Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Verdantis Mines lower level, annoying/crazy respawn rate

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Nolove 0369, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yep, and I'm aggressively pointing out that the game works, if a person does play it, in it's full capacity. The points raised here threaten to bring back easy mode, and while that will make some happy, that will make many more unhappy. I'm one of those, so I oppose this thread, and think it is entirely "Totaly Ridiculous" as the title of the thread says! :) Is that how you spell that word? :D

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

A long time ago, I suggested making elementals mineable...Perhaps it is time to think about that again...at least that way you could get double the mining in :)

3. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

Glad to see you turned this into a Lrn2plaYn0oB thread. Not surprisingly coming from someone named 'Fister'.

4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I didn't do that! :) Are you hurt or something? I am opposing the threads main view, that is, to make mining easy again. It is more of a challenge now and the game should be hard, and slower to progress. Thanks for your input! Btw, there is nothing wrong with my name unless it makes you think of perverted things, you pervert! I am a Fister (it is a verb, as you seem to know!) of the Elements (Stone Fist being my favorite spell!)!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Themo Lock and Lord Baldrith like this.
  5. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Thinking about this comment. Is this area sufficiently difficult for mining and fighting? Have you tried it? What was your experience.

There are levels in some mines I completely avoid because the enemy respawn rate is incredibly fast. Etceter level 2 by the large slime. I end up killing one, mine a node then I'm back to fighting again. Do we go to the mines to fight without having time to mine? I'm curious what the intention is...

If I wanted to constantly fight, I'd go back to Brightbone pass and park on the control point all day ;-)

6. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

In all fairness, the game is pretty easy thus far. These mines are supposed to be 5 skull areas, hence high level content. I am the last person to ask for more ways for my quite wimpy mage to get killed, but if he can survive even with the new, supposedly increased spawn (I don't really notice it), then things are not really all that tough.

7. uhop

uhop Avatar

It was explicitly said time and again that people do not advocate the easy mode. People are against a mindless grind. Imagine that somebody crafted a game, so in order to do what you like, you have to play PvP for 3 days before that (I don't know if you like PvP or not). So it is 3 days of mandatory PvP, 1 day of what you like, then 3 days of PvP, and so on. Do you like to be forced into that cycle? If I want to kill mobs, I go to adventure areas. If I want to dig, I go to mines. If I want to PvP, I will go to PvP areas with like-minded individuals. And so on. The intent is clear --- why load it needlessly with non-core activities? Feel the difference: nobody says that mines should be mob-less. It is about a balance.

Another point is "what is easy"? It is not an academic question as it seems. Players come at different skill levels, and skills depend largely on how much time was spent playing the game. I already shared that I am at ~300h level since the persistence. To put it in perspective: 1 work-year is 2000h. Think about it.

We (the game devs and the community) should answer the question: when does the game become enjoyable? If the answer is "at 1000h" --- it is wrong, because not a lot of people are going to put that hours out of a blind faith that it'll be enjoyable after that. We will lose novices becoming a game of a few veterans --- clearly not a sustainable situation business-wise.

If the answer is "immediately" (e.g., no progression, all skills are immediately available without a grind) --- that's cool, novices will love it, because they can sample all the game can offer, but the game will lack longevity --- when everything is experienced, and there is nothing to achieve, people get bored. The only solution to draw people in this situation is to have more things to explore and introduce new quests on a regular basis. It works for some games. Games like that are basically a computerized book with a constant stream of new content. Hmm, potentially it can work for SotA. At least SotA can use these techniques to supplement its basic mechanics, and keep users interested, especially the RP crowd.

If the answer is "gradually", then we have to stratify the experience, and show novices a clear progression. At every single point of a character development, at every skill level, people have to have enjoyable things to do. Right now it is not the case, at least the balance is not there yet. Good example is Masterworking, which requires silver, which requires going into mines, which requires a certain adventure level, and a mastership in arms, which by necessity will require to do a bunch of magic learning (pure melee/archery build is not really sustainable), which in turn begs the question: "why (an almost) GM in archery with minor in air and fire magic wants to mine ore? was it really a good enjoyable detour for that character just to masterwork items?".

PS: Personally I don't like grinding. I prefer when my skills go up naturally when I am doing things I enjoy, like adventuring, visiting new places, doing new activities, performing quests. Finding a way to spam a skill sounds like cheating to me, clearly not fun, and should be avoided as much as possible. So I do not like answers "just grind until you good enough".

From this perspective when I clear a bandit camp, I expect that there is a prize at the end, some kind of a chest with goodies (and I don't expect to become instantly rich). Otherwise it looks pointless to me --- bandits pop up right back, so what was the point? I can see it enjoyable once, twice, five times. But that's about it --- because it becomes pointless. And activity should have a point in a bigger context. "Grinding" is not a good reason.

8. Verit

Verit Avatar

Tbh, that comment was a quick reaction to the negativity I see constantly directed at the devs. As you can see, even in this thread, there are people who like the changes and those who do not. So either choice the devs make will leave people unhappy and complaining.

I have not experienced the increased spawn rates. In that regard, I do not have anything constructive to say from first hand experience. From what I am reading here , a balance must be struck, perhaps reduce the spawn timer but make the mobs themselves more difficult.
    So, the challenge will remain but it will be less annoying.

9. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

This is the essence of the OP And my argument:

It takes a LOT of resources to skill crafting. Those resources take a LOT of time to gather and don't forget that they have to be refined. In R33 I could spend 4-5 hours mining enough Silver to produce 150 ingots. That included killing elemental spawns. Factor in the time to watch the progress bar smelting 600 Ores into ingots. Add another 45 minutes of mind-numbing pointless looking at my monitor.

Then I get to start Masterworking. Figure with the failure rate and current problems with RNG I get to attempt 2 Masterworks (10 ingots each), 15 pieces of whatever. This isn't even factoring producing the base item (leather armor, of which I had to go through all the gathering and refining of all the components for that, plus factor in that I have to get exceptional pieces for gloves and boots because the base durability for those is low and I have to get exceptionals to add +50 durability).

So I get to try to Masterwork 15 pieces. At the current RNG failure rate I'll blow up half of those. So I get 2 masterworks on 8 pieces. Then, I want to hand those pieces off to be enchanted. Which takes an equal amount of GOLD ingots that my buddy has to spend the same 2 days worth of his time mining and fighting elementals, plus he has to refine them, etc. And he blows stuff up because of RNG failure. So in the end you're not left with a whole lot and you still have 2 guys spending 2 nights in the mines, and refining and standing at the tables. And this is R33.

Now in R34 you double the spawn rate, and they all spawn at once instead of being on individual timers. Now I spend most of the time fighting and healing and not mining. And let's say because of that I bring home 50% of the ore yield (being very generous). So now I spend 4 nights instead of 2 to get the same crafting failure rates as I did before.

This to me isn't fun, if I want to be a crafter.

ALL WE'RE ASKING IS TO HAVE THE SPAWNS IN THE MINES ADJUSTED BACK DOWN!

10. himmelweiss22

himmelweiss22 Avatar

Just went to a mine again today with the intention to mine some ore, stopped after 45 minutes or so because i was fighting like 95% of the time.
    Constant/Instant respawn, and i was killing stuff very fast....

11. himmelweiss22

himmelweiss22 Avatar

You have not experienced the increase in spawn rates?

Serious questions:
    - what's your adv lvl
    - where do you hunt?

Because it's totally unbelievable that anyone would not notice the "massive" increase in spawn rates....

Kirran and uhop like this.
  12. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

@Fister Magee
    I love you Fister
    This was the best thing you said in this hole post

"I know I'd like some ore... I can't be bothered to mine"

A non miner who never spent a night down in a mine. Who has no clue to what the OP is even about. Comenting on what he likes and dislikes on a subject he has no Experiance in for a play style that has 0 effect to him.

Im glade my post has been able to entertain you and thank you for pushing you thoughts and beliefs into my post and discounting all my points based on the fact that you have 0 experiance on the subject.
    Go back to camp snoopy
    So the adults can finish talking.
    Kisses

13. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Hehe ok.. I don't mine :) But I do.. anyway, I love the new spawn rate! Helps the grind!

Nolove 0369 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  14. Verit

Verit Avatar

I have not experienced the increased spawn rates because I have not been in game for more than a few minutes since these changes have been made. I work full time, go to college full time and have a family to raise. So believe it or not, I have not experienced the increased spawn rates.

Snikorts and Nolove 0369 like this.
  15. himmelweiss22

himmelweiss22 Avatar

Ok, in that case, i indeed believe that you haven't experienced the increased spawn rates, lol...

Snikorts, Nolove 0369 and Verit like this.
  16. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

Take the ability away from crafters to collect their own main resources with out having to hire others to do the job for them, and you will get many unhappy crafters.

The game is not even released yet, and its being handed over to power-gamers to keep on controlling the player economy, at a time when some of us were just starting to enter the mines for the first few times. Very disappointing.

Snikorts, cartodude, cobran and 4 others like this.
  17. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

@Verit, this is a beautiful example that reinforces our point. Port has tried to make a point of leveling the playing field between the more casual players and the hardcore ones. I'm a hardcore player, and the example of the new brutal spawn rates in the mines is so painful for me (adding all the other environmental factors of the game into it) that even I can't justify spending time playing. What's it going to be like for someone that wants to craft who can only play a couple hours a week?

18. Verit

Verit Avatar

I am ,unfortunately, a 'casual' player at the moment, in terms of time played.
    I do not believe that the playing field should be leveled for casual players though. The game should be engaging for players no matter how much time they have to spend but I accept that I will not be able to master all aspects of the game until I am able to invest more time.
    I will progress but at this 'casual' rate, I do not expect to be able to compete in the marketplace with a hardcore crafter or on the battlefield with a hardcore adventurer. In fact, I would be extremely disappointed if that were the case.

19. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

agree 100%

Xandra7 and Nolove 0369 like this.
  20. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

Now also lets not forget the reduction in combat skills witch took me away from my main focus in the game witch is crafting. So now the spawn rate is insane and we are weaker. It was asked before but what is the aim of this?
    What I do also get mad at is people who use the phrase "why don't you JUST" This is sooo close minded and egotistical to say. The moment someone sais this, like one of the other guys said PvP ooo no you can't make us do that. But they are willing to say to crafters why don't you just get stronger in combat. My point is if this is not your play style and you do not do this type of thing then do not comment on it.

You are 100% right. But they are trying to o just this. make new players and "casual players" just as powerful and hard core players. Watch the telethon on them explaining the non-liniar system. Not sure ou guys remember but look what happened to Star Wars Galaxies when they did this. Plus many other games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.