UO Crafting System

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Lord Gandalf, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Gandalf

Lord Gandalf Avatar

Did the DEVs ever bothered asking themselves: how many players would have played UO when it 1st came out if it had the crafting/reforging/imbuing/enhancing system up?

Are u trying to kill the game before it even starts?
    Dropping like 2452 types of items in the game wouldnt help us understand how this whole crafting system works.

Please check out other crafting systems like "albion online" how simple and nice crafting can be!
    How friendly are the icons of the resources u get, click on the whole box of the item to drag and drop! i hope u are aware that the crafting mecanics are just too complicated, and everyone is just raging about it.

i have no doubt that u guys are creative, smart, but if u want to create something really cool, good looking & smart make sure its reliable, easy to use & beautiful before u present them to the user... coz we know once its there itll take you another decade to change it back again.

Simplicity creates beauty!

Xandra7 and Ice Queen like this.
  2. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I always assumed players wanted more to master. The whole achievement craze is based off of people doing increasingly complex or repetative tasks to get recognition. Instead of achievements I'd rather have a crafting system that is nice and complex where my reward can be used adventuring or in my house.

Once the game is released and the fan sites are up to date I dont think crafting will be that hard to figure out.

3. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Everyone who?

You and who else? Certainly not me. I don't remember I delegated to you what I think about crafting.

4. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I don't think the recipes are very good atm. (How many critters do you need to skin just to make gloves?) And the costs/rewards are a wreck. BUT I like the system in its skeletal form. I love the complexity and know many crafters that do too. It is not perfect for sure, but then again, it has a long ways to go before release. I agree Zchosen, there are things that need work. But I do not concur that simplification is the right solution. BUT I must concede, SOME simple crafting patterns to help get the feel might be a good add. A crafting tutorial if you will.

5. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I haven't been a huge fan of the crafting system as it currently is, but it is also far away from complete. I'm still hoping for special events (more fun that what we currently have) like pricking your finger when sewing and burning your hands when smelting would be good examples. I also hope to see crafting/harvesting clothes for various professions like Vanguard (the champion of crafting systems) did it.

I do like the complexity of the system, but I think the ingredient levels are off balance. But again the system is not complete and it is coming along nicely :)

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes crafting still needs lots of work, but I'm sure we will get to it before launch. So we get combat fixed and fleshed out a bit then perhaps we can move on to crafting.;)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

can you make me a taming collar??? While i go out and work on my PVP? :)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL blaqueroque well I would be happy to make you a taming collar, well as soon as I figure it out that is. :eek:;)

Jivalax Azon and blaquerogue like this.
  9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I'll grab all the resources you need!

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well are you in QA? I have not gone into QA for a few days, but I can.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Naaaaa! i like the surprize of a new release! :):p

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ok well when we release on Thursday I promise I will learn how to make taming collars and make them for you.;)

Jivalax Azon, Logain and blaquerogue like this.
  13. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

The ingredients have to be a lot or else it would just not be fun. 100 animal hide to make 1 chest armor is fine, well it is a bit high but it makes the item valuable. I realize it doesn't make sense but if a skilled Skinner can get 6-10 hides off of it then they only need around 10-17 kills, probably more like 30-40, not really that bad. The other way to do it (if you want it to be realistic) would be to have to hunt for hours or days just to even find 1 animal to kill & skin like Real life. Fun breaker but realistic,Ha, If you like that sort of thing.

Sara Dreygon and Logain like this.
  14. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

This I agree with. It seems like you need an inordinate number of animal hides to make leather goods.

In early releases you could make a fortune off leather quickly and I think perhaps they were trying to nerf that. They should have just lowered the value of basic crafted leather goods instead of needing so many more materials.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Remember the early numbers on just about everything.. including craft values are just place holders for the time being.

16. Marek Laemenard

Marek Laemenard Avatar

I like the crafting system and complexity so far, but I find it interesting that Albion Online was mentioned.

Albion Online is a fascinating game, and it is also how I found this place. In the forums there, someone was tearing SotA a new one... But reading that person's complaints about SotA, a game I had never heard of... I was sooo intrigued. As they say, one man's trash is indeed another man's treasure!

I think there is definitely a place for AO's approach to simplified crafting, but SotA's more complex and less orderly system feels so much more compelling to me personally. AO to me feels like a MOBA in a persistent world, and the crafting reflects that. SotA to me feels like an RPG in a persistent world, and I think the crafting reflects that too.

I think both have amazing potential, but I also think they cater to very different audiences.

17. Logain

Logain Avatar

I know it seemed like everybody else understood your point, so maybe I'm simply stupid, but I'm going to ask nonetheless. Could you elaborate on what exactly is the 'too complicated' point?

(To me crafting is already too simple as is. Buy recipe at the merchant, open crafting book, go to crafting station, double-click recipe, hit craft button, done,... or rinse and repeat on the clicking part ;) )

Jivalax Azon and enderandrew like this.
  18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I assume for him it is the initial discovery of the recipe and placing the components each on the table.

After you discover a recipe, you need only click the book as you mentioned. Frankly, I think putting the items on the crafting table when you first learn a recipe is immersive.

Jivalax Azon and Logain like this.
  19. Logain

Logain Avatar

Given that you can purchase a great amount of recipes, there's a cheap 'comfort' option. The few 'non purchasable' recipes should require the extra mile for the higher reward ;)

20. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

*Points her magic sewing needle at him* *POOF!!* You're a taming collar! :p

I just had to!!!
    :D

(Hopes and prays that they won't turn Shroud's crafting into Vanguard's pain in the rear crafting.)

IMO they aren't doing too bad on dancing the line between too simple (therefore the game gets flooding with crafted goods) and too complex (therefore it becomes too much of a chore & goods aren't made).

Marek Laemenard and Jivalax Azon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.