Very Disappointed In Treasure From Highvales Two Stones Crypt...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khalest, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

If you were disappointed with that, don't bother with the crypt in the centre

Woodchuck likes this.
  2. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

You know,

I have heard for a very long time that "better loot" is coming in Shroud, but TBH, I really wonder what that could be? Is better simply ... more? More what?

I thought about that a lot when I heard about treasure maps because the first thing I thought of was, what would be at the end of this Mini-Game? UO Treasure maps were fun, but there was much that went along with it. It also created an adventure loop between it and fishing. You fish, get a Message in a Bottle (i.e. Treasure Map, find the spot, dig/fight, dig/fight, dig/fight... But even with the treasure unearthed, there was still getting the chest open.. So now locks, more poisons, deadly traps, etc. If you got lucky in the chest, you'd get a rare fishing net and the cycle would start over...

I digress, lets get back to the chest itself... What can you put in "loot" to make it better? Simply more gold? How about a couple COTO? More Gems and Fragments?

Supply bundles were a good idea, but we need a lot of expansion on this idea. Should encounter "groups" when cleared drop a chest of its own? A chance of maybe? Perhaps a monster carries a lockbox with better coins, coto, gems? And again, while we are at it, lets get those things locked! Skills to unlock them and dangers within... but oh yeah, again, whats in it needs to be worth the risk!

How do we ramp this up?

Does equipment last too long before needing repaired?
    Should repairs require more then simply scrolls and coto?
    Are consumables too weak?
    Should we be increasing the power of them and also what it takes to make them? Increasing demand and a place for needed materials to drop?
    What about other methods to get resources? Should chests in mines perhaps hold more ore possibilities? Maybe bandit camps in the woods more hides or wood?

I for one feel equipment in the game is WAY, WAY too durable. It should break more often, need repaired and replaced. Patterns are great, so lets make the underlying equipment MUCH more volatile and fragile. Push the need for crafters instead of a crafted equipment bloat.

Also, take this crafting specialization time to differentiate the crafters in the game. It sounds like you are headed there, and please limit those specializations to one per person.

Housing, Dungeons (traps, monsters, teleporters), Sieges (castles, keeps, towers, cataputs), Throw away gear, focus on the player, not the gear - the patterns not the pluses.. Make equipment need to be further refined in order to make levels in "affinity".

Devs, please decide a direction for the game, either equipment is a sink, or its not, but you have to find a way to make useful needed items otherwise you will never have meaningful loot. Make player dungeons suck items and resources out of the game on an ongoing basis... traps, lock resets, monster spawners and totems... But then you can't water down the mobs and rewards in there either.

Perhaps on one of the upcoming livestreams you guys can have a deep dive on loot, and REALLY talk about the game direction, whats supposed to be getting sucked out of the economy, what is valuable, what you are thinking of doing to make worthwhile to quest and grind and kill things other then XP.

3. Floors

Floors Avatar

Can we please not argue for less equpiment durability ? The way it is now is not annoying. As you go up levels you get better at durability and I always use my obsidian potions on durability.

It is already super annoying to repair things and making them constantly churn is not going to improve the game or make anyone happy except for the big crafters.....

The loot is already better than it was. Better loot means more interesting and useful things. You rarely get interesting things in loot, and it makes it all the more special when you do. Pay attention so you don't miss what you get.

Duke Olahorand and Elwyn like this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The fundamental problem with 'good loot' has always been that if something is good loot, then players will farm it endlessly often using instance reset mechanics. If the chest had nice loot in it, then people would just clear it over and over and over again. Same reasons why boss loot is crap. Perhaps when the quest system gets revamped, we can have 'first time' you uncover a world box or kill a boss you get something unique/special tied to a quest flag that limits it to once or only 'once every so often' - many games employ this as a method to prevent repeat farming of world spawn items. This is already done with things like the banners which you can only loot once.

5. Boo Ladedada

Boo Ladedada Avatar

they can also easily make it that you can only open the crypt once and get something nice.

Woodchuck and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  6. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

In order to define "good loot" you first need to define *WHY* you need it.

Then, you need to make sure that no one item is too much more powerful or valuable then another. For example, Gold and Silver. There are WAY too many specializations focused on the those two resources.

Spread out the need for items. Repair, Durability, Basic Crafting, FUEL, Traps, Resets, recipes, whatever it is. Its an MMO, and perpetual game, it should be about constant use, maintenance and every day living/surviving not one and done situations.

If more items had more uses and sinks in the game, they could increase the amount of things given to meet those needs. However it can't be simply GOLD. Things on a crafting vendor could be spread around the world in loot instead of buying it. Instead of always investing gold or coto in something, put real value to those items and let them be worth something instead of vendor trash.

You can keep something from being farmed by spreading out the value against the entire item database. making one thing too valuable just causes more farming of the one thing.

Jeb Ladedada and kaeshiva like this.
  7. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

One of the nicer parts of UO was that the chests were just chalk full of items. Lots and Lots of stuff. For the most part, all the stuff was needed by something or someone in the game - so you could keep it, and horde it, or sell it to someone who does need it.

We have tons of items in this game, but what we need are sinks for those items. just for an example, make powerful death magic require something MORE then reagents, make them use consumables as well, ones that are created by items dropped by monster loot.

For armor and weapons, whetstones, hammers, fuel, all the things that should be sinking materials so a fighter can be a fighter. A scroll to repair a weapon? No, no no. Start using the items that are dropped. make them create repair items, increase damage to items across the board. make the player get loot and use the non-gold loot to get more loot.

"Good" can simply mean worthwhile.

All these player made items supposedly going into loot... increase the salvage opportunity for components that went into making that item. We dont need more SCRAP, we need components, higher tier resource returns, perhaps when it becomes available, the "essence" of the item that holds the affinity level?

In order to make the loot good, you have to define why its worthwhile in the first place, and then people will want it.

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

you do realize that almost every scene has some kind of quest, what you are saying is once a scene is done going back become totally useless other than gathering / grinding, oh wait that is all there is anyhow , nevermind

9. Boo Ladedada

Boo Ladedada Avatar

Yup exactly. And yes I have played the game for almost a year

10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

In a game, that I can drop artifacts like 40-50 a day if I try, that these same artifacts are almost worthless as they drop so often. I new item comes out, I can get it in a few hours usually ( spider queen stuff actually takes a lot of time to get the stuff), I am not going to agree with ANYONE who says the loot sucks. Every other mmo I have played, to get things like artifacts took weeks, months, even years. In a top guild, in 3 years, we only dropped 5 iron necklaces and we farmed the crap out of those bosses that drop it.

I'm sorry you did not get 4 fleet flutes, 3 lich rings, 2 dolus hood and partridge in a pear tree when you looted that chest in one of the lowest zones in the game. You just might have some unreal expectations from a tier 1 zone.

11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I'm pretty sure that the outskirts zones are actually Tier 0.

And I played FFXI for 8 years, so I can confirm the artifacts that take months of grinding to achieve. Silly me even started another one during the last free week! At least I finished right away all the quests that it needed, but I imagine that could take more than a few free week cycles to grind enough currency to finish it off. (two per year, 10-15 days each) A treasure chest in a noob area? That's nothing.

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

People are conditioned to crap like that from stuff like Diablo tho. Or single player games where they hand out tons of stuff and don't have to worry about farming.

We used to call that Monty Haul in tabletop when too much stuff is given out.

13. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I believe getting 5g and a rusty fork after solving a puzzle that takes 2 hour is called "A good example of why F2P didn't turn the game around".

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

How hard would it be for them to make low area treasure chest's a one time thing? Give a couple thousand gold, but just do it once per character?

That way when players do spend the hour(s) needed to open one stupid door, they WILL get a good reward, and they can't farm it later.

Steevodeevo likes this.
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Or even worse, "It was already empty when I got there".

16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

There are quests that are one time things that some can get you 1000-5000 coins per. And yes, sometimes the chest has basically nothing in it, and sometimes it will have a good amount of stuff like woods, ores, scrolls, regs and sometimes like a meteoric longsword, even the low level chests. Some of the chests in the harder places like the rise when it first came out did used to have good stuff. 3 chests in the rise that respawned even had 500-2000 coin, repair kits, regs and scrolls. There was even a chest that had black dye in it in the rise. People complained about the black dye so they took it out. The coin and regs on the other 3 chests got reduced and respawn time reduced as it was probably just too much, and probably people who could not farm the rise back then complained about it.

Now, there is still 3 chests in chillbanes that still give out 500-2000 coin per with some regs and repair kits but not as many regs and repair kits as before. It used to be about 10-20 of each reg and like 1-5 of each repair kit or something but its less now. And once your higher level and killing bosses and high level mages and stuff, thats where the supply bags and artifacts start to drop like candy. Just like all the other games, you dont get the good stuff till later in the game.

What should be in a chest in a low level zone? What should be in a chest in a high level zone? How often should bosses and high level mobs drop artifacts? How much coin per mob of stuff would be acceptable? How many good drops do you think would be acceptable for a high level player to get in 10 hours of farming for them? How much coin an hour should a low level zone give? How much coin per hour should a high level zone give?

17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Mac, I recently got to explain to a new player that "that happens" when they spent two hours opening a crypt and someone had already looted it.

Reread the OP and feel his disappointment.

Now let's rephrase the question.

How many new players do we want to kick in the junk after they spend a few hours figuring out a complex puzzle?

If the number is greater than zero than we are winning!

Next let's ask generally, show of hands who would bother to mess with the pillars in any scene after doing their first one? If you did it twice, would you do it a third time or have we all wised up?

18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

2 hours if you do not know what you are doing and you are doing other stuff as well, once you know, then its like 2 minutes. Whats funny is I have done those pillars in highvale outskirts over 10 times. Almost everytime with every alt and quest resets. I know other people who at sequanna colossus that do that same puzzle there all the time too, and get that chest, but it does have the 2 quartz crystals in the room too though. I would not call hitting 4 things in the right order complex, the hardest part is finding them if you do not know where they are, and even that should not take you 2 hours. I figured out the sequanna one in probably 15 minutes, and its got more distance between the pillars and I failed 2 times. While in highvale outskirts, I am doing all the other quests in the zone, I hit those pillars in the right order when I get close to it from the other quests. Seriously, probably spend about 2 minutes to go and get that chest. Sometimes that chest has ore, wood, regs, kits, its rng and is sometimes a good chest.

Now, they did make the outskirts multiplayer only. This was something I was strongly against because of certain quests in those zones require you to kill something, and if you have 30 people all trying to kill the one mob, for example, the bogman in highvale outskirts, that can be frustrating and just might actually take you an hour even if you know what you are doing. As well, you have people hitting the pillars on you if your trying to do it, and when they do the wrong order is resets them, or like you said, someone has already looted it. This is why I always go into party/solo mode to do my questing. Wish they did not make the outskirts forced multi.

19. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Archer Room in the Rise... Elf Fighter... 10 minutes later... 17 gold, longsword and Baked Fish! <---- Good Grief

20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Make it a one time loot and make it a big one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.