Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Upper Tears too Imbalanced

Discussion in 'Release 57 Feedback' started by mass, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mass

mass Avatar

Why are there so many incentives to spend time in Upper Tears compared to other scenes?
    1. It has one of (if not the) best xp grind rate compared to other scenes.
    2. It appears to be the only place where a rare artifact drops (creepy dolly).
    3. The beetle carapace drop is on par (if not better than) Tier 5+ PVP zones, when UT is a Tier 4+.

If it were one of these things, ok, but it seems like there's some weird compulsion from the Devs to concentrate players in this area. This causes some negative things like:

1. Causing players to burn out on repetitive gameplay in one scene.
    2. Widening the power gap between players who choose one play style over another.
    3. I typically play in open mode; this causes me to go 'private' to effectively use the scene (although, thank goodness for selective multiplayer).

Fix: Don't nerf Upper Tears (although, might want to check the beetle drop rate). Instead select other areas to provide similar advantages. I'm hoping dungeons will be as rewarding as UT. If I could go to a new place every day for the same reward, that would be awesome.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Apparently you aren’t aware of the other rares in other areas?

Elwyn likes this.
  3. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Really, other rares, what and where?

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Like cowbells and mushrooms?

Elwyn likes this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You can attune faster at control points. Did you know that?

6. mass

mass Avatar

I don't attenuate ever, so I wouldn't know. The point is that there are multiple high level reward reasons to visit a relative small scene that is 'mostly' supposed to be a tier 4. Seems out of whack. Would like to see more equivalency around the world in the Tier 5+ areas. Makes the game a lot more fun when you have a variety of spots to get equivalent rewards. You can get cowbells in multiple scenes. You can get mushrooms in multiple scenes. There used to be multiple scenes with equivalent beetle farm rates. When control points were all the rage, there were at least a few to choose from so you didn't sit in one area forever.

Chatele likes this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I am not sure what you are responding to??

The OP stated, and I quote;

2. It appears to be the only place [Upper Tiers] where a rare artifact drops (creepy dolly).

Which actually isn’t true, Tenebris Harbor also drops the dolls.

There’s also a LOT of other rare drops found in other areas. Of which the Cowbell and many others are found. ?

Elwyn likes this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Upper Tears was one of the more recent scene unclonings and to me it seems a step in the right direction re: making scenes more desirable overall.

While there are a lot of cottonbushes here and a decent amount of ore, there is not a single tree to chop . So yes, you can get good 'beetle gains' due to sheer quantity, but the nodes are only 600 xp ea instead of 1k compared to T5. I have found no evidence to support that beetle chance per bush is any better here than elsewhere, there's just a LOT of bushes in close proximity. If you took any scene and replaced all the trees with cottonbushes it would be similar.

9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

there's also absolutely no animals, so no skinning nodes either.

Jaesun likes this.
  10. mass

mass Avatar

I didn't crunch numbers, but I did spend a few hours in Verdantis shardfall recently and noted that the drop per bush felt slightly weaker. In my past experience, T4 nodes dropped rares at a substantially lower rate than T5 nodes (making it almost not worth while to collect things in T4 regions). So, even if it were equivalent, that's still surprising to me.
    And again, my suggested fix was not to nerf UT, but to bring other scenes up to par. For instance, East Vauban Foothills was recently uncloned and made T5+. It has zombie children that don't seem to drop rares and resource node density that's not quite good enough to incentivize your time there. Plus, mobs are generally easier there than UT. I'm just not seeing them spread the love around and I personally dislike UT as it is a small, claustrophobic, washed out scene. Hopefully other scenes will become more desirable so we don't feel compelled to camp one small area for weeks at a time.

Dhanas likes this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, I agree with you about the second bit - hopefully we'll see more unclonings (and adjustments) in this direction overall.

I think though that this calls for an extensive cottonbush test! ;)

mass likes this.
  12. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Actually, there is a pine tree at upper tears - just as you walk from entrance down to the abandoned village. But only one tree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.