Upcoming changes to crafting in R 53 - Gold Inflation and more Items for vendors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eli

eli Avatar

An item-flooded economy is better than one with primarily items too expensive to sell.

If you can sell items at material cost, that is better than if you can't sell items even below material cost due to the amortization of blown-up items.

In fact, with the new model you can sell 90% BELOW material cost and still turn a profit.

This also enables them to crank up durability loss without making the game significantly harder. It could even enable them to create full loot PvP zones and create a UO-like item churn.

The only problem I see is the infinite feedback loop. Crap items get sold to NPCs, crap items get looted, crap items get sold back to NPCs. There needs to be a 20%+ cut out of crap items sold to NPCs that get permanently erased to drain the cycle.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Beaumaris, Hornpipe and Rada Torment like this.
  2. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

If you watch the clip I linked earlier in the thread, Chris stated yesterday these changes appear to be on target for R53.

3. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

If I buy the materials for 1,000 and sell the finished product for 100 I think we have a different definition of profit.....

evillego6 likes this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

What? No
    You can't sell items at material cost now. Not even for 5% of material cost, unless you happen to get perfect rolls and end up with something nice. Even then, you're not selling that 1 item for all the materials cost of all the ones that died in the process. Players simply do not buy these items, and the npcs offer you next to nothing.
    The last thing crafting needs is durability loss to get worse; atm, even the nice items can't be sold for value because they're temporary.

So lets say this new system gets added so you don't 'completely destroy' things anymore. Instead of 'nothing' you get an item you can sell for 100g to a vendor. Not a significant improvement. Worse in some ways, as the item has no chance for redemption due to the lock against further upgrades. It can never be better. It will always be junk.

If the value of crafted goods (to npc) was cranked enough to make npc vendoring an option, its going to bring way too much money into the economy.

Honestly it would make a lot more sense to me just to tweak salvage so that at GM you get back 90% of the raw resources back and you can try again. As it stands now, getting 14 metal scraps for an item you've spent 20,000 gold working on is just as insulting as the npc vendor offering you 100g for it.

The best outcome honestly would be to dispense with the rng, let players pick their bonuses, and stop 99.9% of the junk from ever being made in the first place.

Imagine a world in which a skilled artisan could buy raw materials, turn them into a nice item - even a custom item for a customer, and sell the product for a margin over the cost to account for their time and skill. Isn't that more realistic than everyone just cranking out random garbage?

5. eli

eli Avatar

Thx for the replies. I'll provide an example to illuminate what I mean.

Right now to make a 3x3 carapacian epic cloth chest it takes 14k of beetles and 6k of gold/silver. 20k total. However, even if I don't get fully stacked int to make it sellable, I need to sell it for 65k to break even due to crafting loss. Instead I can sell it for maybe 25k because it had non-ideal stats and everyone is set for 6 months.

With the new system I would end up with e.g. a 3x1, a 2x2 and a 3x3. Maybe I could get 100, 10k, and 25k from those items. If durability loss is cranked up, coto repair is limited further, and free-loot PvP zones are created, that 25k item would be worth about the same, but those other items would have utility since most of what people do is grinding, they want spell crits for that, and don't want to damage their best gear for easy content.

That would mean I could get maybe 5k, 15k, and 25k for those same items, closer to breaking even. When I get a 3x3 with good stats and no dura loss, I can generate more profit by covering less losses.

If durability or item loss doesn't change, we will be in our current situation regardless of these changes.

this is the exact opposite of my interpretation of the market's behaviors

6. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

:eek:
    Should have messaged me , could have done it with probaby less then 1k beetles , the stats you wanted and have few chests ..leftovers.

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'm with you on that. A little bit of exploding gives a great sense of danger, even if it isn't every time.

8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

An epic carapacian cloth chest takes 20 beetles, at 500 per beetle that is 10k right there.

9. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

I wouldn't call it an ideal solution, but it's something better than exploding loads of gear to the RNG gods. Not psyched about the inflation this will cause. Another thought if it's locked and can't be enchanted/masterworked anymore why not add a way to sell/sacrifice them to a NPC for earning lesser COTOs or some sort of repair tokens?

Nikko likes this.
  10. uosylence

uosylence Avatar

I like it

11. Armitage_

Armitage_ Avatar

I agree.

Also, if this idea does go ahead, I think these items should not be repairable. This would limit the impact to crafters, and still make crafted items much more desirable.

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

that is an excellent suggestion.

Tiki Pirate likes this.
  13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think this idea has the potential to be very good, but the devil is in the details.

I've always been in favor of having something that prevents the market from being flooded with bargain basement enchantment failure gear, and this could possibly do that. It could also make things worse if too much gear goes into the loot tale or if people still sell all their junk on player vendors and not to NPCs.

14. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

How about them silver n gold scraps =)

Nikko, Lace, Spoon and 1 other person like this.
  15. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Will an Elf mage in the Rise be actually USING that tier 15 wand for it to drop? I will hate all GM crafters if I get death-rayed for 1000. :D

Elwyn, Hornpipe, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! This is the solution! Feed the mobs with the uber weapons! @Chris what's taking so long? Give them the goods! We must feel the wrath of our own crafters!

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I think the economy will adjust and really to use the economy to not get improved crafting, loot, and whatever else gets old. We will all adjust and the devs will adjust through feedback. Did anyone hate UO with its broken economy? I know I didn't.

18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I did watch Chris with Violation. He said everyone will think it is a done deal. I am just hoping it is. Crafting needs to be experienced as crafters can see their progress and get better at it. Failing at making a board and chair when you are GM'd is not good. In fact you should be making all superb boards if you are GM'd or making 3 or 4 superb boards in fact at times and also give you choices to not fail and reasons for your failure as this thread is about. And also if GM'd is not best the levels after should have titles Like Grandmaster Crafter etc with each giving new and improved reasons to level to that. So to me hearing about This is exciting news especially that they are actually thinking of taking some new directions and doing it.

19. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

That's not a bad idea, or something like; item already sold once to npcs, cannot be sold again.

I think he meant 15k igg of beetles, not 15k beetles ;)

20. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

15k igg of beetles is roughly 30 beetles at 500g each ..a chest needs 20 beetles - i dont know anyone whos got a 3/3 with stats he wants by crafting one item.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.