Food Wishlist - Ingredient/Buff Ideas for Food

Discussion in 'Queued for Review/Processing' started by Elgarion, Feb 19, 2021.

1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It really, really took me a minute to get what you are getting at. It seems kind of deep to dig out but I'm sure that's just me.

So I do have an ongoing complaint that almost all recent core system upgrades are centered around combat and combat balancing. I really do.

For years we asked for new skills to come to the cooking tree to bring it in par with other crafting trees or to be able to enhance foods ourselves to make a good or better or different food. You know something interesting for the cooking tree. Perhaps you add another ingredient to a food and it changes but those things would be more work probably. Anyway I also always wanted crafting to reward as you progressed and crafting quests to do for other reasons to craft that are some non combat quests as well. Progression quests too. Anyway I'm off topic as I do too much I'm sure. Cheers.

2. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I'm sure we can get some skills in there soon. We're definitely aware the cooking tree only has 1 skill. Definitely some new tech in your ideas, but they're good ones for sure :)

It's possible we could do this one day. Sounds like it'd add a nice jackpot feel to cooking or crafting. There's some exciting changes coming this release that'll open up some options for me when plugging in recipes. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do.

Not so sure. Chris might be willing to answer these questions on his stream. You might need to do some experimentation. I haven't made the recipe yet, but it'll have Crackling and Oil - Shroud of the Avatar Wiki - SotA (sotawiki.net) for sure. This recipe will not be difficult.

3. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Been thinking about this Bass with Peppers new recipe. I really like the idea as a riff on pipérade.

Here are my thoughts.

Bass with Peppers (Bass Pipérade) - serves 4
    • 8 bass fillets
    • 8 Peppers
    • 4 Onion
    • 2 Garlic
    • 1 white wine
    • 1 Jar of Oil
    • 1 Jar of animal stock (maybe add fish fillets as an alternative to animal bones for "animal stock" instead of "beef stock"?)
    • 1 sack of salt
    • 4 clam meat (optional)
    [​IMG]

Leylu420 and Elgarion like this.
  4. Leylu

Leylu Avatar

I really like the idea of new cooking skills. I'd like to see something similar to the refine skills, maybe even some skill-dependent food recipes (as in you get better buffs the greater your cooking skills).

ConjurerDragon and Elgarion like this.
  5. Indhira Dahgda

Indhira Dahgda Avatar

Not sure if this is the right place or not but I cannot find a recipe for "Salted Cured Obsidian Bacon" needed for Obsidian Bacon ANYHERE. Have been killing razorback destroyers for 24 hours now. Just want to make sure it is even IN a loot drop somewhere. Have tried discovering it by various combos of Obsidian Port meat/curing salt/Salt ingots/Sack of Salt/Chunks of Coal etc. lol. Am ready to give up.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Per Glepo in discord today, he killed 50 Razorback Destroyers and only found 3 of the obsidian bacon recipes.

That seems a tad low? It's a discoverable recipe so drop isn't that important......

Also per the api so far only 21 of the obsidian bacon recipes have dropped so far. But I don’t know exactly what creatures to check that have been killed vs drop.

I am not seeing any drops for a salt cured obsidian pork dropping at all yet ( if it’s supposed to be a drop). If I’m looking at the api correctly....

Or this is a discoverable recipe only, and no one has figured it out yet.........

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  7. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

The bacon recipes drop fine I think, I got one in less than an hour as did others in my guild. If the recipe drop is increased then it will be just one more recipe loaded to vendors at nauseum to sit for months or years as everyone and their grandmother gets 2-3 copies. I don't think we should be basing drop rates on anecdotal casual grinding of one of the highest adventure level players in game. People were already giving the recipes out for free in game yesterday.

I do not believe that a recipe for Salt Cured Obsidian Pork exists in game yet though, which is an ingredient for Obsidian Bacon.

My request would be for these new recipes that come in to not get a recipe drop, maybe only very rare if so, but for them to be unannounced until a delay of a month or so and discoverable and teachable to reward people who experiment with ingredients and give new recipes a more natural flow into the market as they are discovered.

Just like dragon eggs, there was all of one day when red dragon eggs were rare, and then the market got flooded with them. Even if loot itself isn't going to be rare, it would be nice if there was some more adventuring/exploring involved in discovering new recipes added to game.

Edit: teachable, not re-teachable.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  8. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I think this is the right food thread :)

A little Spindrift Bay inspired shark recipe idea to replace shark fin soup (a riff on Spanish shark with pine nuts):

Spindrift Shark
    1 shark fillets
    1 sack of flour
    1 jar of oil
    1 garlic
    2 pecans (sub for pine nuts)
    1 white wine
    4 tomatoes
    1 pepper
    [​IMG]

Edit: Shark with Tomatoes -> Spindrift Shark

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Anpu likes this.
  9. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

@Elgarion add some nice bonus for LB cupcakes also..thx.

Anpu and Elgarion like this.
  10. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

@Elrond how you gotten a LB cupcake yet?

11. simon1974

simon1974 Bug Hunter

i was looking at @Elgarion list, and there are a couple recipes i cannot find.

-Boar surprise
    -obsidian boar ribs
    -sauteed bass
    -grilled ammonite

are these ingame or are they new?

lijuan zhang

12. Indhira Dahgda

Indhira Dahgda Avatar

@simon1974 the boar surprise, bass and ammonite are not new. They've been around awhile. I do not know about the ribs. It is the only one of the three I have not been making for a few releases now.

13. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Obsidian boar ribs are discoverable through experimentation.

Hint: 5 ingredients, 2 are used twice.

Leylu420 likes this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Obsidian Boar Ribs and Boar Surprise are 2 discovery only recipes. An in game recipe from vendors (or drops) do not exist for these 2.

Both recipes are on the wiki (I added them a long time ago).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  15. simon1974

simon1974 Bug Hunter

so the sauted bass has been renamed bass and pepper???

16. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

• Yes, and all sautéed bass that was created was changed over to the new recipe.

17. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

So, on the topic of feed the village bonus.

I understand that the system is not done, and all things are subject to change - just want to share my observations.

It would seem that the easiest implementation of feed the village could take place at the cooking table itself while the ingredients are being combined. This was the case already with foods like spicy phoenix bites where one talon produces 8 foods. Otherwise some entire animals might need to be reworked, and this will be an area where the cooking skill becomes more useful at higher levels or could potentially benefit from future skills that could impact the feed the village bonus or exceptional creation effects.

Dragons
    • Currently, dragon stew is the most abundant food in the game - an un-depletable resource from one of the hardest to kill monsters in the game producing the cheapest food to eat due to shear abundance of haunches and meats
    • Dragons drop haunches seemingly 80% of the time, 1 dragon can be killed every ~6 minutes in multiple scenes in game, if not faster - ~8 haunches per hour from dedicated dragon hunting; each dragon haunch produces 8 dragon meats, which then makes 8 dragon stews
    • 64 dragon stew ingredients per hour (and each stew last 8 hours)
    • This is why you can literally host a contest offering 1000 COTOs for most dragon stews consumed over the course of a month, and you can still have trouble moving dragon stews at 39 gold each - because the glut in supply is insurmountable.
    • Dragon kibbles was a most welcomed blessing, honestly I think more recipes are really the only path forward for chipping away at the endless supply of dragon meat. (and lowering the buff time to 4 hours standard)

Dragon Eggs
    • 3% drop rate on dragons (feels like 15%) - 1 dragon can be killed every ~6 minutes in multiple scenes in game, if not faster - so if you pray to the wrong gods, then you would need to kill 33 dragons to be statistically guaranteed to receive 1 egg. - ( @Elgarion , are you very certain it is a 3% drop? In practice for me it really has been like 1/6 not 3/100) - so this would imply roughly 3 hours of dedicated dragon slaying per egg found at 3% drop rates with no other factors influencing that drop rate.
    • As such, if current drop rates stand, 1 egg should produce enough food to be worth 3 hours of farming for it.
    • For something to be worth farming 3 dedicated hours for, it should be worth somewhere in the area of 100k, which is what dragon eggs were worth in the beginning - the price of dragon eggs has dropped to ~40k already and approaching 25k due to market saturation. if in ideal scenarios one should hope to get 1k for producing the rarest of foods now, then my argument under this circumstance would be for the dragon egg to yield ~25 dragon egg omelets

Fish (Rare) - Ichthyosaur / Marlin / Swordfish / Sailfish / Dunkleosteus
    • Any of these fish, by a high level fisher dedicated to their craft, can reliably be caught once per day - but historically that time was spent going after one of the below fish and ending up with one of these as a consolation prize more often than not.
    • As they are one of the more accessible fish, I've never had a problem butchering the extras but they still yield only ~2 fillets per fish and then ~2 cooked foods. Due to their rarity and prior exceptional buffs, these were the only foods besides phoenix bites I could reliably sell for ~2k+ each
    • Still, it would literally be a full time job for multiple people trying to keep any of these foods in constant supply at current skin/cooked food rates.
    • Here is where I think an easy fix is just increasing the count of foods cooked from the recipe or butchered meats. Somewhere in the area of 20 finished cooked foods I think would drop the price to ~500-1k gold each and then they would be fairly common in vendors.
    • Another option is to turn up the drop rate of small versions of the fish, but it would have to be a significant increase to not have to also add a village bonus as well either at butchering or cooking.

Fish (Legendary) - Sharks / Mosasaurs / Plesiosaurs / Sturgeon / Alligator Gar / Pike / Tarpon
    • Currently ~1 shark drops in game server wide per server day, as is the case for most of the legendary fish, and there is very little you can do to increase your chances to be the one to catch that particular fish on any given day. Persistence helps, but dry spells exist regardless that can go on for months for even the most competitive fishers.
    • butchering most of these fish yields 2-3 fillets
    • 2 fillets yield 2 cooked recipes
    • The reason these foods were so rarely consumed historically wasn't because their buffs weren't good, they were outstanding, but the catches are so rare odds are you could sell the fish for 10-50k at auction or on your vendor if you didn't want it as a deco for yourself. The idea of asking 10k or even 4-5k for a food seems preposterous, so you were never in a financially beneficial position to butcher and cook any of these fish.
    • One solution I proposed for sharks, without diminishing the accomplishments of people who have been hunting sharks for some time, is the addition of smaller, but more common bull sharks that could add value to salt water fishing and more depth to fresh water fishing contests. Though considering the growing scope of the issue, a simpler stop gap might just be to turn up the drop rates of small versions of all these fish while leaving the full sized and large varieties untouched.
    • The yield for fillets from these fish wouldn't have to be adjusted then if the feed the village bonus was applied at cooking, as then the "shark fillets" may be only 2-3, but they are representative of all the possible cuts of meat from the shark, etc. and then a butchering bonus that adds 1-2 extra fillets on rare occasion is pretty huge.
    • Under the current situation, I think even a feed the village bonus of 100 cooked foods per 2 fillets used sounds reasonable.

Phoenix
    • Worst case scenario one can farm a phoenix every 8 minutes. My observations indicate something around a 15% drop rate on phoenix talons so ~1 talon an hour
    • 8 spicy phoenix bites are created per phoenix talon
    • ~8 phoenix bites ingredients can be reliably farmed per hour of dedicated efforts
    • Phoenix bites were previously a top tier fire mage food, I do not think 2.5k price will ever happen again for phoenix bites. It was also noticed that sun mage food was the slowest moving food under the prior buffs.
    • I fear that the problem with this food will not be the rarity or the price (though I doubt it will move listing it now at 500 gold each to make a phoenix talon worth ~4k as a cooking component) - but the lack of perceived value in increasing one's sun attunement.
      • I would ask that the devs keep an eye on what % of players are sun specced and of them what % eat sun attunement food over say, fire attunement food or food for their other spec.

Trolls

• Fire mages provide a nearly endless supply of burnt trolls
    • I am unaware of the current drop rate % of troll ribs in player dungeon T3-T6 troll rooms
    • Each troll rib produces 8 troll spare ribs
    • I don't currently foresee any need to tweak this at all.

Unicorns
    • From my observations, unicorns tend to drop meat 33% of the time. Only adult unicorns drop them and they only drop 1 meat as a rare drop.
    • A unicorn haunch would need to be replaced in the drop table, and then the haunch would need to produce the equivalent meats needed to produce the number of recipes to ultimately yield the appropriate amount of final cooked foods.
    • Currently 1 Unicorn meat makes 2 unicorn stews and 2 unicorn meats (one of each kind) make 2 unicorn medley (I spent hours last night hunting unicorns for the 3 meats I used to produce one batch of unicorn medley and one batch of unicorn stew)
    • So at current rates, Hunting unicorn at a rate of killing one every ~7-10 minutes at best case scenario by trapping an adventure scene, ~5-6 adult unicorns per hour, ~2 meat per hour,
    • 2-4 unicorn stews & 2 unicorn medley per hour currently - this is excluding the 1+ hour it takes just to find a random encounter that contains a unicorn.
    • This is currently the second hardest food to farm behind super rare trophy fish food, and has the lowest yield of foods returned for effort.
    • IMO unicorns should drop significantly more meat, or a haunch that could be butchered into significantly more meat, or the cooking recipe could be turned up to yield significantly more foods - to keep the price of this food down to 1k, I would say somewhere in the area of 30.
      • I am pro the cooking recipe yielding more because that seems like the least work, and if future cooking skills come online, one could possibly play on the feed the village bonuses by just increasing the chance of a % more food yields.

Wyverns
    • Another previously rare 2.5k gold food that is now flooding the market while the price is plummeting and will continue to do so.
    • Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, the wyvern wave battle is in my opinion the best wave battle in the game. Once we get the new scene with a higher tier tamable wyvern scene/encounter, we will only see more wyverns enter market as solo players branch out from Ulfheim and barbarian encounters.
    • Essentially though, there is no longer any practical limit on how many wyvern haunches enter the market on any given day since now both the means of accessing wyverns are increasing while the drop rate of haunches also increased
    • Each wyvern haunch yields 2 meat
    • 2 meat makes 2 chops
    • I honestly don't think anything more needs to be done to wyverns as they will become the next dragon stew if the meat yield is increased

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Anpu likes this.
  18. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

In case you had not tested. No luck from boar clan drops either.

19. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Sorry, that was a bug. The Obsidian Bacon recipe used "Salt Cured Obsidian Pork" which is unavailable. I submitted a fix on Friday, so that recipe will be on merchants soon. Also, there is discrepancy between the recipe name and actual ingredient name, one said boar, one said pork. They'll both say boar once that patches in as well.

20. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

I agree that the dragon egg drop rate feels higher than 3%. Maybe it is set higher on ancients and that brings up the average? I feel like it is a good drop rate currently - I have most but not quite all color eggs and multiple of each could be useful for deco purposes. But I certainly would not increase the drop rate at all to make them more available for cooking, there are a lot out there already, especially yellows, and an egg that big certainly should make several servings.