very disapointed with the continued Archery nerfs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fenrus MacRath, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

I understand a lot of people got very upset because archery was allowed to be a viable class for a few minutes. I know that the only real way to fix the game is to cave to the loudest complainers. it has been a real golden ticket for the Dev's so far. I have to say, that this latest round of nerfs to charged shot speed and crit chance, as well as crit damage is pretty awful. I know that lots of other players complained about the old way, but still they are able to knock off 1900 point crits with their skills and archery has slow , cumbersome and ineffective other options. If the major complaint is that charged shot, is basically a free attack, instead of just destroying the whole class and bopping along to the next big fishing upgrade, how about making things like aimed shot/ rapid fire/ piercing shot equally as effective as Fire magic/ pole arms/ blades / Ice magic /and lets not forget DEATH magic. I have been a huge booster of this game since inception, but man there is only so much I can take. There are WAY to many other games out there that actually WANT me to be a player. Maybe its time I take a look out there. @Chris @DarkStarr , I thank you guys for your best efforts and the hours I enjoyed the game.

Hornpipe, Chatele, FrostII and 10 others like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you listen to Chris' livestreams, he seems to believe that Aimed Shot is OP. Also, I have asked him in the past to reduce the charge time of Rapid Fire (a nearly worthless skill) and he said the he would not give archers more DPS. What? I wasn't asking for faster cooldown, just faster charge time so that the skill might actually be useful.

3. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

They are pro melee. always have been. I'm no super archer, so these nerfs make life pretty difficult.

Fenris

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't think they're pro-melee but I sometimes think that Chris is anti-archer.

5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

If it helps moon got nerfed with the new damage resist buff thing, I guess it’s physical dps mostly

6. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

I can understand the changes to charged shot and Shield of Air but what exactly were the other changes to archery? I have lost a lot of dps and I am not using charged shot.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

He fixed a bug where you were getting an extra charge on your skills and he increased the armor of all mobs.

[edit] They still have not fixed this bug.

8. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Personally, I don't think its a case of them liking one build over another, but more of a case of them building a game of moral consequences instead of focusing on what is actually fun for the end players.

Everything in this game has to have a penalty or cost that is borderline prohibitive.

It's kind of like the old joke where the kid asks his mom if he can go swimming with his friends, and she says sure, as long as you don't get wet.

You can play this game, but you have to work really hard to have any fun at it and if somehow the news gets out that something begins to actually be fun and empowering (like an Avatar should be?), it is quickly complained about by at least one person in the community and the devs are very fast to figure out a way to make it painful again, because again, every thing you do must have a moral choice or consequence. It's the whole premise of Richard's design.

I really really do not understand how a company trying to sell a product, can be that far, on that end of the fun scale, have anemic player base numbers by almost ANY industry metric, and just continue on that path like numbers don't matter.

Repeatedly.

It's crazy in my book. If I ran my business like that, well, there would be no business.

There's a very small group of people (10-30?) who play this game who throw crazy money at it, and that's the only reason this game continues to exist to this point. And I'm glad they do. I'm hoping this game makes it through all of this and at some point they finally get finished with the major development/polish of this game and get around to focusing on things that are fun.

There are some great concepts and foundational systems in this game that give it great potential. The flexibility of changes and ideas added to the game is nice. It has tremendous potential, the problem is, not too many people can stomach the grind and needless pain long enough to get hooked by it.

The rule of thumb is: If someone has any fun, they must atone for it with pain. Individual power must be diminished and mitigated, the rich must be taxed and chastised (even tho they are the ones who carry the cost of the game's existence), everyone must be as equal as possible regardless of individual effort.

The real problem is us. What part of, even your escape fantasy world must adherently mimic the social agenda of the real life you are trying to escape are you having a problem with?

Don't ask questions, don't complain, just assimilate and obey. It is your destiny. Stop fighting it and learn to enjoy your atonement for your foolish desires and your hidden thoughts. When pain becomes pleasure, there is no more pain.

9. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Don't worry if a few people leave due to nerfs and sadistic game play, we have plenty of people left....

WAIT....Where did everyone go????? HELLO! HEEEEELLLLOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  10. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

The archery skills like aimed shot, blinding shot, piercing shot have always been underpowered and don’t seem to do much of anything useful worth having them in a deck, when you can just use better glyphs with charged shot. Now that charged shot is adjusted hopefully some adjustments will be made to the existing archery skills liked aimed, blinding, and piercing shot - to make them useful. They sound good in their description but in practice - not so much.

Geaux, Sulaene Moon, GMDavros and 3 others like this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Hey @Fenrus MacRath , I tend to agree with your posts as a rule.
    But before I comment on this one, could you give us some idea of your archery skills and what you've noticed with the recent archery changes that have effected you the most.
    What are you noticing that's definitely different ?

12. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

I agree 100%. The various ranged special shots seem to be largely useless. If they weren't, we wouldn't have found ourselves focusing on charged shot almost exclusively.

Fenris

Echondas and Sulaene Moon like this.
  13. Billibons

Billibons Avatar

the last patch still reduced dps))

14. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

From what I read in the patch notes, it is one that made sense. You could do a charge attack for 2 ticks, or for 8 ticks, and both would get the same output, the max output. That was stupid and was a bug. Now that the bugs are resolved, the real damage output of the class will start showing and they should fix the related skills. Of course they would not fix underpowered skills if charged shot with 2 ticks was doing 800-900 damage per shot, who in their right mind would think bows need more damage if bow users could get that damage. Now, the high tier archers will see a drop in DPS, THEY will start complaining too, the bows will fall very low in the spreadsheets, and should receive a buff for the actual skills, making the class finally viable in a casual playstyle, and people will be happy. Just wait 2 years for chris to make a combat pass again!

Sway, StarLord, margaritte and 2 others like this.
  15. golruul

golruul Avatar

When people just used charged shot and not any of the actual active skills, that alone screams broken and OP. I saw some people even dropping all the active skills and putting that xp into the passives. This obviously needed to be fixed. The only issue I have with the situation is that the devs should have nerfed it much sooner rather than let people become accustomed to that.

Note that I would say the same thing if this happened to melee. At least in melee's case it won't be as bad because the mobs at least get to beat up on the character rather than being kited.

Now if the ranged active skills are so bad that everyone suddenly stops being ranged, then those skills need an overhaul.

Sway, Chrystoph Reis and Dhanas like this.
  16. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

All damaging trees (physical and magic) should be viable. I do think we're moving in the right direction, but when a large portion of the player base becomes accustomed to something (this is a prime example). There will be upset not matter how buggy/broken it was.

I do hope to see active archery skills get the buffs and balance they need to be useful, soon.

I'm sure the last thing the devs want to do is upset people. Just hang in there. I'm sure @Chris is on the job of making things as fair and balanced as he can, as fast as he can.

17. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Does the following formula still apply?

18. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

One thing is for sure this Age of Nerfing has to end if we are to do better...it has done so much damage to our player base ... if i had to think of a reason why players are quitting NERFS is no 1 on the list . People spend so much time , dedication and GOLD for their builds and it all gets wiped with one patch ... one free respecc doesnt account for any of that .

StarLord, Jaesun, Scooby Doo and 11 others like this.
  19. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

Agreed Elrond. At this point we're "balancing" against a vision that is counter productive to the operational reality of the game. Frankly, i don't see vision as much as a piece-meal/ground up view of the internal game systems. I'd much prefer a top-down view of things where balance is considered more holistically rather than knee-jerk.

Fenris

margaritte, FrostII and Elrond like this.
  20. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Agree, but at the same time i think most of the bugs/inbalances should be fixed as soon as possible and should have priority to the rest, leaving those things for this long time it become the new normal and people perceive the fix as a nerf.

I would like to add:
    Lately i heard many people complaing about melee being the only class viable, i disagree, in this game Archer and fire mage have always been the most powerful classes in PVE, because all the PVE is most based on AOE and kiting mobs, fire mage excels in AOE damage and archer excels in kiting and in ranged single target dps. I still see archer best class to take down a dragon ( that spend 50% of his time flying and so can't be hit by melee skills, and pretty immune to most of the magic schools) and fire mage still best class to pretty much everything that needs aoe and kiting ( zombies in Tartarus are an example, considering the focus drain and the high speed of zombies in the last wave, fire mage is the one who can deal better with them). Said that, i think, even after the various nerfs, archery is still a realy competitive class in PVE that can still do many things much better than other classes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.