Video Cards that work on Sota for $120 or less. Plz help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by majoria70, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ok guys well we have an awesome new player who has joined Sota. I have never met someone with so much patience to keep trying to play this game.

So this person is on a low budget and needs a new Graphics card to play this game. He says his preference is AMD *sighs and tries not to judge* ;) j/k since that is his preference. ;)

Can some techy community members and other players please offer advice for this player please who will purchase his new card on around the 1st of next month?

Thanks in advance and hopefully this thread will help others too who are struggling with video cards that just don't cut it for playing this game which is extremely taxing on video cards especially outdated ones. ;)

*Please note this is not a discussion on what is wrong with the game or the directions of the game. Let's keep it on topic to help those in need. Thanks you guys are awesome. I know you will be able to offer great advice*

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

majoria70 likes this.
  3. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

You can't get any minimum spec card for $120 or less.
    It is possible to get a 2nd hand AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB GPU from ebay for around $130-185.

4. golruul

golruul Avatar

Here's a helpful recent list: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12050/best-video-cards

Unfortunately things under $160 are usually garbage and are now losing to some integrated graphics solutions. So, for example, if you have an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G CPU, you are literally throwing your money away if you buy a <$150 discrete graphics card.

Also, with low-end parts, beware that both GPU companies frequently rebrand old GPUs to whatever the current generation numbers are. So the $100 video card you bought three years ago might actually be the same card under a different "upgraded" numbering scheme that makes it look like a current generation part. There's no way to tell unless you read reviews.

TLDR: don't buy a video card around the $160 price point. Save up until the low to mid 200 price points.

5. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Nelzie and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thanks to all who have posted so far. Our new player cannot post anymore on the forums since his limit is up. His current card is a AMD 6770. So here is a comment from him to you:

Sharok Alurien: Thanks for all the input, it's greatly appreciated. However, if I can't find a card for my budget, I won't be able to play the game...I'm disabled and on a very limited income. Perhaps I should try a go fund me project or something like that to help me get a decent card?...lol

Nelzie and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  7. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I purchased this for my i-5 12gb PC.
    Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 from Bestbuy.
    It cost me $110 and gives resonable performance in SOTA.
    I get 30+ FPS on 1920 X 1080 resolution.

It is not screaming fast but for the cost is great.

Nelzie, Jaesun, Elwyn and 4 others like this.
  8. golruul

golruul Avatar

Well, tell him to look through classifieds/ebay and the like for used cards. Definitely a gamble, but he should be to find something there if he's willing to put in the time. This is probably better off than paying a premium for a brand new low-end card.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thanks and Most important for him to know is what card to buy for his price range that will run Sota the best? He does not know that information so hopefully this thread can help. I don't think the price is negotiable. It needs to be $120 or less.

10. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Due to the current Bitcoin Mining Graphic Cards prices are total out of control.

It is very sad. But not long ago 150 Budget was not bad for getting a decent graphic card.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, you can thank the crypto-currency gold-rush for the high GPU prices.

Bambino likes this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Rentier and Luca Xante like this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Cryptocurrency mining has made video card prices stupid.

majoria70 likes this.
  14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I got a GT1030 from Best Buy for $110, works fine, and it's fanless too. I also got a 600W power supply at the same time because the box only had a 225W and it's a good idea to have 500W or more with a good video card.

Jaesun and majoria70 like this.
  15. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

No matter where you look the prices of GPUs are sky high. I would avoid AMD, only because SOTA doesn't seem to get along with AMD CPUs and/or GPUs from what I've heard. Looking on Ebay, it looks like GTX760 is in the $150 range maybe even under $100 and is still a decent card.

I just read the whole original post and noticed the player preferred AMD cards, best of luck finding one!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Chatele, Cordelayne and majoria70 like this.
  16. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Preface: Money doesnt rain from the sky - sometimes thats a good thing sometimes its bad. There are those who spend money they dont have, and there are those that hoard...

My suggestion is put aside what can be put aside today. Add more later till you can get the card you want, dont settle for a make do in the mean time and wish you had spent more later.. It has served me well this for over 30 years of computing buying, dont scrimp now because replacing costs way more..So if that sadly means you cant buy for another month.. Wait, it will be worth it.

Baratan and majoria70 like this.
  17. Morgana Pendragon

Morgana Pendragon Avatar

@majoria70 just get a MSI Radeon RX 460 4Gb from ebay. You can get it for $120 or less. It is under the minimum specs but just slightly and it still runs the game 18-25 FPS in most scenes and 400W PSU is sufficient for that card. The problem solved.

majoria70 likes this.
  18. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

19. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

There are GTX1030 with 64Bit and 128Bit Memory Bus, you have to watch out when you buy one. (@ts)
    But the 600W PSU is a little bit overkill, the GTX1030 has a 50W peak TDP. ;)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    majoria70 likes this.
  20. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Well I had a 225W so i still needed a new one, and when I got a 750Ti a couple of years ago (late 2015?), insufficient power caused it to completely shut the computer down less than 60 seconds after starting SotA. To be fair, there were two or three spinny drives in there too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.