumberjack. All the while getting accused of speedhacking every night because I had a T1 connection and GM hiding when everyone else had dialup. But really, Mikael... Vaikima, you were an awesome guy and an amazing leader. Your roleplay skills were top notch, especially when you were trying to pick a fight at the abbey. Driving down to Florida with my family to meet you, your wife, Aramis, Snow, Justice, Dante, Seneschal, HoCuS... That bastard picked me up and threw me in the damn pool. Man, so many good memories that I will NEVER forget. In game and out.

Anyway, I don't know what this forum is for but I'm only here for nostalgia reasons. As I said, I googled a name and I was brought here. I'll be on UOR living up the good old days where there are no +20 skill cap increase scrolls or anything else post 2001. Good ol' pre trammel UO for me.

I'll check this thread from time to time. Take care.

Bloody Death >H<
    Silent Death K*J
    Mad Mateo K*J, >H<

10. MikaelDAmavir

MikaelDAmavir Avatar

BD!

It's great to hear from you!!! First thing ya gotta do is say hello to the MOOSE for me. Yea I remember you guys and I remember when you guys came down for a visit and everyone wound up in the pool.. that was a pretty damn good time!

I'm glad you took the time to take a peek here... Keep checking back, maybe we will all game together again sometime soon when Shroud launches.

Mikael D'Amavir >H<
    Hand of Terror

The only way to make good is to be bad

11. Rothchild

Rothchild Avatar

Hail fellow Catskillians,

I miss the days of hanging out at the telescope on Catskills. Our guild, Defenders of Justice (DOJ), used to gather there quite a bit.

Drya and Apollo31 like this.
  12. Renmarr

Renmarr Avatar

I was also on the Catskills shard during my days on UO. My two mains were Garhbad and Tanis. I used to be in the Purple Guardians Of Honor (PGOH). I recently got into the forums and cant wait to get started in the game. Nice to meet everyone here and in game soon!!

Schmidbauer likes this.
  13. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

I just got chills from reading this thread. I have a lot of fond memories from the old UO days. I still have an active account in UO that I've had since 97', haven't worked up to canceling my account. Ha!
    - Balandar, PGoH 1997 to now.

14. EmperorBorg

EmperorBorg Avatar

Aye Ancient Balandar.....and I still hold many accounts to maintain OLYMPUS area for the realm to enjoy.....Shroud of the Avatar may mark the era of change and we move here to have souls here......in the first Kickstarter I secured KNIGHT status for the guild to have a KNIGHTS manor as a guild home.

Balandar likes this.
  15. na0cho

na0cho Avatar

I played catskills from about 98-whenever aos hit.
    then i played a few free shards on and off(still have like 3 accounts on hybrid)

Never rp'd all that much , at least not on my main chars.

had a few....

Nystul of flaym
    Asheram
    Locke
    Deedlit
    Pirotess
    NaOcho

had a ton more but cant really remember as those were the main ones....

I was in population control [CoW] with fudd, ices, relic loresbane and a few others.

mostly hung around bucs den pvping or hopping through the teleporter to chase those IKY guys back in their tower.

just got this game on steam, looking forward to some good times

16. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Edric? Weren't you my sponsor in GoL, Knights of Shadow? Ayr Solstar - Celestial Knight here.

And Brother Aldric, you are speaking directly to my time in the Guardians of Light. I remember Seven and Niak and so many others. I think Jasos stepped down as GM shortly after I joined. All the PvP tournaments, Serpent's Hold... I'm still telling stories from UO to this day. Man, this is great.

Edric, Brother Aldric and Balandar like this.
  17. Mako99

Mako99 Avatar

Was reminiscing of the old Catskills RP days, did a search and this popped up. Great to see some familiar names that I haven't seen in quite awhile.

Played on Cats from about 2000 to 2004. My main characters were:

Mako - K*J, K+H, Bedlam and a bunch of others as I tried to keep in on the RP action as an old pirate trying to go legit
    Sir Edwin - >H<
    Kevin Donnelly - Clt

BD, got to meet you and the rest of the Moose clan on your trip down to visit Mik.

Between the changes to the game itself and the steady decline of the RP community I finally threw in the towel and decided to try some other MMO's after I quit UO. SWG was the only one I lasted longer than the trial month in, and they had to go and ruin that one as well. Played Vanguard with Moose for a short bit.

Would be great if this one can finally deliver and give us that old feeling again. The chance to hang with some old friends would be even better.

Porkcereal likes this.
  18. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

19. Caveloot.com Owner

Caveloot.com Owner Avatar

20. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Danke Stile!

*Runs off to enjoy Stile's website*