Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Very Bad Graphics

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Mutilator, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

And for the record : I'm quite pleased with what I'm seeing so far.. graphics and otherwise.

2. Mutilator

Mutilator Avatar

Im rolling with a:
    580gtx+
    i7 3.4ghz
    8 gig ram
    64bit window 7

The system handles games with graphics far surpassing this, so maybe it could be a compatibility issue. Please don't look at it from an adoring fan perspective, look at it for what it is.

3. Chuzpah Goodfellow

Chuzpah Goodfellow Avatar

I think the graphics are acceptable for pre-alpha status, the game is not even close for the graphics polish yet.

4. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well honestly the graphics do needs some work I just hope it's not too late already. I made a long sword and I couldn't tell if it was serrated or just badly rendered.

Now i had all the graphics settings at max and got good performance and no artifiacts so that was a plus. Everything just looked...well old.

Of course the whole game is being designed for us old folks, so we're a little more accepting.

5. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Really? I think the graphics are beautiful in this game. Even beyond Vanguard (which is saying something)...

I was just looking at the crafters cloak and the beautiful shine of the gold around the collar was like WoW I think I need to buy that cloak now!

Also, the armor and weapons are gorgeous! Never seen better in a game...

Not sure where bad graphics thoughts come from...Maybe I just don't see good graphics in the same way :)

6. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

My SotA video presets are 2048 x 1152, 8x anti-aliasing, shadow distance high, use ambient obscurance (yes) and I'm very happy with the graphics. Except for the hair. The hairstyles looks a little bit like plastic. This extends to the bearts. By the way - please implement the option of three-day old beard :)

7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I think the character models need the most work. I think the scenery looks great. Many of the items, especially the PC worn ones look good.

8. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

Judging by the flattering screenshot it looks to me like you have graphics options turned all the way down.

Also as someone who plays Skyrim at 2560x1440 on ULTRA with ENB lighting and 146 mods including DLC and countless insane HD texture packs I can definitely say that the Shroud of the Avatar world looks excellent. The land mass, trees, grass, sun, skies, ground all look good. I am impressed.

Other bits and pieces like stone and wood textures are also coming along famously.

If I had to criticize - the world is too "bright" for me.

I am much more concerned about game content, combat and direct Ultima related content + Ultima rights in game.

9. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I think OP's concern carries merit, but alas! We must remember this is a PREALPHA. Many changes will come in the months ahead. Not that it diminishes a valid concern, but please keep this thought in mind.

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

You really think his concern that it looks like N64 games has merit? You don't think it's intentionally inflammatory intended to get people to argue or defend the game? I actually would have locked this instead of posting in it when I saw it last night right after he posted. If he is going to compare it make it a somewhat believable comparison.

Time Lord, Ned888, Margard and 2 others like this.
  11. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

The Unity engine is not on a par with Unreal 4 but then a licence for that is very expensive, What the team have done so far matches the quality of Unity demo's, Go to Unity3d website and download the Boot Camp demo, a free demo level of what Unity can do and you will see SOTA are up to speed. This is pre alpha, They just need to optimise the framerates as a lot of the 2 towns are built badly, A lot of polys are running in Kingsport with all the houses and windows etc, The engine can see into the windows and so draws all the polys in the castle and houses. They just need to decrease the Polys to increase framerate. I also noticed that even though i had my settings maxed out with AA on 8 the edges on many items and clothing were still jagged, So I don't think AA was working at all.
    I think the engine is on a par with LOTRO but falls behind games like Neverwinter and Guildwars 2, But i am happy with what i see, And am not to concerned with looks that much, And the volumetric fog coming off the sea at night looks great. Hopefully they will deliver in spades with Gameplay which the is most important.

sakuraba likes this.
  12. Malanthius

Malanthius Avatar

I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say the graphics are on par with N64. Just look at the screen shot comparisons. Now are they top notch compared to some of the current MMORPGs out or will be for 2014? No but I do not think that is even where the developers are going. I see these graphics of more of an artistic choice. Kind of an updated throwback to those graphics of long ago. That being said, they work for me and I have no problem looking at this game. These graphics are perfect if the gameplay is there. Look at UO. Outdated graphics but still fun to play on shards like UO 2nd age! Some games rely too much on eye candy.

13. deadq

deadq Avatar

I think you gotta go with something like AOC for better graphics but I can live with it the way it is. Polish the graphics later get on with the game play content!

sakuraba, Mishri and By Tor like this.
  14. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Minecraft sold 33 million copies with very "bad" graphics. It wont stop the game from being successful, and I think they have managed to get a bit better than minecraft, imo.

15. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

No, no. I do not agree with OP's statement. What I should have said was...."OP has a valid opinionated concern that should be respected". I in no way think that SotA looks even remotely like Goldeneye or any other N64 game. I'am quite satisfied with the 3D graphics seen so far in R1 and R2.

16. devastat

devastat Avatar

My biggest complain with the graphics is the lack of contrast - we need more light, more darkness. More shadows. Right now everything looks kind of flat..

17. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

Waiting outside the "Lunar Rift" to New Brittania
    Character models need work, I agree with that. Terrain, items look pretty good.

18. monxter

monxter Avatar

19. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

lol, come on, there is no way the graphics of this game are Nintendo 64 levels. If you're expecting Crysis 2 level visuals though, you're not going to get it. One small complaint I do have in regards to graphics are the current character models though. I feel the world and homes look great, but the actual characters could use a bit more detail.

20. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Actually, they were cutting edge. Ultima I was the first tilemap-based RPG, and Ultima III was the first with animated character graphics. The difference is that you only needed one person to do all that work back then.

Anyway, I am pleased with the quality of the graphics in the pre-alpha. I agree the character models could be better, but I'm sure they will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.