Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Very Bad Graphics

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Mutilator, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I don't remember the graphics being cutting edge..but I'll take your word for it. I do remember Ultimas as being the best gaming experience I've ever had though. If SotA can capture a little bit of that magic..it doesn't matter to me what the graphics look like.

docdoom77 likes this.
  2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The hardest thing with unity / crowdsource is getting that consistent style. And to me, that's most important. It's not about the level of graphic detail, it's about finding something you can feel immersed in.

That said, I'd put more effort into the characters as that's what you want people most attached to. As I've said before, the Aion character creator/ graphics were simply amazing for what's now a 5 year old game.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  3. Jamet

Jamet Avatar

You can't be serious. :) Ultima 7 was so beautiful and way ahead of anything else at the time of it's release. And Ultima 9 pretty much invented the third person roleplaying game, and had absolutely stunning graphics back then. Ultima Underworld revolutionised the way I look at Dungeon Crawlers, to this date!

I agree this isn't all about graphics. Or gameplay. But these aren't mutually exclusive! I love Mario games, they have perfect gameplay. But having awesome graphics does not take away from the experience. You can have booth. ;) Really, really.

That being said. I think, currently, the graphics is fairly poor. I mean have you looked at games, recently? Let's go waaay, way back and check out Gothic 1. No, the textures aren't so hot anymore. And the 3D models are poor by todays standards. By the world design owns. Design is everything. We don't need to have better effects or better textures, or even better models as badly as world design.

What we need now, really is better world design.

Currently, everything is way too neat and orderly. Effects are overused, everything green looks like happy summer, too. I think this world could benefit a lot from having more, much more variety in color tone. Have a litting grit. Have some aging. Less or more decay. Grass isn't the same green everywhere. And again, I say this now because the time window for these words is here NOW, before things -have- happened. :) Wind doesn't blow in only one direction, and swinging branches don't do so in perfect unison and timing.

And hand made animation, sure, I'll just wait for that to improve, but just saying: it does need improvement ;). And additions like sheathing your weapon and all that.

4. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

That's how I'm feeling as well Mishri. The landscape is looking nice, the character models need considerable more work. And diversity, but that's another subject altogether, hehe ;):p

5. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Ah.. you got me. I should have clarified: I couldn't play past Ultima V because my Apple IIe couldn't handle it. I'm sure I missed out on some good times.

6. Jamet

Jamet Avatar

So did I, -- I just happened upon the later half of the series, I guess. :)

By Tor likes this.
  7. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Borg

Borg Avatar

Very bad......... thread title, tbh.
    Comparing graphics to Nintendo 64 is totally out of place.

At least you understood game is at Pre alpha level...

9. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Lord Vaylgar Vexsian Avatar

No offense "mutiliator" but my models do not look like that , even that being said this is a pre alpha, the concentration is not on graphics, also I owned a N64 and the comparison your using is no where near, and makes me think you really have no idea what n64 looked like. Even so, you obviously have no clue what Pre Alpha, Alpha, Beta test really mean, this is not being done completely as a promotional aspect, yes they do force you to buy in order to play but that in this game has to be, I dont want whiny trolls in the tens of thousands in here flooding the forums with nonsense no offense but like your spouting here, are these Crysis 3 graphics no, but this is alpha and quite frankly they probably never will be, its not wanted, asked for, promised or even hinted the graphics will be to that level we who are bought into this game are mostly old school players of Ultima Series and UO or Ultima Online the first MMORPG in 2d graphics. (No dont try starting a flame about this , there is no argument that will win this one the only thing before UO was some MUDs and one attempt at a game that doesn't even come close to qualifying trolls use to argue with after they Google and get bad info.

The purpose of these pre alpha tests, alpha tests to come and beta, is not to let you in game early, its not early access to sell there game its for proper testing QC, so when the game launches it works unlike 90% of the games released and put early access to steal your money. Your in a new generation of gamers, obviously , and your trying to complain in a old school setting on a old school game where everyone else here except for the young who managed to buy in, dont see to get what Testing phase of a game is really about. Sorry you expected 2014 graphics in a pre alpha game but sorry it will never be geared towards top of the line graphics I fear so save yourself frustration and understand that now.

10. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

well being one who was playing in 1996 first ones in the door I can assure you the graphics were way ahead of the time, if you dont think so you were not there and dont really know.

docdoom77 likes this.
  11. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

I dont give a hoot what anyone says I played through Ultima Ascension over and over the game was gorgeous in that time and even despite the bugs the game was great to me as all of the Ultima series were. I can honestly say there was not a single Ultima I disliked and didnt play for endless hours

sakuraba, monxter and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I was definitely there. I started playing Ultimas in 1984. When I remember back , it's not for the graphics. I remember the exploration, immersive gameplay and everything else that made it such a fantastic series. I wasnt putting down the graphics..just saying that , for me, it wasn't what made the Ultima series so great.

13. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

I still see a outdated computer or GFX card or user error on turning up gfx, from your screenshots Mutilator, my colors and pixilation looks nothing like yours, is much smoother on my system mine is exactly like Saku's screenshots beautiful and vibrant, very acceptable even if they didnt get a bit better from there.

majoria70 likes this.
  14. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Your doing something wrong, not changing setting something, because mine look much better then your screenshots sorry.

15. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Your wrong on some of them, granted Most Ultimas were never geared for graphics but storyline, but they had several UO, Ultima 7, Ultima 9 all had breakthroughs we never saw on another game before the time those were released I know because I was running, the Voodoo Banshees, 3dfx cards, and such from the time periods and I wasn't a computer nab, I was building my own back then.

16. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Age of Conan? Lol 5 years ago yea, not now, I mean the visuals are ok still, but they are not top of the line anymore, but yea. Storyline in that game Sucked, gameplay got boring quick, same old thing over and over , basic MMO Template used now days dont even bother reading the quest . Yes I have 8 level 80 characters in it so I know, not a bad game no but yes ive quit the game 3 times in the 6 or 7 years its been out because I get bored really quick and it only takes a week to hit 80 now. took me a month with the very first toon on early access when we got the 12 days early in game before public was allowed in.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  17. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

too bad for JOO!! :p You missed some great games after the first 5 , that to me and everyone I know who actually played them in the day they were released, fulfilled a great expectation of adventure and get away!
    All the Ultimas ROXORED to me I played them during the release didn't try going back 25 years later to try them like a lot of people did then judged their graphics.

18. Jamet

Jamet Avatar

If you'd not care what anyone says, why be here? :)

Look, we both played Ultima 9, and we both thought the game was gorgeous. It still is better looking than Shroud of the Avatar at least in aspects of World design. Ultima 9 is not flat, and looks lived in. You are running in doors that aren't locked. The point you've made above wasn't in dispute. I think Shroud of the Avatar is bland looking, failing in points of world design, and the time to chime in is now, not later (alpha). ;) I believe these points will eventually be addressed because we as a group put some emphasis on the design part, not so much textures and effects.

19. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Oh definitely I agree I didn't play Ultima's because of the graphics but many of them also pleased me like UO and Ultima 7 and 9 pleasantly in the day :) Storyline and immersion, exploration is what makes it a few other things too yea but so important.

20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I may have to pick up where I left off. It will be a great way to pass the time until SotA finally gets here. :)

Jamet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.