Video Game Review "Shroud of the Avatar"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Johnwick, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

If i was to write a review of this game this is how id do it (forgive some of the sarcasm)

Shroud of the Avatar!

Forget Facebook, twitter, and snap chat! Instead join Shroud of the Avatar! This is one of the best socialite games out there next to Sims online! With this game you do not need a FB account or the such just jump on here and hang with friends and dance around in cartoon underwear, sharing emotes with everyone, you can even emote dances with each other! Hundreds of people dancing around in their underwear, pretending to be drunk, lay back in a hot tub with one of the toon hotties! (hopefully its actually a female, or that would be kind of weird!)

Buy expensive houses with real money ! (but still pay in game tax on them!) Oh shoot! No lot to place it on??? buy expensive lots as well! (hopefully you can place them somewhere or find them) or maybe you can find a nice personally owned town somewhere to place them! Forget living in an NPC town, those lots are reserved like fine wine! Dont worry though you can still stroll up and down the streets telling yourself youll never be able to get a lot in this NPC town, but youll still frequent it alot since the only place to sell stuff to NPC vendors are in this town! After all you still need to make gold to pay for those houses and lots! (Did i mention you can chat and dance the night away with the other users! Its 100% better than having a FB account or something of the sort!)
    Oh yeah i almost forgot this is a video game not a social network!!! (or is it?)

As soon as the game has picked what type of weapons and skills you can use its time to get out there and grind away! (get used to this , you will have to do it for long periods of time!) Who doesn't want to work in real life and also in your free time??? I dont know what id do if i didn't get off from a long stressful day at work and not have to keep working hard for enjoyment! The grind is great! Very mundane!You will kill at least a million wolves, bears and skeletons! Sell their hides , heads, and equipment. Keep in mind this will be a lengthy endeavor, your skills will barely raise, and when they do, you then have to go find "special" trainers for skills scattered throughout the realm! (use your social networking skills to find them!)

Also keep in mind you will have to spend gold on skills you dont need, to get to ones you do! there is no class system so forget coming in here and becoming something other than what everyone else is (especially if you love to PVP)

In order to be good at PVP there are certain requirements here. Grind as long as you can, then go to bed come back the next morning and see how far you've gotten while you slept!( yeah you get the picture!) Talk to other PVPrs and find out what skills they use. (you'll also need the same skills to be even half a decent as them!) Even though you may be flagged PVP, understand that the ones that are not flagged can attack you! As you are running to an Ankh to res, or your boy/girl is rezzing you, the blue that just killed you will just run out of scene and reset to non pvp, and there's nothing you can do about it! Talk about flipping the tables on grieving! Now the non pvp can grief you!!! Such a great new way to run a game!

PVE/RP etc.... This game is the best game out there for you! Everything is slighted towards you! You will get pretty much all you want! Shroud of the Avatar loves you! Just ask or complain! You'll get what you want! Remember its always 5 to 1 when it comes to PVP! "Ask and you shall receive" You will be able to RP your hearts out, with no consequences! Talk all that smack!!! "I am death and all that comes into line with me will fall!" Pay close attention to the "Un-flagged rating" when coming into contact with this type of RP'r! Don't worry they will never flag PVP anyway!

Crafting, MY GOD!!!! Talk about a second job! Crafting is probably the most boring process in the game, too many resources needed for simple stuff and barely enough resource in one node! You will be out gathering most of your time in the game and if your smart be in Single player while doing it as to not run out of resource because some other jerk just came by while you were fighting those 5 red spiders protecting the node, just to find out that jerk took it while you were fighting and if your lucky when you do finish with the spiders you get more than 1 or 2 pieces of that resource! (Here's a side note -While adventuring out there, you will never be able to find a powerful weapon, armor, or a true pile of gold from that monster that took you and 5 other friends to drop, you may get 10gp for that battle that took forever for nothing!)

The most powerful weapons will be "made by other players"
    So if your looking for a not so powerful weapon they sell them for 20,000gp on public vendors (yep that means more grinding for you!) Crafting will cost you a lot of gold if you buy recipes, 250 gold a pop, between the prices of recipes, skills, and equipment you will be broke most of the time and have to choose one, or the other when spending! (again more grinding for you!) Understand there will be ridiculous amounts of resources for simple items, that really shouldn't take that much to make.

This game is not even close to UO, WoW, ESO, EQ or Black Desert, so if you were expecting the same type of game, it is not! This is not an exciting adventure it is more of a second job and closer to a Second life type of game! Some people have real jobs and families , and not a lot of time on their hands to play a game like this, personally i dont want a second job, and im sure others dont either.

Personally i want to have more treasure for creatures i kill, the ability to play a class, and i would like to find superior weapons and armor on boss monsters, as well as decent amounts of gold. that can not be received any other way but buy actually earning it. I want a decent PVP set up, and if your not flagged PVP then you should not be able to partake in PVP things! example; more resource, weapons armor, titles, to name a few Things like that should be EARNED and not just received since others have it!

Finale notes: Scoring 1 - 10
    Creativity 8
    Game Graphics 8
    Game Play 5
    Enjoyment 4
    Production 5
    Stability 3 (takes too long to load into game and certain scenes, some are broken and need to be fixed)

Personally i expected a lot more based on the designers.

DISCLAIMER -
    Understand these are just my personal opinions.

2. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

probably the most accurate review oi have ever read.... the devs need to take a step back and look at the direction this game is going and then change it.

3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

If anyone actually expected this, then they are simply foolish. Let's wait until it is 'complete' before comparing it to these big budget titles. :) Thanks for your pledge btw, it will go to making this game great!

FWIW, i believe crafting is about to change again, and targeting we all know is a work-in-progress.. and many story related features are yet to be placed. I think it's a good thing that this game isn't actually finished or feature complete yet! :) I'd be upset otherwise! :p

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I have to agree with the OP, it does seem like more of a social network than anything else, PVP is horrible, skill gain is horrible, drops are horrible, crafting and adventuring are mind numbing, too much repetitive things and way too much time needed to be put into a game. At times it does seem like a second job. All i can do is hope for the best, but the future looks sort of bleak to me. Ive actually moved on and started playing other games, to kill time until final release. Then hopefully things will look brighter!

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's a fairly accurate review of the current state. I'm very hopeful that much of this will change over the next 7 to 8 months.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I wouldn't score the current state of the game as low as you have in all areas. But there are a lot of warts that you generally address fairly in your narrative.

Johnwick, Kaisa, Ice Queen and 3 others like this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

You have posted some stuff I agree with and some stuff i disagree with, ive no issue with blue healers jumping in heck thats half the fun BUT they should pay a cosiquence like an hour or two real life pvp flag. Ur gonna jump in u need to pay up, congrats now u can be ganked and looted welcome to the club.

The game has real issues I have faith they will fix them eventually.

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

:p:cool:
    ;)Hum about the only thing good in the whole review - Not like the other games :cool: YEAH

And PvP not like other PvP games :p YEAH

Other than that clearly this game is NOT for players that want anything like WoW, ESO, EQ . . . . . :) This game is something different - YEAH

This is exactly what they are looking for :D

This is very much like UO when it first started :rolleyes: - to bad so many players want to open the box run out and wala kill anything and everything.o_O

I remember Uo when you HAD to kill a rabbit :confused:, use ALL of it to get stuff and gain over TIME. and thankfully what is not like UO is the pathetic (Lame) PK;) type player who wants nothing to do with the game just wants to be a malcontent. :p:D

YEAH:D:cool::p;):)

DLTDHYOTBS:oops:

9. Olddog

Olddog Avatar

I dont want a stinking wow game either, I want a uo clone that is this generation.

But yea crafting is not fun to do, so much grinding and in a few month nothing but repair kits.

10. Juzzie

Juzzie Avatar

I agree with the OP, and some others I have thousands of dollars invested and im worried. :confused:

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

. The first thing i thought when i started to read this was "man, this guy really wants an addon store house"

If i were looking for reviews id probably look for one with more unbiased facts. I dont tinker with housing too much in this game so i dunno much about it, but you left some important stuff out i think >.>

12. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Id rather this game be more like Wurm online than any of those :)
    but thats just me. if you dont know wurm online, it takes forever to do anything, and its great.

13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I love games where time investment is rewarded as long as its not all cookie cutter.

I.e. take a long time to be a mage and all mages are the same =yuk

Johnwick, Dirty Deeds, vallo and 3 others like this.
  14. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

And I love where sorceresses rule. Takes along time to get this dark;):rolleyes::p.

15. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

takes balance and a bit of faith.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Nothing like UO? The way you describe it -- grinding, boring crafting, consensual PvP, and people buying stuff with real cash -- makes it sound exactly like Trammel.

17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ebay was the ingame store for uo, just saying.

However crafting was great in uo.

18. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

OP: it seems pretty obvious this game is being designed to cater for a very select group of backers. I don't like it much either. If that's not your cup of tea, then unfortunately, this is not the droid you're looking for. I'm thinking about selling off my pledge as well. :D

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

And I dont agree with any of this.

Pretty much just better crafting, long flags for blue healers. And its too social focused and less other things I like..:D

Womby, mikeaw1101 and blaquerogue like this.
  20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I agree with he fact you should earn stuff in PVP for PVP. too much is just given without earning it.

Johnwick and Ristra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.