Uo spiritiual successor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There is that of course. If it's an honest reaction and feedback 'this just isn't doing it for me as is' that's one thing. Say if you're heavily into FPS and you try out the PvP here you can get a pretty good feel that it's probably don't going to be on the FPS level, at least not for EP1 or anytime soon thereafter. Unfortunately, a lot of folks haven't gone that route.. how many have for example (and this is meant as a rhetorical question) quit because they paid so much and the game wasn't finished in 2 years or citing poor graphics or bad economy etc? Or any number of other reasons that are likely to change.. I don't know how many threads I've read where people complain in a manner which implies they expect nothing to change and it's kinda frustrating just as a player knowing things will change.

Anyhow.. moving on..

2. null2

null2 Avatar

Yes, and yet there appears to be a belief from Port leadership that there are plenty of sandbox elements available. This is not the case.

After one year of playing, apart from player housing, I have left NO mark on the world of New Britannia. Sieges don't mean anything, control points don't mean anything, there is no influence an avatar can have on New Britannia besides Player Housing.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Apart from what's implied in this comments.. what exactly do you think is missing that isn't planned or being worked on? (And I agree our actions need to have more meaning in the world even if only temporary)

4. null2

null2 Avatar

I would like to see NPC towns be more economically dynamic. RG got a lot of flak for the "Trade Routes" comment - trade routes aren't a feature that exists in offline mode, it is an emergent feature from the ability to buy and sell from/to players.

However, I think Trade Routes could be possible with a little economic background simulation.

* Add economic inflation when a town is under siege. Under siege? Prices go up.
    * Create increased value for goods in regional zones (e.g. Maple would be more valuable in Etceter than Brit because the scenes there are majority pine.)
    * Create commodity traders in NPC cities
    * Add new commodities for trading between towns (e.g. Ardoris nuts, Etceter flax, etc.)
    ** Commodity would decay on death so that traveling with them would be risky.
    ** Could not teleport with commodities
    ** Commodity would decay over time so that you could not bank a bunch and wait for price to go up. (half life of an hour/(in game day))
    * Create overworld traders that go from town to town. They can be intercepted by overworld mobs (creating a scene that you could go in and protect the trader), or players who will take a virtue hit for stealing from the trader (gets the commodities he was carrying).
    ** Overworld traders would make price of commodity from that town go up/down (e.g. trader from Ardoris to Etceter every hour, if trader doesn't make it to Etceter, then the price of Ardoris nuts goes up).
    ** Trader could be identifiable through the styling of its clothes (e.g. samurai for ardoris).
    ** Could tie this into the guard system, if you pull over and Ardoris trader and kill them, then you will be fined next time in Ardoris.
    * Add special master working to merchant clothing to reduce weight of commodities

Just an idea

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Sir_Hemlock, Gix, Bow Vale and 9 others like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think there's a lot that can be done with the economy features. I'm just not sure how much is planned or what the 'logic' behind it all is but my biggest concern at the moment would be that much of the economy will remain very simplistic. Both offline and online.

6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Great ideas but I doubt that the devs will include them in the offline mode as I fear the offline mode has to cause as little work as possible - which unfortunately shows :(

Sir_Hemlock, Jens_T and Cordelayne like this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

This is the biggest reason why people try and leave sota, I think they get its under devopment but they dont peecieve there is much to do or worth doing.

Yes people have very diffrent ideas of whats fun to do, crafting is fairly deep but not everyone plays to be a crafter and we cant only appeal to them. Currently there is way more supply of goods than demand so they have thier own problems atm as well.

Numa and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think the main problem with offline right now is the low priority up until this point. Most all of the features have to work online but also form the basis for offline. In many cases, offline features just need tweaking to be more offline appropriate.. so we won't really see that happen until the end. But I think they'll be missing a good opportunity if they don't do more. Especially post EP1 they should put more focus on polishing offline features at the same time as online so that offline quality keeps up.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I would like to know what grand sandbox activity, other than strewing your crap everywhere (coming soon), you could do in UO that is not possible in SotA?

FrostII and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  10. null2

null2 Avatar

The murder system (blue, grey, red). Order v Chaos. Monsters attacking towns, killing NPCs. Daily rares are a few that I could think of.

Numa and Barugon like this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I both agree and disagree about rares.. a lot of UO rares were the result of bugs and that much I don't want to see. However, I'm a big fan of the idea of rare, collectable items. PvP I don't consider as much a 'sandbox option' unless you include a solid NPC justice system.. Monsters wandering into towns unfortunately isn't going to happen do to the instance system BUT.. it would be cool to have the occasional random spawn.. such as a bandit attack on a small town.

But I remember once in UO.. someone spawns a wave of trolls that was meant to attack Vesper.. but they got sidetracked and attacked our guild complex instead. :)

Or here's a thought along those lines.. random map encounters that move and have a chance to enter a town.. X number of mobs could spawn in each instance based on the number of players in each instance..

12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I actually had a trade route in-game for a brief time. Itwaswhen npc pricesskyrocketedfor fuels in heavily populated areas like owls head. I was able to make moneyby hauling cheap coal from remote areas an selling in owls head.

But then they nixxed that feature due to player feedback i think. Coal was like 18 gold per in owls head and 6 gold in Goti

Numa, Barugon and nonaware like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is something I'd like to see but, according to the devs, it's very exploitable and they need to think about it more.

There are sieges but they're not really the same thing and the point of those seems to be a little lost.

Anyway, the things you list aren't really sandbox elements (at least not to me) but just features that could be implemented within the current framework.

14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I liked stacking cooked fish, raw ore and gold in piles.

I also enjoyed treasure hunting, 1s and 2s solo 3s 4s and 5s organizing a party. Sharing rare lootz.

The seas, fishing netting and chasing sos bottles.

Also in my corner of the sand box, i enjoyed chasing down rare and hard to find pets to tame.

Mute now, but id add searching for idoc lots with phat loots about to drop.

ohh loved these...

The beauty of a game with a sandbox feature, there needs to be enough stuff that people can find stuff that they like to do.
    Some people like the dancing scene imop thats the corner of the sandbox with cat poop in it, but im still glad its in the game for the people who like cat poop that is.

;)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Numa, neveser and Barugon like this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Food as decor! Gold piles would also be nice.

Numa, Barugon and Brass Knuckles like this.
  16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Though food as decor is in the game, id like to have a stack of 1257 salmon sitting next to my stack of 837 trout.

Numa likes this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yeah but not food you can actually cook and a lot of it probably isn't even placeable yet if you steal it. (though it is planned) As for stacked fish.. I don't think we'll see stacks of items the same way in a 3D environment.. but I would like to see piles of items usable as containers.

18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think it's still in, but after the economy crashed from nerfing mob drops, there wasn't as much crafting going on. Also, people moved on from Owl's Head as the main place to be. The population is a lot more spread around now.

Numa likes this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

You can't have regional economies without trade routes. And trade routes won't really be viable until mass transport of goods via ships, airships and caravans are in place.

Cordelayne likes this.
  20. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

As someone that mainly plays games for PvP I am extremely disappointed to even have this compared to UO or related. UO has the best criminal flagging system in all of MMO gaming hands down. Real talk, the only way i see this game having a chance is to get rid of this consensual flagging for PvP or atleast in a much larger range of zones that auto flags you. If people want to play without PvP there is a friend mode, a offline mode.... MMO side of things should be atleast 50% based on PvP objectives not decorating houses and emotes. Right now in the current state the only chance of any PvP is high end and consensual by basically /duel, even in the zones with auto flag people avoid it entirely in combination with the loot system of a random item which is usually some trash item.

The main difference i see from UO to SotA is open world, criminal system, full loot. I really feel like im playing a single player game with the possibility to play with friends, i would NOT call this a PvP game. So i strongly agree with this quote and i hope this will change, from the progression they are planning to implement with mainly the concept of everyone having the same level/skill when in a PvP zone is a bad decision (made for casuals and roleplayers). People want to build a character for PvP and compete with that. This change is literally making it pointless to min/max any PvP skills at all, just make a character min/maxed for PVE content and then zone in and have max skills for PvP.... see the problem here? It creates less and less diversity in the game.

I guess the demographic they are going for is the Ultima single player mode? you hit that right on the head.

If your wanting UO sandbox PvP, risk/reward objectives, criminal system: the simple fact there is no gain in PvP or a endless amount of load times, limited to non exsistant risk/reward in PvP. SotA has a extremely long journey in front of them and much different goals needs to be presented for it to be called UO spiritiual successor. Personally if i knew there was going to be PvP oriented game play I wouldn't mind investing and buying a house, spending money in store etc, i think they need to realize the demographic the game is catered to right now... It's defiantly not the PvP crowd.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.