Users of Shields

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadow, Apr 3, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

I’ve been away for some time, and wanted to get back into things. As part of that, I wanted to focus more on one aspect of crafting which has ended up being shields. Of course, I don’t use shields and have little idea what people who use these implements want in a shield.

My question is, what are the most desirable materials, shapes, and enchantments people look for in a shield? Do people prefer them to already have gems socketed? If so, which? That sort of thing.

Rather than craft shields that no one is interested in, I want to take pride in crafting items of value. So I appreciate any guidance you could offer.

Thanks,

2. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

From another thread, I came across the bit of information that shields are the very bottom of the list for specialization or mastery. Hopefully I haven’t gimped myself, as I have very limited access to silver, and have already invested what is to me a significant amount of time and energy to it.

I hope this isn’t another instance where I’ve dropped thousands into buying recipes (brewing), only to find that what I enjoyed was just a money sink and would never give me a return on investment.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I do not think you have gimped yourself, Shield specialization is simply not the best option when you consider all the other ones, but people do use shields.

One thing I know for sure is that Block Power is the best stat on shields, usually. As for Gemmed or not, it depends on 1 thing : can you get special enchants on shields (ex. Ice arrow Power). If you can get those special enchants, some shields can be built into a niche (ex. Block, Int, Ice arrow Power, to make a water mage shield), but otherwise don't gem them.

I would say Block, Strength(and/or) Int. Then, it depends on the user, some might prefer Damage resistance, some might prefer health, others Damage avoidance.

I know I am someone who occasionally browses shields, so let me know where your shop will be set up so I can stop by, might even buy one or two if I find something to my liking

4. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

I’m in Harvest, right in the center of town near near the crafting area. (Obsidian tower). However, my selection is dismal at the moment. I will be working towards stocking it, with better items as I can source more silver and gold.

So materials more along the lines of white iron etc, rather than const. or other materials are likely preferred?

5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I would say yes, in my case, but I would recommend having a high variety of shields, simply because not every player has the same mentality. I use shields to be as tanky as possible, but some would pick one simply to have the Block but still aim for high dps, so I would say don't limit yourself to one style.

6. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

For now, top of the pack is a Shield of the Wicked King unfortunately

Time Lord, Shadow and Sorgin Txakal like this.
  7. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Hopefully when Chris gives shield spec some love it will draw more people to it. I still would love to see a light armor buckler shield that is not as good a a heavy shield, but doesn't impact fizzle as much and maybe plays more with a dex based melee build.

Could also be interesting if the shields could make use of the offhand attack skill somehow.

8. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

for my top-end shield i personally use a masterworked Shield of Attraction for its extremely high block and lower fizzle. it does have a lower STR debuff but masterworking/enchanting can help that. i usually go for Block, Damage Resist, and STR on shields for heavy tanking. for my mage builds with shield i use INT and Avoidance. as Violet mentioned, unless i am after a special property i personally do not gem as its easy for people to do on their own or to get someone else to do it to match what they want.

9. Osunn

Osunn Avatar

I agree with Tirag, Shield of attraction with block, strength and resist. You cannot gem it but a high block and low fizzle is very important. Of course it will depend on your build. Block is hard to raise and this is the best way I have found.

Tirrag and Shadow like this.
  10. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

All great information. Does the type of shield matter at all? Triangle, round, etc?

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

you will want the shield that gives you the most components for what you want to build in to the shield. the round has 2 sheets and all others 1 so that one will give you the biggest bang for your buck.

Shadow, Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  12. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Only viable Shield is: Shield of Wicked king legendary or epic...durability and block modifier masterwork....enchant depends on The user build

Shadow and Time Lord like this.
  13. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

Thank you all for the input. I’ll look up information on the Shield of the Wicked king.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Crusader of Sacrifice

Crusader of Sacrifice Avatar

I use shields, I'll log on soon and stop by to see what you have.

Violet Ronso and Time Lord like this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Though, artifacts are getting "balanced" over the next few releases. I would bet any items people consider OP or best in slot are high on the list for a stat modification, and may not be as good or desirable after.

tomcat_de and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.