Upper Tears

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Heh. How funny would that be for people to go grinding XP in hordes of imps, only to leave and find they have no gold left?

Okay, well, "funny."

2. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Actually they give more gold than they steal, hah. Usually 50-80gp on them if they haven't stolen from you. If you stand there and let them beat on you, some will steal, but.. you get it back when you loot their bodies and they have 80-115 gp on them ;)
    That would be amazingly horrible if they stole your gold and couldnt get it back, hah. Price of gold would actually go back up. :)

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ah, well, nevermind. I thought they always dropped the same amount, no matter what they stole. Individually, I didn't think they stole a lot, but I was imagining hundreds of them over hours of grinding managing to clean somebody out 20-30 gold at a time.

4. Floors

Floors Avatar

I just had an idea, they should bring gremlins back, but these steal your dragon stews and obsidian bear chops (food) instead of gold....

Nikko and Brass Knuckles like this.
  5. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

@Chris @DarkStarr
    This sort of manipulation should NOT be permitted.
    Surely an Entrance Level Requirement could be added to this group zone by design?
    I always add Level 80+ to my LFG posts.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What specifically are this characters stat levels? I assume Health is at 80 and......?

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

My vision for a possible incorporation of the story arc to the UT experience. Lets say your group has just completed the waves. At that point three cave entrances open due to an avalanche. Above each entrance is a runic marking one of the three paths. Players can choose which entrance to use for the next exploration. Players have differing levels on the various paths. So a player with high Love entering the Love entrance would be more successful than a player whose love path is lacking. The group picks one of the entrances to continue their adventure. Now, the fighting mechanic has changed, some who were less effective suddenly become more effective and vice-versa. I don't know how far this can be taken, but on first thought it seemed interesting enough to me to share with you all. Perhaps this experience could be incorporated along the paths to the virtues, requiring completion in some way along the story line and growth of the avatar.
    Edited paths/virtues

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

On the one hand if someone is levelling an alt so they can skip months of work, it's somewhat understandable if it's with that group's permission, but on the other hand people shouldn't be getting stuff for free.....

I don't think new players are going to do this, it ruins the fun of the game completely and also you'd never get the right skills mix, so only experienced players that want to try a different build out would do that, and is that so bad ? I mean after UT, the notion of ever competing with some of these people's skill builds is somewhat meaningless so does it even matter ?

9. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

To me, the larger concern is bigger than just people leveling quickly without having put in the "work". There will always be people willing to pimp XP for newcomers. The only remedy for this (that I'm aware of) is level-gated content, and the entire game was built on the premise that everyone should be able to play together.

The more concerning issue is what will happen when all these players rush into the endgame, and then quickly realize there really isn't one.

10. mccpx

mccpx Avatar

Manipulation?

Before UT it was monkey room before that it was mage room before that it was deep ravenswood before that it was CP.

You're permitted to pay someone USD to stand and their party for XP.

This isn't even a shade of that. Assisting a LFG group is in no way manipulation nor a departure from how this game has always been played..

the only outstanding difference between this map and the rest is the reward is second only to the original CP and the difficulty is laughable. It's a problem with the zone, not me.

Gravidy and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I lead many Tears groups and always welcome a few people that are clearly alts (wish it was more new players but they are usually alts). My only issue comes when you end up with a party of 7 of them. I usually have to bail from the group at that point.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I honestly could care less myself. If letting people pimp XP keeps those players playing the game then Im all for it. In the end it trulty does not effect me and my game play if they do other then we have more people playing and supporting the game.

Bring on 4x XP and let them all in.

13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

There are a couple of problems, 1st cps are dead now. Why do a cp much harder need a better group and slower reward.

Ut is easier faster does not require any real group.

You can 2-3 man it and be capped out in 12 mins.

Most groups have the exp cycles gamed, you kill for 30 mins collect ur 1 million xp take a 30 min break then start up again as your original attenuation is burning off your gaining xp.

Dont get me wrong im getting fat on this exp. Ive seen so many bran new players right outta soltown doing ut.

I dont understand how this is good for the game, but thanks for power leveling my alts and spare accounts.

@Chris you complained about the faucets being opened way to high in r36 with the cps, that aint nothin compaired to this. Its reasonable for people to collect 12-18gms a day.

14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Sure, why not. The question is whether or not this would result in long-term retention of players. There's plenty of content to keep somebody busy for about 6-12 months, but it might not be as fun or worthwhile with a massively OP toon. Last I heard, players were coming out of the outskirts zones already overleveled, which is why they are now going back and "refactoring" many of the zones.

But anyway, I will reiterate that I don't think anything needs to change about Upper Tears. It's a fun little zone and a very welcome alternative to the existing grind spots.

However, as with the other grinding spots, there really isn't a place for certain roles like Crowd Control, Debuffs, or Shields. It can be easily dominated with a few people running level 80 AoEs and a good healer.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea agreed, its either too rewarding for what it is or the harder stuff needs to be ramped up.

Why spend time building a good comp group or risks deaths when there is easy no brainer stuff that pays better.

mccpx, Milca and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.