View from the Newb Nest

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by grandmaJOY, Aug 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Traveling via the World map is a lovely mechanic. It is rather amazing to see the world from that perspective and I've never played a game that does this.

Thanks to you lovely forumites I am now talking to vendors! And also buying stuff, Huzzah! However, these conversations have led to more questions (imagine that), so without further ado, on to the questions:

1. In talking to vendors I am being offered apprenticeships. Couldn’t find any info on wiki thus my questions -- What does apprenticing actually do? Can you apprentice with more than one crafter? If so, can this be done simultaneously?

2. Surveys: I looked up Survey on the wiki and all it says is: "increases survey distance for Foraging nodes."

But what are surveys? Are they a thing/quest that you receive to find materials? Does it simply refer to the distance at which you can see a material node? Both perhaps?

3. Mounts: do they serve a purpose beyond cosmetics? If so, will I move faster than just sprinting? (Because yes, moving fast is quite important to me so I've already discovered and trained the skill=) If I cast Sprint will the mount move faster? I have read several posts about how to get one, so I'm good there, just wondering about purpose. If they don't help me move faster than I'll wait to acquire one.

As always, thanks to all the good people that are taking the time to visit the Newb Nest and help the fledgling avatar fly.

Beaumaris and Violet Ronso like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

these apprenticeships are short quests to introduce you to crafting. if you already have the needed materials on you, you can complete one in three minutes tops. there's one offered near each of the three old starter areas, though everyone is funneled through solace bridge now. i THINK you can only do one, but they are all the same.

not surveys, survey. this is the distance at which nodes will start their yellowish-green pulsing to make them easy to spot. i THINK right now it's set to a standard distance, and so taking it past what you need for any skills below it may not be useful.

yes, mounts are quite fast. no, you casting sprint on yourself will not make the horse move faster, but there are horse-related innates to make them faster in the tactics tree.

grandmaJOY, Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
  3. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Thank you Alley Oop! As to Survey, I have noticed the greenish glow, wasn't sure if it meant anything so thank you for clarifying. You are making it sound like it is a skill - I'm assuming innate/passive but I will take a look for it tomorrow when I log into game.

And Horses just became a priority for me<3

Beaumaris likes this.
  4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Yes! Innates/Passives are still called skills! But they are Innate skills!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.